Mount Mansfield - October

Mount Mansfield - October

October 4th, 2006, 6:15 pm #1

I'm thinking of attempting Mount Mansfield in late October. Is that realistic, without dealing with snow-shoes. I don't mind walking through a foot or foot and half of snow, but I wondering if the higher elevations are going to be extremely deep by then.

October 4th, 2006, 6:37 pm #2

I've climbed Mount Mansfield twice - once via the Sunset Ridge route on October 13, 2004 (there was only a dusting of snow) and once via the Long Trail and the Profanity Trail on November 10, 2001 (the snow wasn't much more than ankle deep, but the snow was still falling). I did both trips in running shoes and did not need gaiters, crampons, yak-trax, or anything special. As always, conditions could change from one year to the next, but a drastic change should be apparent before you start your trip.

October 4th, 2006, 8:59 pm #3

I'm thinking of attempting Mount Mansfield in late October. Is that realistic, without dealing with snow-shoes. I don't mind walking through a foot or foot and half of snow, but I wondering if the higher elevations are going to be extremely deep by then.
The weather is still warm up here in the Northeast. Although the nights can see some freezing temps on Mt. Washington and Mansfield there is no snow yet. There may be a dusting or two by late October but you most likely won't see a foot of accumulation until Thanksgiving. Still shorts and sneaker weather for hiking. Enjoy the climb.

October 11th, 2006, 12:25 pm #4

You would probably be okay, especially given the extremely warm weather still lingering in the area. I climbed it this last weekend, and the weather was absolutely beautiful and in the high 50s (I posted a TR in the forum). Even if the summit did experience a bit of snowfall, I'd be willing to bet it would still melt off within the next few weeks.

If there is a bit of snow, then just take the Profanity Trail up the last stretch of the Chin!