MT. Whitney alternate route

MT. Whitney alternate route

April 10th, 2006, 12:04 am #1

Can anyone help with an alternate route to Mt. Whitney. I am looking for a route that "escapes" the quota requirement even if it is a longer hike. I have a narrow window at the end of June that I would like to use, but missed out on the lottery. Any ideas here, I want it legal, no sneaking and the possibility of being charged or cited.

Thanks

Jim

April 10th, 2006, 1:53 am #2

If you have 2-5 days (depending on your speed), you can enter north of Whitney at the Onion Valley trailhead, crossing over the famed Kearsarge area, then heading south on the John Muir Trail to Whitney. You still need a Whitney zone exit permit to walk down the main trail, but when i was exploring this a couple years back, they were still available on some dates at this time, and the rangers were very promising about getting them walk-in at Onion Valley. If you did the lottery, you have the california links to such places...i don't have them at hand. I could search them if you need them.

April 10th, 2006, 1:58 am #3

Can anyone help with an alternate route to Mt. Whitney. I am looking for a route that "escapes" the quota requirement even if it is a longer hike. I have a narrow window at the end of June that I would like to use, but missed out on the lottery. Any ideas here, I want it legal, no sneaking and the possibility of being charged or cited.

Thanks

Jim
Many years ago I climbed Whitney via Cotonwood Lakes.(This was before I knew about highpointing, we went to spend a few days hiking.) Taylor obtained a permit much easier but it required a much longer hike.I think there is a quota but much easier to get. We hiked for 4 days. Day 1, in Cottonwood Lakes, over New Army Pass and crossed country to Upper Soldier Lake and camped. The second day we hiked over to Crabtree Lakes via Guyot Pass and camped above Guitar Lake. Day 3 up to Whitney and camped at the lower camp, Outpost? Day 4 out. We did meet some guys who hiked in via Kersarge Pass. We saw very few people (<20 as I remember) until getting to summit.

April 10th, 2006, 2:24 pm #4

Thanks

Jim
I was faced with this last year. Check out the link below:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/recreation ... vail.shtml

The gist is that starting on April 20 you can try to reserve either the 1 remaining overnight slot for the end of June (June 26) or one of the many remaining dayhike permits that week. THEN, here's what you do:

Show up early the day of your hike. We stayed overnight at a motel across the street from the ranger station. They were giving out unclaimed overnight permits before 10 a.m.! Granted we were there mid-week, but the conditions were perfect. Be nice and exchange/cancel your dayhike permit.

Why get the dayhike permit in the first place? Simple - so you don't waste a plane ticket if you can't exchange it for an overnight permit.

BTW, the exit permit is a new thing, started last year or the year before. No matter what way you take to get up there, you still need that to come down the main trail. It comes included with your main trail permit.

April 10th, 2006, 2:47 pm #5

Ok, "waste a plane ticket" was probably a bad choice of words. There's plenty of stuff to check out in the area. Guess I had a brief bout of highpointcentrism. (Yeah, word of the day.)

April 11th, 2006, 2:11 pm #6

Thanks for all the rapid replies. We are going to try this around the end of June and will have several days, ten I believe, but would like to hit Boundry Peak and Humphreys Peak on this trip also. We live in SC so it is a long way to travel and we want to fill up the vacation if possible.

Thanks again.

Jim

April 14th, 2006, 1:43 pm #7

Thanks

Jim
Check this site out for information on different routes, permits etc.
http://webpages.charter.net/mtwhitneyhiking/dayhike.htm

Good Luck!
Bill

April 14th, 2006, 8:41 pm #8

Thanks

Jim
OK, so if I'm in CA, and I'm determined to summit Whitney (the mountain, not the singer...); and I can't get a d**ned CA permit to walk on lands that my federal tax dollars maintain...don't get me started on the injustice of THAT!

Does anyone know how much the ticket/penalty is for "illegally" walking up Mt. Whitney?!?

What can they do? Throw you in jail? (No.)

Some of you will say that they wouldn't let me on the trail...
Well, I would plan on doing the one-day hike, no overnight camping.
What if, as a hiker, I take a different route, off-trail.
Or, what if I start out at 2:00am (as many do), and get 1/2way up the mountain by the
time the ranger station opens...

Do they check you when you come down to see if you've got a permit?

Any answers would be appreciated!

April 17th, 2006, 9:05 pm #9

The website for permit availability is below:

<A HREF=http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/recreation ... .shtml></A>

OK, so if I'm in CA, and I'm determined to summit Whitney (the mountain, not the singer...); and I can't get a d**ned CA permit to walk on lands that my federal tax dollars maintain...don't get me started on the injustice of THAT!

1. What do you mean you can't get a permit? Did you even try? It looks like plenty of permit spaces are still available. Check the site above. You say you are doing a dayhike. There are still plenty of permits available.

2. Limited use permits are only required May 1-November 1. If you are a mountaineer, you could try climbing it in the off-season. If you are not a winter climber, there seem to be other routes avaialble that don't book up fast (but even the standard route seems to have permits available).

April 17th, 2006, 9:08 pm #10

Does anyone know how much the ticket/penalty is for "illegally" walking up Mt. Whitney?!?

What can they do? Throw you in jail? (No.)

Some of you will say that they wouldn't let me on the trail...
Well, I would plan on doing the one-day hike, no overnight camping.
What if, as a hiker, I take a different route, off-trail.
Or, what if I start out at 2:00am (as many do), and get 1/2way up the mountain by the
time the ranger station opens...

Do they check you when you come down to see if you've got a permit?

Any answers would be appreciated!
Sorry, my html link didn't work for some reason. Cut and paste this one:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/recreation ... vail.shtml