Spruce Knob closed?

Spruce Knob closed?

September 7th, 2005, 6:19 am #1

Hi all. Just returned from a quick east coast trip (timed to coincide with the convention even though we couldn't make the actual convention) and managed to get 7 hp's in 6 days. Not a record by any means but pretty good for us since we highpoint with 3 kids.

Our one disappointment was W. Virginia. We had hoped to get it on our way home and went 2 hours out of way to find ourselves facing a road closed sign about 10 miles from the highpoint. There was a logging truck coming down with some not too friendly guys that informed us we needed to basically head back to where-ever we came from. Not being familiar with the area and not having any directions other than those from Don Holmes book, we ended up just turning for home. We ran across someone else trying to make it to the hp that also seemed surprised to find it inaccessible (at least from that direction).

I guess my question is 3-fold. Why is the road closed? How long is it closed? Is this a periodic thing? And was there another way in? O.K. I realize that was 4 questions.

I tend to be an glass half-full kinda person and at least this hp is in a pretty area that I won't mind returning to at some point. I have to admit, it was pretty frustrating at the time though...

JulieS
LaGrange, IN

September 8th, 2005, 4:46 am #2

Like you, I was visiting a few HPs before the convention, and ran into the same Road Closed sign. Unlike you, I had no intention of returning to WV, so I hiked in from the barriers. It was 8.5 miles to the HP! I'm glad I did it, but paid the price with sore feet and legs for days. The road work consists of clearing trees and brush from the side of the road. The logs are removed, and the brush is shredded and dumped in the woods. I don't know if this happens often, but it looked they would be busy for quite a while. As I reached the turn off for the final 1.7 miles to the highpoint, a member of the road crew asked why I didn't approach from the other side? Again, like you, I did not have a map that showed the alternate approach, but it was open. In fact, two cars arrived at the HP as I was beginning my descent. After returning home, the road atlas clearly shows the alternate road in.

September 8th, 2005, 1:05 pm #3

Hi all. Just returned from a quick east coast trip (timed to coincide with the convention even though we couldn't make the actual convention) and managed to get 7 hp's in 6 days. Not a record by any means but pretty good for us since we highpoint with 3 kids.

Our one disappointment was W. Virginia. We had hoped to get it on our way home and went 2 hours out of way to find ourselves facing a road closed sign about 10 miles from the highpoint. There was a logging truck coming down with some not too friendly guys that informed us we needed to basically head back to where-ever we came from. Not being familiar with the area and not having any directions other than those from Don Holmes book, we ended up just turning for home. We ran across someone else trying to make it to the hp that also seemed surprised to find it inaccessible (at least from that direction).

I guess my question is 3-fold. Why is the road closed? How long is it closed? Is this a periodic thing? And was there another way in? O.K. I realize that was 4 questions.

I tend to be an glass half-full kinda person and at least this hp is in a pretty area that I won't mind returning to at some point. I have to admit, it was pretty frustrating at the time though...

JulieS
LaGrange, IN
We experienced a similar issue in 2000 when we did our swing through the mid-Atlantic states (trip report under the "highpointing" pulldown on my WWW site). When we were there, they were actually resurfacing the road, not just clearing brush.

If you continue a couple of miles north on the main road from where the "usual" turnoff is, there is an alternate route that winds over hill and dale and gets you to Spruce Knob. If you see a U.S. Post Office on your right, you've gone too far, but they'll be happy to redirect you yet again (and their directions were much clearer than the construction workers' sketchy description). At the time, we were using my handheld GPS, so didn't have a road map. These days, I'd be able to check even the small country roads on my Garmin iQue3600 and we would have had an easier time of it. Ah, technology...

September 11th, 2005, 12:09 am #4

JulieS
LaGrange, IN
I ran into the same problem at Spruce Knob. However, since I had Paul's book with me, I noticed that there was a road coming in from the northwest side of the map he had drawn. I decided to drive down to the diner on the corner where I turned off the highway and ask if there was another way in. I was directed to take Route 28 past the town of Cherry Grove and to look for a road on the right side just as you start to climb the uphill grade. (If memory serves, it was a signed road to Spruce Lake.) It was about a 20 mile drive on a gravel/dirt road from Route 28 and added 50+ miles to the trip, but it was better than hiking 15+ miles on the closed road. Hope this helps. Also, if you stop at the diner for directions, thank them for the help and consider have a meal there. I really wanted to do this after the hike, but I was trying to do MD and PA that day and I was running short on daylight.

September 12th, 2005, 4:00 pm #5

Thanks. I guess the lesson we've learned from this is to research alternate routes BEFORE we head out on a trip. We only had a limited amount of time so we wouldn't have been able to drive that far anyway but we'll definitely look into things better before our next outing.