Kings Peak in 24 hours - Gear Junkie report

Kings Peak in 24 hours - Gear Junkie report

October 31st, 2008, 5:31 pm #1

Note the route avoids Gunsight Pass and goes straight to Anderson Pass.
Note the photo of that slope.

http://thegearjunkie.com/utahs-kings-peak-trip-report

November 1st, 2008, 12:26 am #2

Quite a significant deviation from the normal route and an impressive accomplishment in under 24 hours!! When I climbed King's this summer, none of the variations really appealed to me ... the Gunsight Pass route allows you to move fairly quickly even if it is more mileage.

November 1st, 2008, 2:42 am #3

So after the pass, did you stick with the trail or go overland over the hump to the right?

November 1st, 2008, 6:04 pm #4

On the other side of Gunsight Pass, there was a herd path that broke right ... well below the blocky scree. Blew past a couple of guys that broke right too soon and were making slow time. So I guess I did a very minor deviation - saved me a couple hundred feet of descent. Missed the same herd path on the way out and went the long way.

November 7th, 2008, 5:27 pm #5

Note the route avoids Gunsight Pass and goes straight to Anderson Pass.
Note the photo of that slope.

http://thegearjunkie.com/utahs-kings-peak-trip-report
It seems to me that you did Kings the hard way. I took the trail to Gunsight Pass and then angled cross country on easy terrain to Anderson Pass and Kings' north ridge. To return I boot skied down the scree slope, dropping a ton of elevation in little time. I remember thinking how happy I was not to have tried to ascend that way. I left Henrys Fork C.G. at 0300, took a wrong turn that cost me an hour, summited Kings in a September snowstorm, and returned to the trailhead about 1800. I was young, thin, in great shape, and traveled light, wearing a pair of running shoes rather than boots.