Jack Longacre 1938-2002

Jack Longacre 1938-2002

roger
roger

October 16th, 2002, 12:41 am #1

I am sorry to report that Highpointers Club Founder, Guru and President Jack Longacre left us today at 1:19 p.m. at a hospital in Farmingdale, Missouri.

We owe everything to Jack. We have lost a great friend.

Jack's health went into a deep tailspin almost immediately following last year's Maryland convention.

We are lucky that he perservered through so much pain and umpteen medical treatments to make it to the Oklahoma Convention (as well as the summit) less than three weeks ago. His presence inspired us all for one last time.

Jack still has some tricks up his sleeve. He finished a book on highpointing with the help of Jean Trousdale (who closed on a deal to get it published within the past week) and he wishes for his ashes to be scattered from the summits of each highpoint.

Jean incidentally has gone the considerable extra mile with Jack. She has spent much time with him in the past year and was with him when he died.

Highpointing will never be the same without you, Jack!

jean trousdale
jean trousdale

October 16th, 2002, 12:46 am #2

[Moderator Note: I am posting this message from Jean Trousdale that she dictated to Dave Covill -- both of whom are temporarily do not have an access to a computer. Both Jean and Dave (along with Beckie Covill) deserve sainthood for going the extra mile. Jean has spent considerable time with Jack. Dave and Beckie drove from Colorado for an extended stay in Arcadia to fix things up at the house. Here's Jean's message...]

Jack died this afternoon at 1:19, quietly in his sleep, as he had hoped; I was w ith him here at the hospital. He had gone into a crisis on Friday, and, for the most part, had only been marginally responsive untillate Monday afternoon. He rallied then, and was his old self for a few magical hours. Today at 5:00 AM, the hospital called. Jack's breathing had
become very labored, his systems had begun shutting down. After a final, relatively comfortable 6 hours during which he was largely unresponsive, he
passed. May God rest the soul of our founder, our leader, our dear friend.

There will be a memorial service at the White Funeral Home in Arcadia MO. Jack's Highpointing family is welcome to attend. I will send you
details about the date, time, and motel accommodations as soon as they become available. Thank you all so much for your support of him in the past
month...

Jean Trousdale

Dave Covill
Dave Covill

October 16th, 2002, 12:53 am #3

I am sorry to report that Highpointers Club Founder, Guru and President Jack Longacre left us today at 1:19 p.m. at a hospital in Farmingdale, Missouri.

Jack's health went into a deep tailspin almost immediately following last year's Maryland convention.

We are lucky that he perservered through so much pain and umpteen medical treatments to make it to the Oklahoma Convention (as well as the summit) less than three weeks ago. His presence inspired us all for one last time.

Jack still has some tricks up his sleeve. He finished a book on highpointing with the help of Jean Trousdale (who closed on a deal to get it published within the past week) and he wishes for his ashes to be scattered from the summits of each highpoint.

Jean incidentally has gone the considerable extra mile with Jack. She has spent much time with him in the past year and was with him when he died.

[MODERATOR NOTE: Here's a note from Dave Covill who is temporarily without computer access. Dave and Jean Trousdale spearheaded the "Fifty Flags" project. Jean said that a Fifty Flags poster was put up in the hospital room where Jack died and that it brought it a smile to face when he awoke and went into last lucid moments as Jean gave the nurses a tour of the highpoints]

Jack took a turn for the worse on Friday, regained a bit of himself over the weekend, but succumbed to cancer at 1:19 Central time today, Tuesday,
October 15th, 2002. I believe he was 64 years old.

Jean Trousdale has been in phone contact with me since late last week. She drove from the Oklahoma City area over the weekend to be with Jack, and was
with him as he took his last breath. She said that he cracked off a few jokes on Monday, but was very tired on Saturday and Sunday, only responding
in mono-syllabic answers. Apparently he slipped further late on Monday, and passed away today. Jean brought a large, framed Fifty Flags Poster from
OKC with her, and hung it on the wall at the foot of his bed. He very much enjoyed that, as we know he would. I find joy in knowing that he knew he
had done a couple of really neat things the last year of his life, including making it to the Oklahoma-2002 HP Club Convention, writing up his memoirs, and providing energy to us all as the Club created the Fifty Flags Poster.

His family, including his brother Dave and daughter Lori, were with him since the weekend, and we as highpointers were there with him in spirit.
I am sure he knows this, and the poster only served to reinforce this to him. The world has lost a good man, and we have lost the soul of our Club.

We will go on without him, and we'll keep a little bit of him in our memory always, but it won't be the same. 'Tis a sad day.

>From what Jean said to me, the memorial service may well not occur until the end of the month or sometime in November.

Jean has faxed me the following note, for me to type into an email to the Highpointing community.

