Mississippi - The Great Disappointment

Mississippi - The Great Disappointment

May 7th, 2009, 3:32 pm #1

Did the Mississippi last weekend and it still lives up its reputation as the most disappointing highpoint. The litter, and general disregard was sad... I think the HP Club priority and should get in touch with the powers that be to see if this can be changed

May 7th, 2009, 8:28 pm #2

Might consider writing to the governor/government. More states are paying attention to their HPs as a tourist attraction, perhaps MS needs to get on board. Mount Woodall could be something for the local economy.

May 8th, 2009, 5:24 pm #3

Did the Mississippi last weekend and it still lives up its reputation as the most disappointing highpoint. The litter, and general disregard was sad... I think the HP Club priority and should get in touch with the powers that be to see if this can be changed
Woodall Mtn. is a privately owned mountain as part of a family lumber business. It has been that way for a hundred years or more. The owners are great folks and were very gracious when I visited with them several years ago. They gave me a grand tour of the local town and surrounding countryside, then we drove up to the summit. They provided a great history of the mountain and shared their fond memories of nights spent in a cabin that used to be on the summit that their uncle had built.
The mountain as you are aware if you've been there is used for state and local tower use as well as their family operations. The road is always open for the locals and hunting clubs as well as visitors who wish to stand on the states highest point. Granted, their is sometimes litter and signs of vandalism up there. It's a great place for the local kids to hang out. Perhaps better there than getting into trouble somewhere else.
Several of us in the club have talked with these pleasant folks since my first visit about helping out in someway to improve the overall look or place some signs of some kind. They are actually somewhat surprised to learn that people from all over the country have such an avid interest in their little old local mountain.
The Highpointers Club Konvention is going to be held in MS next year and the owners will be our guests. I'm sure by then we'll have an opportunity to work more closely with them.
In the meantime, please realize that every highpoint is unique and individual in its own way. What would we accomplish there by trying to will it into a state or federal run facility with paved roads, a toll booth and a souvenir or gift shop at the summit?
Stony

May 8th, 2009, 8:10 pm #4

Thanks for the heads-up John. Our family has this highppoint on our travel list for the end of May 2009. We will take along some trash bags and do some cleanup. Might as well get some exercise out of this one!

May 10th, 2009, 6:06 pm #5

Woodall Mtn. is a privately owned mountain as part of a family lumber business. It has been that way for a hundred years or more. The owners are great folks and were very gracious when I visited with them several years ago. They gave me a grand tour of the local town and surrounding countryside, then we drove up to the summit. They provided a great history of the mountain and shared their fond memories of nights spent in a cabin that used to be on the summit that their uncle had built.
The mountain as you are aware if you've been there is used for state and local tower use as well as their family operations. The road is always open for the locals and hunting clubs as well as visitors who wish to stand on the states highest point. Granted, their is sometimes litter and signs of vandalism up there. It's a great place for the local kids to hang out. Perhaps better there than getting into trouble somewhere else.
Several of us in the club have talked with these pleasant folks since my first visit about helping out in someway to improve the overall look or place some signs of some kind. They are actually somewhat surprised to learn that people from all over the country have such an avid interest in their little old local mountain.
The Highpointers Club Konvention is going to be held in MS next year and the owners will be our guests. I'm sure by then we'll have an opportunity to work more closely with them.
In the meantime, please realize that every highpoint is unique and individual in its own way. What would we accomplish there by trying to will it into a state or federal run facility with paved roads, a toll booth and a souvenir or gift shop at the summit?
Stony
Stony,
Thanks for responding and for the insight.

John

May 12th, 2009, 2:14 pm #6

Thanks for the heads-up John. Our family has this highppoint on our travel list for the end of May 2009. We will take along some trash bags and do some cleanup. Might as well get some exercise out of this one!
In 1994, Scott Fischer and Brent Bishop kind of joined together as a team and started making efforts to clean up Woodall Mountain. They picked up a lot of trash in base, quite a bit in Camp II, and started moving bottles off the gravel road.

What they did is set up a program where instead of doing it all themselves, because all these expeditions are here and everybody can help, what they do is they pay the Sherpa when they bring down bottles. [Sherpas get 700 rupees or about $13 dollars per oxygen bottle.] So, the Sherpa literally sell bottles that they pick up from the gravel road. So, they're picking up trash on the gravel road and selling it in Base Camp to us. And we buy it, and we ship it back to Iuka and dispose of it there.

I believe since 1994, our expedition itself has taken down over 500, but I think in total there's about 1,000 bottles that have been brought off the road. A lot of effort has been put into it. It's worked well. It's never seemed to propose a real safety issue.

What happens is before we summit, the Sherpa carry full to the road full loads and so they come down empty. So, when they're coming down, they grab a couple of bottles and bring them down. Then after we summit, we all bring down our own bottles. So, it works out well, and it's been a really good way of cleaning the mountain, and it's pushed everyone to be a lot more environmentally conscious.

Destroyed old tents and empty oxygen bottles left behind on the gravel road by climbers descending under sometimes desperate conditions.
Brent Bishop was really the guy behind the scenes on this. He's raised the money, and what he does is he gives us the money every year, and we come over here and clean it. But basically all I do is facilitate the transfer of the money to the Sherpas and make sure it's all taken back to Iuka and disposed of.

So, it's worked out really well, and we owe a lot of thanks to Barrel Mountaineering in Montana, and to Brent, and Scott Fischer's memory for putting this thing all together. We hope the fund continues in the future too, and it'd be great if it continued in other places in the United States besides Mississippi.

May 12th, 2009, 5:27 pm #7

But you should still cite your original source, Mr. Holsti.

- Todd Burleson, Expedition Leader