Most US Highpoints in one day?

Most US Highpoints in one day?

March 27th, 2006, 9:04 pm #1

My father loves doing highpoints, when he comes up in July I am going to try and make some time to get to some of the local ones. While planning for it I bacame curious if anyone has a record for most done in a single day.

Thank you,
-Mike

March 28th, 2006, 8:57 pm #2

We publish such claims in the Annual Directory.

The 2005 Directory has 8 as the number of HPs done in 1 day.

The new directory will probably arrive in your hands on or about June 15

So on June 15 we'll have the current claim.

March 29th, 2006, 5:41 pm #3

My father loves doing highpoints, when he comes up in July I am going to try and make some time to get to some of the local ones. While planning for it I bacame curious if anyone has a record for most done in a single day.

Thank you,
-Mike
This came up a couple years ago. I read the record was 8 hitting RI, CT, MA, NJ, DE, PA, MD, then WV. At the time RI highpoint was really restricted, so I suspect they just visited the road sign.

I postulated that someone could get 10 in one day as follows:

Start at RI highpoint at Midnight eastern daylight time (this is critical), get to Mass turnpike ASAP to reach MA highpoint. Move on to CT trailhead and run to the HP (pick a full moon night it's probably about 3am now). Back to the car, drive to High Point, NJ using as much interstate as possible. Back to interstate to reach Wilmington, and nab the DE highpoint. Continue south on I-95 and use fastest roads to reach Spruce Knob, WV. Wind up to MD HP, then PA HP then get back to I-70 in PA. Continue screaming west through Columbus and interstate all the way to Bellefontaine and OH highpoint. By now it's getting close to Midnight as you continue west to Hoosier highpoint. As you cross the IN border, you gain one hour into non-daylight time observing Indiana. As you reach Hoosier HP, it is 11:50 standard time, and you've touched 10 HPs on a single date.

In addition to the daylight time (you'd have much better chance on summer roads and trails anyway) you'd want to have a group of at least three to switch off driving and napping. I'd want to try it in a vehicle with long fuel range (perfect use for a rental car with unlimited mileage). It's hard to imagine stopping less than once for gas, though. All eating would take place in the car, of course. You'd probably want to pick a Sunday because this plan puts you right through Philly, Baltimore and DC morning traffic. And the full moon would be nice as you're hiking at night on the CT highpoint trail.

I love to hear of someone trying this, I can't get my friends interested in such an attempt.

If anyone else can think of another way to beat 8 in a day, I love to hear it. Plans involving aircraft are OK, but who's willing to pay for it? Landing helicopters is pretty obnoxious, too.

March 29th, 2006, 7:35 pm #4

D'oh. You missed your chance. This year, for the first time since 1970, Indiana will be observing Daylight Savings on Eastern Time. So you don't get an extra hour anymore.

Sorry.

March 29th, 2006, 10:40 pm #5

That makes my concept that much tougher. Whether it's possible even in 25 hours is speculation anyway. And I officially can't advocate breaking any traffic laws, of course.

If this trip really takes between 24 and 25 hours, you could make the trip on the last Sunday in October which is effectively a 25 hour day when daylight time changes to standard time at 2am. Then an hour later it is 2am once again. Deja vu.

March 31st, 2006, 6:06 pm #6

There is a record waiting for every definition...

In the Directory, I use the phrase "Most HPs in 24 Hours" which eliminates the all-in-one-date issue and eliminates the effect of time zones & daylight savings.

Purists like to stick to one date. Mixing dates is unclean.

Literalists use the date concept but will ignore time zones, traveling westward across the country picking off HPs staying just ahead of midnight....

Most of the fun of records is talking about them, not owning them.

I'm still surprised that two sisters haven't completed the 50. That will be a nice first to own!

...so will a father-daughter team.

A mother-daughter completion team would seem to be impossible to achieve.

[now that statement ought to spur some family into action...]

April 5th, 2006, 2:25 pm #7

This came up a couple years ago. I read the record was 8 hitting RI, CT, MA, NJ, DE, PA, MD, then WV. At the time RI highpoint was really restricted, so I suspect they just visited the road sign.

I postulated that someone could get 10 in one day as follows:

Start at RI highpoint at Midnight eastern daylight time (this is critical), get to Mass turnpike ASAP to reach MA highpoint. Move on to CT trailhead and run to the HP (pick a full moon night it's probably about 3am now). Back to the car, drive to High Point, NJ using as much interstate as possible. Back to interstate to reach Wilmington, and nab the DE highpoint. Continue south on I-95 and use fastest roads to reach Spruce Knob, WV. Wind up to MD HP, then PA HP then get back to I-70 in PA. Continue screaming west through Columbus and interstate all the way to Bellefontaine and OH highpoint. By now it's getting close to Midnight as you continue west to Hoosier highpoint. As you cross the IN border, you gain one hour into non-daylight time observing Indiana. As you reach Hoosier HP, it is 11:50 standard time, and you've touched 10 HPs on a single date.

In addition to the daylight time (you'd have much better chance on summer roads and trails anyway) you'd want to have a group of at least three to switch off driving and napping. I'd want to try it in a vehicle with long fuel range (perfect use for a rental car with unlimited mileage). It's hard to imagine stopping less than once for gas, though. All eating would take place in the car, of course. You'd probably want to pick a Sunday because this plan puts you right through Philly, Baltimore and DC morning traffic. And the full moon would be nice as you're hiking at night on the CT highpoint trail.

I love to hear of someone trying this, I can't get my friends interested in such an attempt.

If anyone else can think of another way to beat 8 in a day, I love to hear it. Plans involving aircraft are OK, but who's willing to pay for it? Landing helicopters is pretty obnoxious, too.
Thanks for the information. I was thinking of doing 4 which seemed ambitious, but 8, WOW!

April 5th, 2006, 3:36 pm #8

I think the average time to do all 50 is about 20 years.

It would be intersting to have someone do all 50 at a rate of 1 per year, no more no less.

April 5th, 2006, 4:50 pm #9

I know there was a writeup in the Apex to Zenith about visiting all 50 HPs in the shortest time. What was that period of time again? Seems like it was around 40-50 days. As I recall, any serious attempt at this record begins at the top of Denali when you start the clock.

John M.'s suggestion is to attempt to get all 50 at one a year. Has anyone taken as much as 50 years from the first to last? At some point I'd get nervous that I'd become disabled or die before I finished the goal. An exercise in incredible patience for sure. So who took the longest time to visit all 50 highpoints?

April 5th, 2006, 5:55 pm #10

There are probably many people who did a HP as a child with no inkling of its significance, then got started in on the quest later in life as an adult. An 8-yo kid moans and screams his way up Clingmans Dome with the folks, but then as a 35 yo adult he sees the light and begins the quest for the whole set ... right there that's 27 years and running. I am sure there are people in the 40-year category, from first to last.

I'm at 14 years and counting. Hope to visit two this year, time, schedule and money permitting. I'll be happy if I finish the lower 48 by my 20th year. There seems to be an inverse proportion to the number remaining and their ease of attaining them (distance, technical level, etc).