Paramount Mtn. Trivia Question

Paramount Mtn. Trivia Question

Steve E.
Steve E.

April 15th, 2001, 7:26 pm #1

Just idle curiosity: You know the mountain at the beginning of Paramount pictures movies - does anyone know what mountain is (if real)? I've ruled out Mt. Sunflower and Elbright Azimuth!

Jimmy
Jimmy

April 15th, 2001, 9:57 pm #2

I was curious, too, so I wrote to Paramount Pictures and asked. I thought a mountain that looks that cool must be real . . . but it's just an artist's concept. You may notice the same mountain used at the beginning of some of their videos . . . the shot pulls back and you can see a lake/moat around the base of the mountain. Bummer.

Lynn Arave
Lynn Arave

April 18th, 2001, 1:29 pm #3

Some 15 or so years ago, I got curious on the
Paramount Pictures logo and decided to try and find out where the mountain idea came from. I knew it wasn't a real mountain, but the inspiration for it had to come from some where.
The jury may always be out on this one because history didn't provide exact details, but here's my theory, backed by some strong evidence --
William Wasdsworth Hodkinson was the man who started Paramount Pictures and he designed the mountain logo in 1914.
He grew up in the early 1900s in Ogden, Utah, 25 miles north of Salt Lake City. From his home, a 9,712-foot majestic mountain -- Ben Lomond Peak -- dominates the skyline to the north, rising a full vertical mile above the valley floor.
Although the 2 history books written on Paramount, "Paramount Pictures and the People Who Made Them" and "Mountain of Dreams" both fail to identify the inspirational mountain by name, here's what Leslie Halliwell who wrote "Mountain of Dreams" stated:
"The mountain he (Hodkinson) doodled on the back of an envelope was a memory of childhood in his home state of Utah."
After also growing up near Ogden, I believe Ben Lomond had to be the "Mountain of Dreams" inspiration. It's by far the most dominant mountain in view, though Hodkinson did exaggerate its summit a lot in the logo.
Ironically Ben Lomond isn't even the Weber County highpoint for that area. Willard Peak, about 50 feet higher is, though that peak is smaller in size and set back further to the north.
I climbed Ben Lomond a dozen or so times in my early years and challenge anyone who knows the Ogden area to find another such majestic mountain that could have been the inspirational "Mountain of Dreams."

Dan
Dan

April 18th, 2001, 1:48 pm #4

Just idle curiosity: You know the mountain at the beginning of Paramount pictures movies - does anyone know what mountain is (if real)? I've ruled out Mt. Sunflower and Elbright Azimuth!
Anyone found a pic of it on the internet they can throw a link to?

Lynn Arave
Lynn Arave

April 18th, 2001, 4:06 pm #5

I've certainly seen more flattering views of the mountain than this one, especially more distant views.
But to see one photo of Ben Lomond Peak in Utah, go to:
http://noj.weber.k12.ut.us/

This is a junior high school site, but Click on Ben Lomond for a mountain view, though it is a shot from only a few miles away.

Dan
Dan

April 18th, 2001, 4:11 pm #6

Anyone found a pic of it on the internet they can throw a link to?
I kind of remember the mountain, but need to see it once more. I think I have a match for it, but need to see the one paramount uses once more.

Lynn Arave
Lynn Arave

April 18th, 2001, 5:13 pm #7

I'm still not sure what you're looking for.
But -- The Paramount logo is so small it is hard to really see the mountain.
The best look at their fictional mountain is at the start of some of their movies where they show it big and encircle it with some stars.

Steve Gruhn
Steve Gruhn

April 18th, 2001, 5:22 pm #8

I kind of remember the mountain, but need to see it once more. I think I have a match for it, but need to see the one paramount uses once more.
Roger has a picture of the paramount picture on the homepage of americasroof.com.

Jimmy
Jimmy

April 18th, 2001, 5:49 pm #9

The picture at the beginning of Paramount Pictures is a much "cooler" looking mountain -- lots of rocks and snow and ice. Check it out sometime.

roger
roger

April 18th, 2001, 6:24 pm #10

It was surprisingly difficult finding a current logo. Here's a site that traces the history of the logo:

http://members.nbci.com/TeamFX2000/movies/paramount
Last edited by dipper on April 19th, 2001, 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.