Recommend a 3 day hike/trek to me, please!

Recommend a 3 day hike/trek to me, please!

November 13th, 2006, 8:25 pm #1

Do you have a 3 day hike trail to recommendation for us???
We can go on 22nd of October so I'm guessing it will be cold but if you have advice and a trail I would love to hear it.
thanks

November 13th, 2006, 9:11 pm #2

You might want to give us an idea of where you live so we can make a reasonable recommendation. Also, do you have access to a time machine? Oct 22 was three weeks ago. Do you mean November 22?

-dave-

November 14th, 2006, 7:17 pm #3

Nov 22nd is correct, and I'm in NY but I don't mind flying in the US for a good trail.
thanks

November 15th, 2006, 2:50 am #4

I suspect the NE and west to have iffy weather. Big Bend? Canyon country? (Grand Canyon, Dark Canyon, Canyonlands) Fly to Charlotte, get car and head up to Smokies or the AT.

November 15th, 2006, 1:17 pm #5

Nov 22nd is correct, and I'm in NY but I don't mind flying in the US for a good trail.
thanks
My son is going to the Superior Hiking Trail in Tettegouche State Park, Minnesota with the UWSP Outdoor Edventures program November 22-26. Called one of the Top 10 Hiking Trails by Backpacker Magazine. You could also drive further north and do the Minnesota State highpoint Eagle Mountain. Make sure to check out Betty's Pies north of Two Harbors for a good meal. Grand Marais, MN is also a neat town.

Check out this link for other ideas:

http://www.thebackpacker.com/trails/

November 16th, 2006, 8:56 am #6

We can go on 22nd of October so I'm guessing it will be cold but if you have advice and a trail I would love to hear it.
thanks
You can come join us for a great hike on November 24. It's one of my favorite trails in the world: Ka'au Crater. You climb up this series of waterfalls, come out at a mostly unknown swamp-filled crater, and then climb to the top of a ridge overlooking everything for miles around.

Just book a quick flight to Hawaii. See you there!

p.s. Seems that there's still a lot of variables. Do you like snow-hiking? How far are you willing to fly/drive from NY? The area around Bear Mtn./ Frissell on the CT/MA border is pretty nice and would be probably doable even if there is already snow. There's a kinda obvious loop that would take 2 days. You must know the 'Dacks too. The Mt. Rogers area would probably be pretty also, but to get foliage this late wouldn't you have to go down to around Georgia? Late November is a good time for the southwest too...

November 16th, 2006, 5:49 pm #7

thanks
The first thing is; do you desire a certain snow, possible snow or certain no-snow? If you want relatively snow-free, then try something not too high in the SouthWest. There are many choices in NM & AZ, try the National Forests or BLM lands. In particular the various Congressionally-designated Wilderness areas.

If you want certain snow, then you could go to the NorthWest, King's Peak in UT had snow up high in the 3rd week of Sept. The options would be ID, MT, WA, WY, CO, UT, and maybe parts of OR. As before, check the BLM & USFS lands.

Possible snow could be had in any number of places, but close to home is upstate NY, VT, NH & ME. There is public land and trails in those states, including the AT & Long Trail.

November 17th, 2006, 7:21 pm #8

-

November 18th, 2006, 1:08 pm #9

The first thing is; do you desire a certain snow, possible snow or certain no-snow? If you want relatively snow-free, then try something not too high in the SouthWest. There are many choices in NM & AZ, try the National Forests or BLM lands. In particular the various Congressionally-designated Wilderness areas.

If you want certain snow, then you could go to the NorthWest, King's Peak in UT had snow up high in the 3rd week of Sept. The options would be ID, MT, WA, WY, CO, UT, and maybe parts of OR. As before, check the BLM & USFS lands.

Possible snow could be had in any number of places, but close to home is upstate NY, VT, NH & ME. There is public land and trails in those states, including the AT & Long Trail.
-