GPS Units?

GPS Units?

June 24th, 2010, 4:23 pm #1

I'm looking to buy a GPS, so I'm looking for suggestions and experiences people have had with whatever you're currently using.

I also have a question: If I'm taking a GPS on a long trip (multiple days), will changing the batteries lose the track I'm recording?

Thanks!

June 24th, 2010, 8:09 pm #2

Recently purchased a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx for use on a Denali trip. Software included TOPO U.S. 100K for all states and Puerto Rico. I purchased a separate chip for AK only. Without having a chance to operate it much before going on the mountain, I found it easy to use and was able to scroll through the menu and pages without difficulty. It seemed more intuitive to use than my 15 year old black and white screened Garmin and Magellan units. Another teammate had an identical unit and found that our elevations were always a bit different even when we set the units next to each other. It's suggested that (new) double A lithium batteries not be used because they might exceed 1.5 volts and shut the unit off. I didn't experience any difficulty. You can change batteries without losing data.

DeLorme is supposed to be coming out with a new unit this month. It's already getting good reviews through the grapevine. I tried to find one before my trip but they hadn't hit the market yet. It might be worth it to compare the Delorme with the Garmin.

June 29th, 2010, 12:50 pm #3

I'm looking to buy a GPS, so I'm looking for suggestions and experiences people have had with whatever you're currently using.

I also have a question: If I'm taking a GPS on a long trip (multiple days), will changing the batteries lose the track I'm recording?

Thanks!
Years ago, I bought a Garmin GPS II+. Monochrome display, no mapping but it would run a long time on a set of batteries. Carried it all over the place. It finally died this spring after 10 years. Excellent unit, kinda miss the simplicity.

I bought a Garmin Oregon 450 and added the topo maps to it. Love it. It won't run as long on a set of batteries as the old GPS II+ but then it only eats two AA cells at a time, not four. I used it extensively to track our hiking and canoeing with Boy Scouts last week. Had one already-used set of AAs in it, replaced those after the second day. Made it up to the next-to-last day of the trip on the second set. I'd estimate that Garmin's stated 16-hour battery life (running) is about right because I was using it 6-8 hours/day continuously recording tracks. I'm still getting used to all of the Oregon's features but I'm sold so far.

I've also used some of the simpler/cheaper current Garmin handhelds, like the eTrex series. If you want a simpler non-mapping unit, these will work just fine and are a third the price of the Oregon 450.

I also have a Garmin iQue3600 combination Palm PDA and GPS. It's purely a car or desk toy. Battery life is zippo, less than an hour running the GPS (5-year-old Li-ion batteries that are a PITA to replacs) but it's a good navigational aid in the car. It is also discontinued and no longer supported with map updates, so it may be time to buy a Nuvi for the car when the iQue finally dies.

I'll stick with Garmin and buy the model that fits the application I have in mind.