In search of inspiration to keep highpointing

In search of inspiration to keep highpointing

December 21st, 2008, 8:20 am #1

I'm stuck on 38 HPs, and occasionally i think "hey i should finish these off," but frankly i almost never want to or look forward to it anymore. It's like finally summitting Gannett for me was psychologically COMPLETION of my state highpoints. On top of this, Denali seems like a very remote possibility, and finishing 49 states somehow doesn't seem right to me, when there are 50.

How does one rekindle the enthusiasm? Or should one even want to or try to?

Still remaining: MT,NV,NM,OK,the Great Lake states, WV, TN, GA, FL, and Denali.

Randomly yours,
markv

December 22nd, 2008, 12:04 pm #2

Well, after your experience on the PCT this year and your various non-highpointing travels, you certainly know that there's lots of natural beauty to be found in places that aren't state highpoints. But consider this ... in a country of 300 million, less than 200 people have ever completed all 50 HPs. That's a pretty exclusive group. Are you a contender or were you just a pretender? Now get out there and do it!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHfJ7W6vDJw

December 22nd, 2008, 1:02 pm #3

I'm stuck on 38 HPs, and occasionally i think "hey i should finish these off," but frankly i almost never want to or look forward to it anymore. It's like finally summitting Gannett for me was psychologically COMPLETION of my state highpoints. On top of this, Denali seems like a very remote possibility, and finishing 49 states somehow doesn't seem right to me, when there are 50.

Randomly yours,
markv
You are still a young guy. It would be my guess that at some point in your future the inspiration will fine you again. Responsibilites and other priorities (like work) get in the way at times that you must take of. After following your PCT trail log I know you have the determination. Just give it some time. I didn't even start highpointing untill I was 55 about ten yr's ago. I lost my inspiration/enthusiam a few times too and was stuck on 19 for three yr's. I am now have 31. Also recently had the same thought about only finshing 49 as Denali looms larger and larger the older I get. Guess it comes down to why you are highpointing. If it is solely to check off all fifty states as your goal then 49 will not make it. I don't know if I will try Denali or not. I certainly have not ruled it out yet. But if I don't I sure won't look at it as a failure but rather how much fun I had doind the 49!!

Be patient. It will come back.

EdH

December 22nd, 2008, 7:13 pm #4

Do Montana next. Then you can pick off the others and get the 48 done. Alaska takes time, money and luck. But having completed 50, it is nice to have it all behind me. I'm looking for the next thing now...

December 22nd, 2008, 11:49 pm #5

Randomly yours,
markv
Even if you don't do all 50 you must climb Mount Washington in NH (no drive-up please), Boundary Peak in Nevada, and Granite Peak in Montana. I have been on all the Western highpoints in the lower 48 except NM and found Rainier and Gannett to be the toughest. The rock climbing on Granite is great fun. I only have 35 highpoints completed, but made the Western highpoints a priority. Perhaps I will lose interest when I only have Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, and Louisiana left to do. For me highpointing is more than the climbing. I enjoy seeing the scenery and experiencing the culture of every state, eating at the little local cafe near the highpoint, meeting new people, and seeing the fauna and flora on the hikes. I wonder what I will do when I complete the lower 48 since it is hard to do the Colorado 14ers, the Adirondack 46ers, Northeast 111,or county highpoints in the Western US when you live in Wisconsin. Maybe I'll have to move. Keep Klimbin.

December 22nd, 2008, 11:54 pm #6

I see you have already done Mt. Washington. I meant West Virginia. Even though Spruce Knob is a drive-up the area is very pretty and the people are interesting (especially to a Midwesterner). Seneca Rocks is not far away as well and is worth a visit or a climb.

Yu2

December 23rd, 2008, 5:38 pm #7

Randomly yours,
markv
Hi Mark,

Suspend remaining highpoints except for Denali.
After Denali your passion might be back.

Yury

December 24th, 2008, 11:40 am #8

Randomly yours,
markv
Mark, AZ made my 42nd overall and my 5th in the West, so I finally got my 30 pin, 12 peaks later...

I'm still hoping to give the Great White One a try before I get too old and decrepit, and you have a lot more years to work on that than I do.

MT and NV are still on my to-do list, as well. NV was a washout the first try due to a busted car, but it's one I know I can do if I can just get to the trailhead. MT is a bit more of a challenge, obviously. I'll be looking for partners now that Nathan is in college, so perhaps we can meet up sometime for some of the peaks we have in common. (If you're interested, Mt. Ritter isn't that far from Boundary Peak and while it isn't a state highpoint, it is a COHP and a darned nice climb as you might have noticed when you meandered through the area on the PCT.)

My best suggestion is to stay in touch with fellow highpointers and see who is doing a peak that strikes your fancy and is on your to-do list. Save some of the easier ones for last...somethint I did NOT do...and you can pick up those at your leisure.

December 24th, 2008, 5:04 pm #9

I've climbed the other 49 to see if I could do it. It wasn't for anyone else. It was just for me to see what I could accomplish for me. Now I'm trying Denali again in 2009 after 19 years. Looking back over this I needed a greater purpose. That's why I'm trying this climb again to raise money to benefit Alzheimer's. This way I can help so many others.

You've got almost all the tough ones down. You're almost there. GO FOR IT!
Dan

December 24th, 2008, 5:08 pm #10

...try it with a different purpose and for someone/something else.
Dan