Ohio in 2007

Ohio in 2007

August 20th, 2005, 2:59 am #1

My brother Bill and I traveled to Ohio in June to check into Campbell Hill as a possible convention site for 2007. The facilities are excellent and the people at the Hi Point Career Center and Logan County Tourism bureau would be glad to have us. You can check out more information at www.highpointing.com.

steve urbanski

August 21st, 2005, 12:58 am #2

The facilities may be good and the location is accessible, but there isn't any hike necessary to get to the highest point of Ohio. I prefer locations where we can have excellent group hikes to state highpoints. The highpoint mountain or hill should be important when considering what state highpoint to hold our Convention.

Ken Akerman

August 22nd, 2005, 2:16 pm #3

As I recall, there's a cxass 3.5 move when one has to scale the chain link fence. It's the crux of the climb.

Personally, I am cool wherever the conventions are held, but I'd like to have all states considered even if their hikes aren't 'classics'. Certainly Illinois' HP hike isn't one and we saw fit to have a convention there in 2003.

Given that OH and IN's HPs are close together, perhaps holding a convention in that region would allow for visits to both. Each by themselves may not hold enough interest to attract the convention. Together they might. Something to consider.

August 22nd, 2005, 3:13 pm #4

My brother Bill and I traveled to Ohio in June to check into Campbell Hill as a possible convention site for 2007. The facilities are excellent and the people at the Hi Point Career Center and Logan County Tourism bureau would be glad to have us. You can check out more information at www.highpointing.com.

steve urbanski
Key questions for every convention: What facility? Who will host? What other activities are there?

Pushing information to members is more effective than making them Pull it from a web site.

Having a summit climb isn't a requirement. For Ohio, how about the nearby cave tour, where we'd descend instead ascend?

The Midwest has so many deserving states with private owners who embrace highpointing and deserve recognition by having a convention in their town.

August 22nd, 2005, 3:33 pm #5

Thanks for your kind words. Of course, we are just in the early stages, but my brother Bill and I would be the co-hosts. Bill lived in Ohio for 8 plus years and is quite familiar with the area. Besides the club sanctioned events, we would certainly have other things to do. A side trip to Hoosier Hill would be an option. I believe the distance is about 100 miles between the two.

The school has a banquet hall withion the main building. It holds in excess of 400 people for banquets. They also have a list of caterers from which to choose. The prices we were quoted on catering seemed very reasonable.

Bill and I are in the process of putting together a handout on "Ohio in 2007" for this year's convention.

steve urbanski

August 22nd, 2005, 5:12 pm #6

As I recall, there's a cxass 3.5 move when one has to scale the chain link fence. It's the crux of the climb.

Personally, I am cool wherever the conventions are held, but I'd like to have all states considered even if their hikes aren't 'classics'. Certainly Illinois' HP hike isn't one and we saw fit to have a convention there in 2003.

Given that OH and IN's HPs are close together, perhaps holding a convention in that region would allow for visits to both. Each by themselves may not hold enough interest to attract the convention. Together they might. Something to consider.
The idea of both highpoints is a good one. I just id them both again, OH and ID, and they can be had in a day and still make it back for the banquet and meeting. I like the idea of spreading the convention around and not redoing an area until we have touched them all.
Hope we can accomidate all the interested people.
Chuck

August 23rd, 2005, 3:07 am #7

steve urbanski
There have been a lot of complaints about this convention (e.g., price, date on holiday, etc.).

I would strongly recommend that anybody who nominates a state be prepared to host the convention. It's difficult but it's also relatively straight forward in that it's similar to arranging for a marriage reception (e.g., having volunteers perform various tasks, renting a hall, keeping it reasonable, etc.). There is a core of experienced club members who are willing to help but just need to be asked.

While I personally have a sentimental attachment to Wisconsin, the only semi-cocrete nuts and bolts proposal is Ohio.

Management of the conventions will be topic #1 at the Highpointers Board of Directors on Saturday, Sept. 3, at 2 p.m. at the Purity Springs Resort. If you have comments, feel free to attend the meeting.

August 23rd, 2005, 2:20 pm #8

Thanks for your kind words. Of course, we are just in the early stages, but my brother Bill and I would be the co-hosts. Bill lived in Ohio for 8 plus years and is quite familiar with the area. Besides the club sanctioned events, we would certainly have other things to do. A side trip to Hoosier Hill would be an option. I believe the distance is about 100 miles between the two.

The school has a banquet hall withion the main building. It holds in excess of 400 people for banquets. They also have a list of caterers from which to choose. The prices we were quoted on catering seemed very reasonable.

Bill and I are in the process of putting together a handout on "Ohio in 2007" for this year's convention.

steve urbanski
Good idea to include Indiana in your proposal. There are a LOT of reasons to celebrate the recent successes at Hoosier Hill. Contact the Club Liaison and Helper for IN to help you.

If OH/IN is selected, we could invite the owners of both to attend the banquet.

Roll on, Steve!

August 23rd, 2005, 2:25 pm #9

There have been a lot of complaints about this convention (e.g., price, date on holiday, etc.).

I would strongly recommend that anybody who nominates a state be prepared to host the convention. It's difficult but it's also relatively straight forward in that it's similar to arranging for a marriage reception (e.g., having volunteers perform various tasks, renting a hall, keeping it reasonable, etc.). There is a core of experienced club members who are willing to help but just need to be asked.

While I personally have a sentimental attachment to Wisconsin, the only semi-cocrete nuts and bolts proposal is Ohio.

Management of the conventions will be topic #1 at the Highpointers Board of Directors on Saturday, Sept. 3, at 2 p.m. at the Purity Springs Resort. If you have comments, feel free to attend the meeting.

Send Roger an email TODAY to express your thoughts about our Club conventions. Tell him what was good and bad. Feedback is desired.

Some members believe our conventions have problems. Others believe that all our conventions have been great. Are they broke and need fixing? Are they fine as they are?

The Club's Board would like to get involved (as Boards typically like to do).

- John M.

August 23rd, 2005, 2:55 pm #10

Did you know that the Board is requiring pre-approval if you want to setup a booth at a convention?

If you want to sell or promote items of highpointing/climbing/hiking related interest, you should notify Roger so he can alert the Board.