Oldest Mountains in America?

Oldest Mountains in America?

C
C

April 17th, 2002, 9:22 pm #1

What are the oldest mountans in America? and why?

David Metsky
David Metsky

April 17th, 2002, 10:10 pm #2

From various sites:

The Appalachians are one of the oldest mountain ranges in the world; they were first formed 200 million to 400 million years ago and have undergone several stages of uplift and erosion. They once were as high or higher than the Rockies. The peaks of the mountains today are remnants of plateaus that resulted from erosion of the original mountains.

http://www.safc.org/ask/qanda/q10.htm

In contrast to the juvenile mountain systems of the west, the weathered Appalachian Mountains are among the oldest on Earth, comprising crystalline rocks more than one billion years old.

http://www.mountains2002.org/ranges/nam/default.htm

Here's a vote for the Uwharrie Mountains of NC:
Some 500 million years ago, the Uwharrie Mountains emerged from the soils of North Carolina's central piedmont, making them the oldest mountain range in North America.

http://www.gorp.com/gorp/resource/us_na ... _uwhar.htm

Basically, the Appalachians are the oldest major range. There may be smaller ranges that have some claim on similar formation times, but the Appalachian range is generally accepted as the first.

-dave-

John M
John M

April 17th, 2002, 10:13 pm #3

Appalachians are oldest, because they've been around longer than other mountains.

Taconic, Arbuckle, Wichita are "among" the oldest

Go to google.com and type in "oldest mountains in America"

patrick
patrick

April 17th, 2002, 11:44 pm #4

From various sites:

The Appalachians are one of the oldest mountain ranges in the world; they were first formed 200 million to 400 million years ago and have undergone several stages of uplift and erosion. They once were as high or higher than the Rockies. The peaks of the mountains today are remnants of plateaus that resulted from erosion of the original mountains.

http://www.safc.org/ask/qanda/q10.htm

In contrast to the juvenile mountain systems of the west, the weathered Appalachian Mountains are among the oldest on Earth, comprising crystalline rocks more than one billion years old.

http://www.mountains2002.org/ranges/nam/default.htm

Here's a vote for the Uwharrie Mountains of NC:
Some 500 million years ago, the Uwharrie Mountains emerged from the soils of North Carolina's central piedmont, making them the oldest mountain range in North America.

http://www.gorp.com/gorp/resource/us_na ... _uwhar.htm

Basically, the Appalachians are the oldest major range. There may be smaller ranges that have some claim on similar formation times, but the Appalachian range is generally accepted as the first.

-dave-
Did my 50 miler, as a boy scout, in the Uwharries; from NC 24/27 to the Birkhead Wilderness.The Uwharrie NF(46,000 acres) and the surrounding area is used by the US Army, from Fort Bragg, for war games. We were camped at the foot of Dark Mt and attacked by the US Army, who were having war games and hunting special forces soldiers. I awoke to the sounds of men walking through our camp and ordered out of my sleeping bag by a soldier with an M-16 in my face. Something I clearly remember after 20+ years. When they found out we were Boy Scouts........they were they BIG TIME PISSED. I will not repeat what they said ("@#$%*%$!!!..... Boy Scouts"), but you get the picture! The Uwharries are a gem, located NE of Charlotte and S of Greensboro. Haven't been in a while but there is plenty of hiking, hunting and Mt biking. Morris, Dark and, King Mts are some of the higher peaks

Fred L.
Fred L.

April 18th, 2002, 12:03 pm #5

The Adirondacks were uplifted during the Grenville orogeny, about 900 million years ago. They are considerably older than the Appalachians and are not considered a part of the Appalachians by either geologists or geographers.

JohnS
JohnS

April 18th, 2002, 3:41 pm #6

650 million years old. When they were new they were higher than the Rockies are now. These are definitely the oldest. That's about 4 times older than the Apps. Anything older than this and there wouldn't be anything left to call mountains.

Jeffrey Cook
Jeffrey Cook

April 18th, 2002, 9:30 pm #7

There are areas in the Northern Plains (i.e. Minnesota) where the exposed bedrock is part of the Canadian Shield, believed to be some 3.5 or 4 billion years old. Whether any of this region qualifies as "mountains" or not, I don't know. Either way, in this case it may be only the rocks that are that old, not the "mountains" themselves.

In the Northeast, I believe there are parts of younger mountain chains which include the remains of very much older ranges; I'll consult my Great Big Book of Rocks tonight and see if I can find anything interesting.

Mark S
Mark S

April 20th, 2002, 1:12 am #8

Their mass is made up essentially of sedimentary buildup caused by the erosion of the ancient Acadia Range that once stood roughly where Massachusetts is.

April 22nd, 2002, 8:48 pm #9

The Ouachita ("Wash-ita") Mountains of West Central Arkansas, which extend into parts of Eastern Oklahoma as well, are some of the oldest "true mountains" in America. They also are very unique in their formation as one of the few mountain ranges in the world that runs east-west instead of north-south.

The Ouachitas began forming about 450 million years ago as large beds of sediment were deposited in the shallow sea covering most of Arkansas. These sediment beds in the west central part of the state were thought to have been lifted up from a continental collision sometime about 245 million years ago, which is noticeable when driving through road cuts. All the rock layers are tilted supporting this theory. If you have not seen these mountains before come check them out, beautiful country out here. Feel free to contact me for more info.

"Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land. By land is meant all of the things on, over, or in the earth. Harmony with land is like harmony with a friend; you cannot cherish his right hand and chop off his left."
-Aldo Leopold; Conservationist, Forester, and Wilderness Advocate

Marshall Cole
Marshall Cole

April 23rd, 2002, 1:34 pm #10

The Adirondack Mountains are composed of ancient metamorphic rocks with the High Peaks area made of "anorthosite". This is a rock like basalt that is common on the moon. Age dating shows the anorthosite was formed about 1.2 billion years ago, and then was uplifted about 900 million years ago during the Grenville Orogeny. This is substantially older than any part of the Appalachians and the Ouchitas.