Is it too early for...

Is it too early for...

November 24th, 2004, 9:11 am #1

...the end of the year "what highpoints did you hike in 2004, and where do you plan to go in 2005?" thread?

November 24th, 2004, 12:29 pm #2

my first year, picked up 17. in order: NJ (5/2), DE, RI, MI, AR, LA, FL, TN, NC, MA, PA, MD, WV, CT, KY, SC, GA (11/5). I am indeed finished for the year.

Next year I am planning on picking up whats left of the south as sides on business trips (AL and VA) and VT/NH as sides to late spring ski trips, and, perhaps AZ or NV as sides to west coast trips. but most significantly, I am actively working on the logistics for a monster roadtrip to pick up most of the midwestern highpoints - about 13 of them..

NY and ME are probably going to end up being 2006 - as are most of the Western HPs+TX. The highpoints that require significant planning and fitness (ie WA, WY) are going to take a while for me to get to..

November 24th, 2004, 1:50 pm #3

...the end of the year "what highpoints did you hike in 2004, and where do you plan to go in 2005?" thread?
We tried, but were stormed off both Kings (UT) and Borah (ID). Report under "highpointing" on my WWW site.

Next year will probably be a down year for highpointing...going to hike Philmont with my son's Scout troop, so that will eat up summer vacation time. Maybe, depending on other plans, we can try Humphreys (AZ) again next October. Tried that once in 2002, got stormed off only 500' from the summit, but we're cautious about lightning...

Gets to be a problem when the HPs we have left are scattered all over the western U.S. They don't lend themselves to multi-HP trips, plus take longer and many have their own weather windows that don't overlap (Hood and Rainier, for instance).

So, will start planning for 2006. Mark, is it too early for that???

November 24th, 2004, 2:23 pm #4

I'm done for this year, too, so this is timely.

Despite turning around on a winter ascent of Humphreys because our group was moving too slowly, I consider this a good year. I soloed Hood in June, my proudest highpointing accomplishment thus far. I also added MO-AR-LA-MS-AL-FL in a get-outta-Boston-'cause-the-DNC-is-here trip, bringing my total to 33.

Next year I hope to assemble a group for a Rainier attempt. For my part, I will probably be publicizing it locally as A.F.A.R., "Ascending for Autism Research," in an effort to raise funds so that some good came come out of my efforts (in addition to another HP!).

I might also do some re-visiting next year, to start my new son on his way to 50!

Happy holidays to all, and safe highpointing!

November 24th, 2004, 4:13 pm #5

national park highpoints in 2004:

Dry Tortugas (FL) failed (rough seas Oct-May)
Bryce Canyon (UT)
Canyonlands (UT)
Grand Canyon (AZ)
Capitol Reef (UT) took two attempts
Death Valley (CA)
Great Basin (NV)
Redwood (CA)
Lassen Volcano (CA)
Channel Islands (CA)
Olympic (WA)
North Cascades (WA) failed
Joshua Tree (CA)
Saguaro (AZ)

national park highpoints 2005 wish list (interested?)
Zion (UT)
Wind Cave (SD)
Big Bend (TX)
Crater Lake (CA)
North Cascade (WA)
Yosemite (CA)
Voyagers (MN)
Mammoth Cave (KY)
Dry Tortugas (FL)
Kenai Fjords (AK)
Petrofied Forest (AZ)
Black Canyon (CO) - revisit via east approach on BLM land

on the radar but unlikely:
Biscayne (FL)
Virgin Islands (VI)
Haleakala (HI)

November 24th, 2004, 4:41 pm #6

My wife and I plan to visit the Louisiana HP around Christmastime, while visiting her brother. It's a repeat for me but her first time there. Otherwise, this will be the first year since 1991 I didn't add a new state HP to my pile. Echoing Alan, the remaining ones I need are either 3,000 miles away at least, or called "Wyoming". I've exhausted all the quickies . It wasn't a lost year. We visited a number of county HPs throughout CA, AZ, OR, NM and WA, then some in VA near her folks. I completed all the New Mexico counties as well.

For 2005 I hope to finish the remaining 3 Nevada counties I need, then just go where the road takes me. We're hoping to make a visit to the NH convention- that's one I still need (along with NY, VT and ME). Beth (my wife) is keen on getting the NM and TX state highpoints so we'll probably do them. I did Guadalupe in '93 and Wheeler in '94 and it will be fun to go back again, after so long. OK may happen, too, as I'm due to be there anyway on my three-year-visit-OK-cycle that's been going on since 1993.

SAS

November 24th, 2004, 4:42 pm #7

Should have signed off peroperly...

November 24th, 2004, 4:50 pm #8

I just stumbled upon highpointing this year, and did the one closest to my home, Kings Peak (UT). I'm not through for this year yet, though; I'm going to try and swing past Guadalupe Peak (TX) on my drive back home for Christmas this year.

Next year, I'm planning a several day trip to do Whitney (CA) and Boundary (NV), and several overnighters to Borah (ID), Elbert (CO), and maybe even Humphreys (AZ). Hood (OR) would be nice, but between work, school, and my other trips, it may be a bit much.

November 24th, 2004, 4:52 pm #9

In 2004, I picked up seven new HPs in two trips to bring my total to 23.

In my April trip, I climbed Clingman's Dome, Mount Mitchell, Brasstown Bald and Sassafras. And in a memorable August midwest trip with my Dad, we did Eagle, Arvon and Timm's Hill.

Next year, I'll be doing another trip with my Dad to pick up Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana and Arkansas. No date set yet - either spring or post-Hurricane season. Always nice to see what the other guy is up to.

November 24th, 2004, 5:14 pm #10

I haven't started my HP'ing for 04 quite yet. In a few weeks I'm heading for VT and NH. If the weather doesn't cooperate I might swing down to CT and MA. As far as winter access to CT and MA what is the story. I've heard the road to MA is closed in the winter? Any one have any info?