Craig Noland
Craig Noland

October 16th, 2002, 12:55 am #4

[MODERATOR NOTE: I am probably posting this out of school in that Craig has access but he is eloquent in his comments to the Board announcmenet]

It's hard to really say much about Jakk without getting emotional. I'm am
really stunned, even though I saw it coming.

Well, let's reflect on Jakk. I pulled up this article on Missouri Life,
that was written awhile back, and there he is, plain as day. The real Jack
Longacre, or "Guru Jakk" as we preferred.

http://www.missourilife.com/peop007a.shtml

May God Bless You "Guru Jakk". You will be sorely missed.

Peace, Craig

Gary Iversen
Gary Iversen

October 16th, 2002, 12:59 am #5

[MODERATOR NOTE: Again I am posting "out of school" but the emotions from board members are so eloquent]

Wow...I was on the highpoint of Monterey County California (Junipero Serra 5,267 ft.) at 1:30 PM Central Time today, October 15th. I realize that I didn't know Jakk as well as some of you on the Board, but he was the founder and soul of my club too and somehow this sad day is also a joyous day in remembering a friend who literally changed my life!!! Many a tear I am sure will be shed today...but I encourage everyone to focus on the future so we can together ensure a vital and growing memorial (the Highpointers Club) as Jakk's legacy. Safe hiking Jakk on the tallest mountain of them all...
Gary

Dick Laliberte
Dick Laliberte

October 16th, 2002, 2:09 am #6

I fist met Jack at the 1996 convention in Minn with my family. I had just started highpointing two years earlier. He was very encouraging and positive and enabled me to keep at it. I got to see him again during the 1998 convention which we also attended. This year I completed the lower 48 and owe part of it to him. He was a great role model. His enthusiasm for this group was contagious. I have met many highpointers during the 8 years I worked at it, but none as intense as Jack. I feel privileged to have known him. Keep Klimbing Jakk.

October 16th, 2002, 2:25 am #7

Jack was a gentleman, in every sense of that word. Last May, my son's Scout troop was camped at S-F Ranch, a few miles (as the crow flies) from Jack's home on the road up to Taum Sauk. I took advantage of some free time while the Scouts were off mountain biking and drove over for a short visit. Even as weak as he was then, he welcomed me into his house and was ever the gracious host. We swapped highpointing yarns and shared some of our exploits with another highpointer who was visiting that day.

Jack may have left us temporarily, but his legacy will live on in the form of a club some 2,000 members strong. His tag line of "keep on klimbin'" will encourage the rest of us to do our utmost to join the 100-plus among us who have stood atop all 50 state highpoints.

Jack, we'll miss you, but it's nice to know that you'll be sitting "up there" somewhere looking down on us as we climb...

WingLady
WingLady

October 16th, 2002, 2:38 am #8

(Jack's favorite song -- as performed by the 230 or so members of the Highpointer Choir at the Konvention after our 1st and only 5 minute rehearsal):

Today while the blossoms still cling to the vine,
I'll taste your strawberries, I'll drink your sweet wine.
A million tomorrows shall all pass away
E'er I forget all the joy that is mine today.

I'll be a dandy and I'll be a rover,
You'll know who I am by the song that I sing.
I'll feast at your table, I'll sleep in your clover.
Who cares what tomorrow may bring?
I can't be contented with yesterday's glories.
I can't live on promises winter to spring.
Today is my moment and now is my story.
I'll laugh, and I'll cry, and I'll sing.
-----

Jakk, you lived life to the fullest and brought us a tremendous amount of joy (and laughs). Thank you for being part of our lives and for bringing all these wonderful people together. And thanks for all the watermelon.

roger
roger

October 16th, 2002, 5:11 am #9

There's a distinct vocal minority out there who don't think we should be showing any emotions regarding Club matters.

However, I challenge any report of a dry eye on the night that Diane Winger and George Vandersluis led the highpointers to carol Jakk at his bedside (even in his last weeks Jack chose to stay in the communal bunkhouse rather than staying apart) after Jean Trousdale made the first public announcement of the gravity of Jakk's condition.

You can listen to a midi rendition of the "Today" song (and read a repeat of the lyrics)

http://www.niehs.nih.gov/kids/lyrics/today.htm

That song will always rip my heart out going forward.

I have posted pictures from that night (and other Jakk photos) at
http://highpointers.org/jakk2/

And as if this isn't enough...

Jean reports that during the few moments of Jakk's last hours she read Diane's post to Jakk on Diane's response to a question about favorite conventions.

http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/mes ... 1033605733

It drew a smile.

When I see this Club coming together on what's important, I can't keep a dry eye. I'm sorry. Great job, Diane and others.

roger
roger

October 16th, 2002, 5:24 am #10

I have a page devoted to all things Jack at
http://highpointers.org/jakk2/

Among the links is one to my interview with him that appeared in the Apex to Zenith 2nd Quarter issue (I have a tape of that interview and may soon post some sound).

There is a link to a Missouri Life profile.

Photos include those by Gary Iversen, Diane Winger and myself.