May 2007 - 10 state plans (MO,TN,NC,GA,SC,VA,KY,WV,MD,PA)

May 2007 - 10 state plans (MO,TN,NC,GA,SC,VA,KY,WV,MD,PA)

June 24th, 2006, 7:37 pm #1

Next May I'm planning a trip with my family to Branson,Missouri for a family conference & fun. We'll do some highpointing, starting with Missouri's.

Maybe continue to:

Tennessee, Georgia, South Carolina & North Carolina

Then up to:

Kentucky & Virginia

Finishing with:

West Virginia, Maryland & Pennsylvania.

We would then fly from Columbus,Ohio (where we'll stay with friends for several days)back home to Alaska.

I'm looking for any tips on the best way to do these, roads, routing, order of highpoints, etc.

Thanks for all help.

June 25th, 2006, 3:15 am #2

Suggest this order: Tenn, Ga, Sc, Nc, Va, Ky, WVa, Md, Penn.

Are you camping, car camping, hoteling? How much time do you have? are you looking for the most expediant routes? Do you want to see extra sights? waterfalls? cliffs? blue ridge parkway? other dayhikes? e-mail me and I'l make suggestions.

btw; are you old enough to be going to branson (ie do you have enough blue hair?)

June 25th, 2006, 3:30 am #3

Next May I'm planning a trip with my family to Branson,Missouri for a family conference & fun. We'll do some highpointing, starting with Missouri's.

Maybe continue to:

Then up to:

Kentucky & Virginia

Finishing with:

We would then fly from Columbus,Ohio (where we'll stay with friends for several days)back home to Alaska.

I'm looking for any tips on the best way to do these, roads, routing, order of highpoints, etc.

Thanks for all help.
If you're looking for slightly less standard routing, let me know. I've done MO, NC, SC, and VA by different trails. All of them were worthwhile but add an extra 1/2-day or day to the hike.

June 25th, 2006, 4:49 am #4

Maybe continue to:

Then up to:

Kentucky & Virginia

Finishing with:

Thanks for all help.
Hopefully you will not get the ideal answer. I find that figuring out how to visit the highpoints, where to stay, what roads to take, etc. to be one of the more pleasureable things about highpointing. This is specially true for the easy ones, where the drive is the biggest challenge. Take the suggestions you get, and then get out your maps and HP guide books and enjoy.

June 25th, 2006, 6:22 am #5

Your advice is appreciated. I'm trying to consider several factors but have only about 10 days to do highpointing. I might be biting off more than I can chew. If we have to skip several HPs, then that's what we'll do.

June 25th, 2006, 12:12 pm #6

Maybe continue to:

Then up to:

Kentucky & Virginia

Finishing with:

Thanks for all help.
My wife and I did a similar HP trip in April. ( I know others have done it faster, but we were on vacation and did other things as well!) You will see some of the prettiest and curviest roads in the country. We started in Atlanta. We hiked to all of the summits except PA. This was our order:
4-09 Brasstown Bald, GA
4-10 Sassafras Mountain, SC
4-10 Mount Mitchell, NC
4-11 Clingman's Dome, TN
4-12 Mount Rogers, VA
4-12 Black Mountain, KY
4-13 Found the gravesite of Devil Anse Hatfield, Sarah Ann, WV
4-13 Backbone Mountain, MD
4-13 Mount Davis, PA
4-14 Spruce Knob, WV
4-14 Seneca Rocks, WV

If I was to change the order I might have done KY on the same day as TN. It was suggested to me to stay in Asheville, NC and stay there for several days and drive to the nearby highpoints, but with the price of gas I would suggest driving to each one and staying wherever you end up at the end of the day. If you have specific questions email me privately. You can check out my summit log reports on Summitpost.org. User name is Holsti97.

June 25th, 2006, 1:32 pm #7

Did you stay in Norton or Pikeville the 12th? Man,....Omar, talk about off the beaten path.

June 25th, 2006, 7:02 pm #8

We stayed in Norton, VA on April 12th. Definitely is "Coal Country." We flew into Atlanta and flew out of Roanoke, VA. We put 1803 miles on our rental car. Highpointing is an expensive hobby.

June 25th, 2006, 10:20 pm #9

You went from Norton to Mt Davis in 1 day?!! Talk about the scenic route. Not only were you near DA McCoy burial site but also to your SE were WVa towns featured in 2 hollywood films (one an Oscar winner); Coalwood WVa (Homar Hickam: October Sky) and Bluefield WVa (John Nash: A Beautiful Mind)

Just think, Norton and Pikeville are considered the big towns in the coalfields.
FYI George C Scott was born in Wise Va, a stones throw from Norton.

June 26th, 2006, 3:18 am #10

That was the day my wife thought highpointing involved too much driving. We reached the summit of Mount Davis at about 10:00 at night and then still drove back to Seneca Rocks where we had reserved a cabin. Thanks for the trivia about West Virginia. The areas around coal mines were sad. Down by Sassafras, Seneca Rocks, and Clingmans Dome we saw beautiful, clean trout streams. The streams near coal mines were full of trash, tires, and old appliances. Kind of sad.