It's beginning to look a lot like...

It's beginning to look a lot like...

December 10th, 2006, 10:08 pm #1

...time for the Annual Highpoints 2006 thread. Which ones did you do? How many do you have total? Which were favorite, memorable, failures, or done in a unique manner? And most importantly, what are your planned highpoints for 2007...your New Year's Resolu-points?

In 2006, i nabbed 2, bringing me to 35: Whitney in September and Humphreys in December. Both were especially important to me. Whitney i had been planning for 3 years to do via the entire John Muir Trail, and Humphreys was the site of my very first highpoint non-summit, 3 years ago. It was good to finally get those accomplished. A few inches of snow on Humphreys was a lot more convenient than the few feet i had to deal with last time. Along the way to Whitney, i got to 2 more CA 14ers, Split and Muir. Also this year i got to the highpoint of the Tucson mountains, the 3 highpoints of the NH Northern Presis, and a return trip to the HP of the Koolaus on Oahu. Gannett is my only remaining nagging HP failure, so that one may be my goal for 2007 (along with possibly NV, OK, NM, and the convention region if i can make it). I also have my sights on the highpoint of Oahu, the highpoint of the Catalinas, and maybe another easyish CA 14er like Langely. But my main resolution is to transcribe my John Muir Trail journal once and for all. Happy Highpoint Holidays.

December 11th, 2006, 12:00 am #2

The annual markv 'Year in Review' thread. Fourth year in a row that I took 2 highpointing trips, adding 7 new states in the process to bump me to 38. My Dad added 5 to bring him to 16. In May, we both bagged the HPs of North and South Dakota, Kansas, Nebraska and Oklahoma. And in September, I added Texas and New Mexico with my Dad stopping short of the summit on each.

For 2007, looks like we're doing just one trip as May trips are mostly out of the equation now that I have "just" western HPs left. Going to fly into Vegas or Reno, and after a couple days of acclimatizing from our sea level perch, we're going to attempt Boundary, Humphreys and Elbert. I'm kind of obsessed with the whole thing, but my Dad just likes the travel and isn't really summit-focused.

Also added Fort Reno for a little extra credit. Outside of highpointing, did my general hiking and mountain-biking around the Northeast. Highlight of the year was probably an Adirondack Great Range dayhike ... seven summits in 16 hours. Could have had Marcy as well, but that would have had me hiking until midnight. Finished at 10 PM as it was.

Merry Chirstmas to all.

December 11th, 2006, 5:29 pm #3

...time for the Annual Highpoints 2006 thread. Which ones did you do? How many do you have total? Which were favorite, memorable, failures, or done in a unique manner? And most importantly, what are your planned highpoints for 2007...your New Year's Resolu-points?

In 2006, i nabbed 2, bringing me to 35: Whitney in September and Humphreys in December. Both were especially important to me. Whitney i had been planning for 3 years to do via the entire John Muir Trail, and Humphreys was the site of my very first highpoint non-summit, 3 years ago. It was good to finally get those accomplished. A few inches of snow on Humphreys was a lot more convenient than the few feet i had to deal with last time. Along the way to Whitney, i got to 2 more CA 14ers, Split and Muir. Also this year i got to the highpoint of the Tucson mountains, the 3 highpoints of the NH Northern Presis, and a return trip to the HP of the Koolaus on Oahu. Gannett is my only remaining nagging HP failure, so that one may be my goal for 2007 (along with possibly NV, OK, NM, and the convention region if i can make it). I also have my sights on the highpoint of Oahu, the highpoint of the Catalinas, and maybe another easyish CA 14er like Langely. But my main resolution is to transcribe my John Muir Trail journal once and for all. Happy Highpoint Holidays.
Mt. Mansfield via Long to Profanity on 2006-07-30

Mt. Washington via Cog Railway on 2006-08-26

December 11th, 2006, 10:03 pm #4

...I did reclimb Mansfield, and finally hit the 2nd and 3rd highest in NH (Adams and Jefferson, respectively).

And...my parents are moving out to Arizona! Hello Humphreys Peak!! I may get out there as soon as this March, or as late as the end of the summer or beyond, but I intend to climb it no matter the season. Other SW highpoints would, of course, follow.

December 12th, 2006, 2:04 am #5

I visited my 50th HP on Sunday, December 3.

Those of you who know that I was only lacking my state HP will be glad to know (perhaps) that I haven't taken full leave of my mind and tried to climb McKinley in December. I was working in Guam and I climbed Mount Lamlam in a serious bushwhack. Not a STATE HP, but I'll call it my 50th (because that's a lot easier than actually climbing the remaining state HP).

Dave Lotz (email address elsewhere on this site) helped out by dissuading me from attempting to climb in the evenings and by telling me not to worry about the infamous brown tree snakes.

December 12th, 2006, 5:48 am #6

Mauna Kea in June & Humphreys in September which put the hp count to 37. Elbert once again got put on back burner. When visiting Arizona however, we completed our 50 State Capitol quest!!

As for 2007, flight reservations HAVE been made to fly to Maine so keeping fingers crossed that Katahdin and a couple Maritime provincial hp's will be summitted. A year ago this time I never would have guessed we'd get to HI so it's hard to say if any other place will be attempted but if Katahdin is the only one we do, that's ok.

December 12th, 2006, 11:30 am #7

#6 Mount Arvon*
#7 Brasstown Bald
#8 Sassafras Mountain
#9 Mount Mitchell
#10 Clingmans Dome*
#11 Mount Rogers*
#12 Black Mountain
#13 Backbone Mountain
#14 Mount Davis
#15 Spruce Knob
#16 Charles Mound
#17 Eagle Mountain*
#18 Kings Peak*
#19 Panorama Point
#20 Mount Elbert*

* Indicates a favorite from the past year.

2007 Plans:
Hawkeye Point
Harney Peak
White Butte
Timms Hill (2007 Highpointers Konvention)
Gannett Peak
Mount Marcy
Mount Katahdin
Mount Greylock
Jerimoth Hill
Mount Frissell
High Point, NJ
Ebright Azimuth

December 12th, 2006, 1:43 pm #8

Nathan and I headed out to Hawaii for an honors choir event in Honolulu and stopped off on the Big Island for a few days before meeting up with the choir group. We rented a 4WD from Harper's and drove up to the observatory parking area then walked the quarter-mile to the top of Hawaii.
Trip report on my WWW site as well as a summit panorama showing the view from the top of Hawaii.

We also revisited Mt. Mitchell as we attended the Konvention on one of our college visit trips. (Darn it, now that I've grown a useful pack horse, he's going off to college next year...)

41 for me, 39 for Nathan, but we both need one more western HP for our 40 pins...

December 12th, 2006, 3:15 pm #9

We hit 14 this year, bringing us to 27/50 so far, and we are on par to complete all HPs in 5 years, which was our original goal set 2 years ago. 2007 may be a little tougher since we are expecting our first child, but we still plan to get another 12. On the list for sure are FL, DE, NJ, NY, VA (which will finish out all of the East), and perhaps some others.

December 12th, 2006, 3:16 pm #10

im a little slow this morning.