Lowest to highest.....FL to AK?

Lowest to highest.....FL to AK?

January 30th, 2006, 2:04 am #1

Hello,

First, I haven't been up Denali, I went to AK once with a friend and well you can see it from a long way away. I just combined where I'm from with that majestic peak.

I was just down in Florida at Britton Hill.....my ears popped driving up the 345 feet. Saw the little granite type marker. One thought I had was that it was facing the woods, turned around about 180 degrees and it would have faced out over the valley that the hill overlooks. Anyway sorry to write a bit of critique as my first venture to this site. I did see the brochure for this organization in the little booth. I didn't realize that there was a group of people that enjoyed the highest points.

My question would be has there ever been attempts to all the points going from lowest, Florida to highest, AK? I was thinking a neat way of doing it (don't think I can do it anytime soon, I have been to about 48 states though) and also a way to get in condition/practice for those higher ones at the end. Along the way the geographic center of the US in Kansas and that of N. America in N.D. Some thoughts. Thanks for having this website. It really seems neat.

Brant, GADENALI

January 30th, 2006, 12:01 pm #2

Yes, someone is doing (or has done) that.
I don't remember who, but you can check the Milestones column an A2Z from about 3-4 issues ago to find out who.

January 30th, 2006, 3:40 pm #3

Hello,

First, I haven't been up Denali, I went to AK once with a friend and well you can see it from a long way away. I just combined where I'm from with that majestic peak.

I was just down in Florida at Britton Hill.....my ears popped driving up the 345 feet. Saw the little granite type marker. One thought I had was that it was facing the woods, turned around about 180 degrees and it would have faced out over the valley that the hill overlooks. Anyway sorry to write a bit of critique as my first venture to this site. I did see the brochure for this organization in the little booth. I didn't realize that there was a group of people that enjoyed the highest points.

My question would be has there ever been attempts to all the points going from lowest, Florida to highest, AK? I was thinking a neat way of doing it (don't think I can do it anytime soon, I have been to about 48 states though) and also a way to get in condition/practice for those higher ones at the end. Along the way the geographic center of the US in Kansas and that of N. America in N.D. Some thoughts. Thanks for having this website. It really seems neat.

Brant, GADENALI
There's talk from time to time about folks thinking of doing the state HPs in order of elevation and other criteria. Two groups are trying to do them in order of elevation. See next issue for more details!

Nobody has tried to do them in alpha order, probably because of the BIG A state that comes up right away. Doing the HPs in order of states' admission into the Union is an attractive and relevant way to do them.

I suppose any of us could take our own list and figure out some statistic that follows the order in which they were done.

I think my order of doing the 50 was a ranking of states by the percentage of mining students per capita multiplied by car exhaust emissions, divided by red-headed dog owners.

January 30th, 2006, 6:25 pm #4

Just for the heck of it, my calculator tells me that there are 50! orderings to do the 50 state highpoints. In layman terms, it's about 3.04 x 10^64 possible orderings, or thirty thousand trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion ways. To put this in perspective, all such arrangements will be completed by the time I get around to attempting Wyoming.

January 31st, 2006, 4:58 pm #5

From that huge number, it would highly unlikey that any two Completers did them in the same order. There are 151 Completers. Some couples may have done them in order together. Most held off on the tougher peaks until the end, which makes it more slight more likely that two orders may be the same.

Wyoming's Gannett Peak will erode into Charles Mound sized lump before we see every order completed, however, don't wait that long for your attempt Scott!

January 31st, 2006, 7:29 pm #6

Just for the heck of it, my calculator tells me that there are 50! orderings to do the 50 state highpoints. In layman terms, it's about 3.04 x 10^64 possible orderings, or thirty thousand trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion ways. To put this in perspective, all such arrangements will be completed by the time I get around to attempting Wyoming.
... take in consideration of all U.S. locations of Wal-Mart, Hard Rock Cafe's and, of course for the "Artsy Fartsy Types," Starbuck's?

Man... this highpointing thing is getting tougher and tougher every time you turn around Timmy?