Mt Greylock (MA) - access to summit by foot only!

Mt Greylock (MA) - access to summit by foot only!

March 30th, 2007, 4:44 pm #1

The Visitor Services Supervisor of the Mount Greylock State Reservation has jsut informed the Club that the only method to reach the summit of Mt. Greylock is by foot, using a base trail.

This is because the auto road is closed for rehabilitation until July 2009.

There are several hiking trails that reach the summit. They vary in difficulty and vary in length form 4 to 9 miles, round trip.

Contact the Visitors Center for additional information if necessary, or visit our webpage for updates.

www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/western/mgry.htm

April 2nd, 2007, 8:09 pm #2

Hiking is really the only proper way to a high point anyway, unless you're in a wheelchair, though officially I gather any way will do. (haven't been to Greylock, though I grew up in Milton, S. of Boston). I've heard that for some HPs ie Miss., Ala., etc., there is little choice but to walk up the road (which I did for Sunflower; I walked from the grid, or guard. Also walked to Panorama from the tri-point (had to get under a fence) despite signs about bison; none seen).

April 6th, 2007, 2:38 pm #3

The Visitor Services Supervisor of the Mount Greylock State Reservation has jsut informed the Club that the only method to reach the summit of Mt. Greylock is by foot, using a base trail.

There are several hiking trails that reach the summit. They vary in difficulty and vary in length form 4 to 9 miles, round trip.

Contact the Visitors Center for additional information if necessary, or visit our webpage for updates.

The road was closed in May of 2002 when we did it. We biked up most of the way on the road. You might ask the officials if this is possible. You could walk around construction areas. We hiked up the last portion on the AT past the lovely little lake and cabin. It was a super ride coming back down, but break well before you get near the gate!

April 6th, 2007, 9:09 pm #4

Hiking is really the only proper way to a high point anyway, unless you're in a wheelchair, though officially I gather any way will do. (haven't been to Greylock, though I grew up in Milton, S. of Boston). I've heard that for some HPs ie Miss., Ala., etc., there is little choice but to walk up the road (which I did for Sunflower; I walked from the grid, or guard. Also walked to Panorama from the tri-point (had to get under a fence) despite signs about bison; none seen).
All state HPs can be approached by foot.

Essentially AK must involve a plane (to land on glacier).

And HI must inovlve a plane or boat (unless you live on the Big Island).

To what state HP should/must you drive (ie, virtually no walking/hiking)?

April 6th, 2007, 10:23 pm #5

Delaware, where the HP is on a road (subdivision entrance).

Alaska is climbed from the Mudrow (sp?) glacier w/out planes, but it makes for a longer trip.

NE's signs say to stay in your car as you drive across the bison pastures, I know I was glad to be in my car when a herd moved across the road on my drive back and I had to slowly creep through that group. Some of them weighed more than my car I'm sure.

-adam

April 7th, 2007, 4:51 pm #6

While doing research for my "Ozark Safari" last year, somebody told me walking cross-country or by trail up southern HPs like Woodall Mt. or Mt. Cheaha (MS & AL) was impractical so you'd have to walk up the road. I didn't get to these, but did walk up to Driskill (LA) though logging had made an awful mess of the area. Found a way around it coming down. I also walked to Magazine (AR) & Taum Sauk (MO) instead of driving near them, and to Sunflower and Two Buttes from the grid (guard) or fence.

I walked to Panorama (NE) on my 2d visit despite the bison warning signs (none seen), from the tri-point to the W. Had to get under a fence. I'd already had one of these critters walk right past me in Wind Cave N.P. Sat by a bush & looked meek and lowly (as per the hymn, "Once in Royal David's City") and it ignored me.

April 8th, 2007, 10:18 pm #7

Hooray for hiking to drive-up HP's. For MS, if you park at the bottom of the hill, there is an ATV trail that branches off to the left of the main road up. The (unofficial) trail takes you right to the summit, and is nicer than walking on the road. For AL, the Cheaha Mountain trail isn't thrilling, but it's a legit woodsy trail with some real vertical gain for a half hour or so. DE has a nice neighborhood below the trailer park to walk up through. So far the lamest one has been walking for a few miles on farm roads to get to the IN highpoint. I have to admit though that even that one gave me a feel for the area of the highpoint more than just driving up.

April 9th, 2007, 5:38 am #8

DE could be hiked to from far away, although most people just drive to very close to the sign. NE is the only HP I'm aware of that should be done as a drive-up to avoid the bison (at the owner's request).

May 1st, 2007, 4:17 pm #9

The Rancher that owns Panorama point and the tri-point asks that no one cross the Bison pasture between the tri-point and Panorama point. We do not want to loose access to these places by defying the landowners. If you must walk, walk down the road.

May 2nd, 2007, 1:46 pm #10

One thing has always troubled be about "walking up" the HP's:
Just where does one start to walk? From a saddle? From a trailhead? From the "bottom"? The base of a mountain may be higher on one side than another. IF I start walking up from one point, will that offend the sense of another walker.
I suppose the answer is for each person to decide for himself. But I like structure and standards - without them, I always question whether I have done it "proper".
Does anyone have any rules for walkling up? Or is it completely subjective - just what strikes a person at the time.