Initiative to Carry Flag to Top of California 14'ers

Initiative to Carry Flag to Top of California 14'ers

roger
roger

July 20th, 2002, 6:34 pm #1

Mary Hataway's climb as a devoted mountaineer began as a kid in Carson City, when she and her younger brother, Jason, pulled themselves up on rocks at King's Canyon
Years, and adventure after adventure later, it was post-9/11. Hataway thumbed through a magazine. A singular idea formed in her mountaineering brain, as she soaked in photos of American flags placed on the pinnacles of the tallest peaks in Colorado, her birth state.

Hataway ran to the phone.

Her vision? To climb all 14,000-foot mountains in California, placing an American flag at the top in honor of the victims of the Twin Towers. Climbers would take lists of the names of the 9/11 victims, wrapping them in the blanket of the U.S. flag.
With 15 peaks in all, the group will split up the climbs. One of the 15 peaks, Mount Williamson, closed July 15, because of bighorn sheep in the area. So, the group will climb 14.

http://www.nevadaappeal.com/apps/pbcs.d ... 101&Ref=AR

roger
roger

September 12th, 2002, 1:42 pm #2

Yreka climber Kevin Downing is no stranger to terrorism.
Downing is one of 20 climbers who placed the names of the World Trade Center victims and an American flag on the summits of all 14 of California's 14,000 foot or higher peaks.
Downing and his partner, Vic Kerttula, climbed and commemorated 9-11 on Mount Shasta.
Nevadan Mary Hathaway conceived the idea and sought out climbers to do the peaks. Approximately six weeks ago, teams fanned out all over the state to show their respect for those lost on September 11th.
Downing is one of 20 climbers who placed the names of the World Trade Center victims and an American flag on the summits of all 14 of California's 14,000 foot or higher peaks.
Downing and his partner, Vic Kerttula, climbed and commemorated 9-11 on Mount Shasta.
Nevadan Mary Hathaway conceived the idea and sought out climbers to do the peaks. Approximately six weeks ago, teams fanned out all over the state to show their respect for those lost on September 11th.
http://www.mtshastanews.com/display/inn_news/news01.txt

roger
roger

September 12th, 2002, 1:46 pm #3

Mary Hataway's climb as a devoted mountaineer began as a kid in Carson City, when she and her younger brother, Jason, pulled themselves up on rocks at King's Canyon
Years, and adventure after adventure later, it was post-9/11. Hataway thumbed through a magazine. A singular idea formed in her mountaineering brain, as she soaked in photos of American flags placed on the pinnacles of the tallest peaks in Colorado, her birth state.

Hataway ran to the phone.

Her vision? To climb all 14,000-foot mountains in California, placing an American flag at the top in honor of the victims of the Twin Towers. Climbers would take lists of the names of the 9/11 victims, wrapping them in the blanket of the U.S. flag.
With 15 peaks in all, the group will split up the climbs. One of the 15 peaks, Mount Williamson, closed July 15, because of bighorn sheep in the area. So, the group will climb 14.

http://www.nevadaappeal.com/apps/pbcs.d ... 101&Ref=AR
SUMMIT COUNTY - A mountain of emotion tumbled down on Americans when terrorists attacked the the United States Sept. 11, 2001. Kurt Kizer and about 40 other locals placed a flag at the summit of Peak 1 five days after the tragedy to deal with their grief.

Kizer organized the hike because he wanted to do something productive - and something physical - to help himself and others.

"I believe that it was the single most wonderful community event that I've ever experienced," Dillon resident and hiker Joe Evankovich said. "I believe something like that can stay with you. Before that hike, I was thinking of leaving Summit County because of its transient nature. Now, I'm staying. Every day, I make a conscious decision to be involved in my community."

Today, Kizer, along with at least 60 other hikers, will replace the flag, now tattered, in remembrance of the victims of 9-11. Like others today, the hikers will come together to share thoughts and feelings on the first anniversary of the terrorist attacks.

http://www.summitdaily.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 101&Ref=AR