MN, WI, MI Trip 10/14-10/17/10. What a blast! Easy hikes can be fun, too...

MN, WI, MI Trip 10/14-10/17/10. What a blast! Easy hikes can be fun, too...

October 19th, 2010, 12:19 pm #1

http://picasaweb.google.com/stever50505 ... 10To101710#

Pic's above...

I had a total, utter, blast on this 4 day trip out to MN, WI and MI. Can't wait to do MS, AL and FL Thanksgiving week. The only easy ones I'll have left are OK, NW, KS, SD and ND next late spring when the snows melt up north. I plan to do them all in one quick trip. I'm at 32 HP's now, trying to catch up to some of you folks. This is the most fun I've had in years and I'm doing them mostly alone. It was pretty freakish hiking Eagle Mtn very early in the morning by myself. I'm not used to hiking alone and I was worried there would be a psycho murdered waiting for me on the trail but alas, there wasn't .

Same thing with Mt Arvon. Great signage though... didn't even need the map I brought. The little blue signs guided me right there. Got there in the dark and hiked as the sun rose. Such natural beauty at these high points and near them. And the stuff you see and eat along the way is memories for a lifetime. Even the hotels are memorable, from the $32 ones (a joy to find when they're acceptable) to the more expensive ones. The Mountain Inn near Grand Marais was awesome for the money.

I was by myself in WI too, at sunset, and I was at the high point but half way up that tower I got vertigo and turned around and came back down. If someone was with me spurring me on I would have went for it.

And to get to see a killer museum like the one in Minneapolis to the Mall of America along the way, stuff to cross off my bucket list now. I thought being single again would suck. It's not so bad!

Cheers,
Steve

October 19th, 2010, 3:02 pm #2

There are no psycho murderers in Northern MN...just loons. I would have been more concerned about meeting a big bull moose in the rut this time of year. Sounds like a great trip. My wife and I just did FL, AL, LA, AR, and MS. Put 1942 miles on the rental car and had a good time. I have 46 highpoints and my wife 29. Congrats on your Midwest trip.

October 20th, 2010, 3:28 am #3

Great that you're at 46 ... and also amazing you have a wife that's into high pointing! I just met a new lady and ... she wants to go hiking this weekend. My soon to be ex-wife never, ever wanted to hike. It's a joy for me to be in the woods going up, up, up. I can't wait t see if my new friend likes the same once we're actually out there.

I'll probably be logging over 3000 miles after my upcoming MS, AL and FL trip as I'll go straight to Miami from DC to see family once I conquer the grueling high point at Britton Hill.

Yeahhhhh! Life is good.

October 21st, 2010, 12:14 am #4

http://picasaweb.google.com/stever50505 ... 10To101710#

Pic's above...

I had a total, utter, blast on this 4 day trip out to MN, WI and MI. Can't wait to do MS, AL and FL Thanksgiving week. The only easy ones I'll have left are OK, NW, KS, SD and ND next late spring when the snows melt up north. I plan to do them all in one quick trip. I'm at 32 HP's now, trying to catch up to some of you folks. This is the most fun I've had in years and I'm doing them mostly alone. It was pretty freakish hiking Eagle Mtn very early in the morning by myself. I'm not used to hiking alone and I was worried there would be a psycho murdered waiting for me on the trail but alas, there wasn't .

Same thing with Mt Arvon. Great signage though... didn't even need the map I brought. The little blue signs guided me right there. Got there in the dark and hiked as the sun rose. Such natural beauty at these high points and near them. And the stuff you see and eat along the way is memories for a lifetime. Even the hotels are memorable, from the $32 ones (a joy to find when they're acceptable) to the more expensive ones. The Mountain Inn near Grand Marais was awesome for the money.

I was by myself in WI too, at sunset, and I was at the high point but half way up that tower I got vertigo and turned around and came back down. If someone was with me spurring me on I would have went for it.

And to get to see a killer museum like the one in Minneapolis to the Mall of America along the way, stuff to cross off my bucket list now. I thought being single again would suck. It's not so bad!

Cheers,
Steve
I can feel your positive energy and excitement. My wife and I just completed our 49th state highpoint in August. We did every one of them together. We took ten years completing our journey. We will never forget all the wonderful places and people we saw along the way. My suggestion is to do just what you are doing. Slow down and see the wonderful U.S.of A. as you travel to each state. Wow, what a great way to see the country. Enjoy, enjoy, and enjoy.