McDonald's Opens in Lone Pine

McDonald's Opens in Lone Pine

roger
roger

April 19th, 2002, 3:00 pm #1

I don't know whether this is good or bad news. But the Whitney Portal Store reports that a McDonald's has opened in Lone Pine.
http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/reports/

patrick
patrick

April 20th, 2002, 1:15 am #2

Now if the Corp would put one on top of Mt Mitchell............Life would be complete!!

Janet
Janet

April 20th, 2002, 12:49 pm #3

I don't know whether this is good or bad news. But the Whitney Portal Store reports that a McDonald's has opened in Lone Pine.
http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/reports/
What a travesty!!! NOTHING beats the cheesburgers and pancakes at the Whitney Portal store. I'm sure in no time there will be a McDonald's at Everest base camp!

John G
John G

April 20th, 2002, 8:29 pm #4

It's a travesty to open a national chain fast-food joint in a small town? I assure you most of the people there wouldn't agree.

Janet
Janet

April 21st, 2002, 12:33 am #5

Having lived in small towns all my life and witnessed small business owners forced to shut down because of Walmart, McDonald's etc. etc., yes, I think it is a travesty. The people who live there may not agree, however, they may when it's too late to bring back their favorite Mom and Pop restaurant. I live in the Florida Keys where the small business owner is a very important component of the community. Because of our high tourist volume, it is necessary to have SOME fast food restaurants. I am happy to say that they are few and far between. There are only 3 McDonald's in the entire 124 mile chain of islands. However, in the small town where I grew up in Virginia, chain stores and restaurants have taken over. I hope this doesn't happen to Lone Pine. Forgive me for wanting to preserve the scenery of a really neat little town from bearing the golden arches on it's skyline.

Bob
Bob

April 21st, 2002, 9:48 pm #6

The local Mom & Pop stores (which, by the way, I prefer) are not driven out of business by national chains. They are driven out of business because their "friends and neighbors" choose to shop at the chains rather than at Mom & Pop's. If you don't like McDonald's, don't go there; I don't. But they have the right to run a business and build a better mousetrap just like everyone else.

John G
John G

April 21st, 2002, 10:20 pm #7

Having lived in small towns all my life and witnessed small business owners forced to shut down because of Walmart, McDonald's etc. etc., yes, I think it is a travesty. The people who live there may not agree, however, they may when it's too late to bring back their favorite Mom and Pop restaurant. I live in the Florida Keys where the small business owner is a very important component of the community. Because of our high tourist volume, it is necessary to have SOME fast food restaurants. I am happy to say that they are few and far between. There are only 3 McDonald's in the entire 124 mile chain of islands. However, in the small town where I grew up in Virginia, chain stores and restaurants have taken over. I hope this doesn't happen to Lone Pine. Forgive me for wanting to preserve the scenery of a really neat little town from bearing the golden arches on it's skyline.
Just because you don't like chains, don't badmouth the chance that those people get to eat Big Macs.

I spend a lot of time in small towns, both in work and chasing county highpoints. There is a very simple way for those people to stop the chains: don't shop or eat there. The reality is that Mom and Pop carried 3% of what Wal-Mart carries, and at prices 25% higher. But in some areas, they do succeed in beating WM back.

In most small towns these days, if the town is too small to support fast-food, there are convenience stores that offer nasty chicken and burritos. Allsup's is one; there are many others. These aren't "Mom-and-Pop" either.

In any case, you'll probably find that the McD's is owned by a local or someone nearby. They are franchises, unlike WM. So it may be a chance for a local to make it. Got a problem with that?

Janet
Janet

April 22nd, 2002, 12:15 am #8

What I have a problem with is you guys giving me such a hard time. Roger stated in the first entry on this string, "I don't know if this is good news or bad..."
Seems to me that I am only elaborating on that quote. You're not harrassing him about his opinion. I'm just stating what I have witnessed and how I feel about it, as are you.
I don't support businesses that I don't believe in. For instance, when we built our home, in the remote area where we live, we did our business with the locals and kept our money in the community. We might have paid a little more, but we did what we believed in rather than going to the city, 45 minutes away, to try to save a buck.
I realize that a McDonald's in a small town creates jobs and that the franchise is probably owned by a local. GREAT!!! I'm just saying that I hate to see it.

Janet
Janet

April 22nd, 2002, 12:20 am #9

The local Mom & Pop stores (which, by the way, I prefer) are not driven out of business by national chains. They are driven out of business because their "friends and neighbors" choose to shop at the chains rather than at Mom & Pop's. If you don't like McDonald's, don't go there; I don't. But they have the right to run a business and build a better mousetrap just like everyone else.
I feel the same way as I don't buy what I don't believe in. Thank you for elaborating on what I should have stated earlier. You are correct that it is the people that support the chains that put the small business owner out.

Dave C
Dave C

April 22nd, 2002, 2:22 pm #10

What I have a problem with is you guys giving me such a hard time. Roger stated in the first entry on this string, "I don't know if this is good news or bad..."
Seems to me that I am only elaborating on that quote. You're not harrassing him about his opinion. I'm just stating what I have witnessed and how I feel about it, as are you.
I don't support businesses that I don't believe in. For instance, when we built our home, in the remote area where we live, we did our business with the locals and kept our money in the community. We might have paid a little more, but we did what we believed in rather than going to the city, 45 minutes away, to try to save a buck.
I realize that a McDonald's in a small town creates jobs and that the franchise is probably owned by a local. GREAT!!! I'm just saying that I hate to see it.
I visited the Keys a year ago, great time, the only Mickey D's I saw was in your Key Largo, nothing all the way until Key West, great party town there! We visited the Monroe Co FL cohps, which are in 4 spots, all 15'+, no where is there a 20' contour ont he Keys or in the Glades. Visit www.cohp.org, go to trip reports, to FL, to Monroe Co.

I'm not big on chains displacing Mom & Pops, but when I cruise the plains, I hit the Sonics for the Lime-aids, as I know what I will get, vs. the little shacks which may not be as clean. My little Mtn town has a McDs, and all the kids leave the HS, drive as fast as possible to it, then drive back to make their next class. It's not a good thing....

D