Good luck Cops on Top

Good luck Cops on Top

Mark S
Mark S

September 11th, 2003, 1:29 am #1

I don't know how many of you are aware, but today Police Officers from around the country will be uniting in a show of solidarity to the 71 fallen Police Officers and 344 Fire Fighters that lost their lives "in service of their fellow man" on 09/11/01. For the second year in a row, the Cops on Top team led by Keith McPheeters of the Farmington New Mexico PD will be ascending various state highpoints around the country on the 09/11 anniversary. It looks like just shy of 20 states are on tap for this year, including a few tough ones including Montana and Washington.

Without politicizing anything here, I just want to wish these guys the best of luck and safety on the second annual Memorial climbs.

roger
roger

September 11th, 2003, 1:33 pm #2

The website:
http://www.copsontop.com

[I edited this because it only works if you include the "www"]
Last edited by dipper on September 11th, 2003, 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roger
roger

September 11th, 2003, 1:34 pm #3

I don't know how many of you are aware, but today Police Officers from around the country will be uniting in a show of solidarity to the 71 fallen Police Officers and 344 Fire Fighters that lost their lives "in service of their fellow man" on 09/11/01. For the second year in a row, the Cops on Top team led by Keith McPheeters of the Farmington New Mexico PD will be ascending various state highpoints around the country on the 09/11 anniversary. It looks like just shy of 20 states are on tap for this year, including a few tough ones including Montana and Washington.

Without politicizing anything here, I just want to wish these guys the best of luck and safety on the second annual Memorial climbs.
Thursday, September 11, 2003

By STEPHEN FROTHINGHAM

On Saturday, hikers will try to put American flags atop the 48 White Mountain peaks taller than 4,000 feet. The tradition began when some hikers posted a flag on Mount Liberty just days after the 2001 attacks. Last year flags were flown all the 4,000-footers on Sept. 14.
Concord Monitor

We in the hiking community would like to honor those fallen heroes by flying the American flag atop of all 48 four thousand foot and higher mountains in New Hampshire on Saturday, September 13, 2003. By demonstrating our steadfast unity as Americans and as hikers, we hope to express our unwavering support to the families and to the communities whose losses are beyond comprehension and whose sacrifices will forever remain in our hearts

Flags on 48 Website

roger
roger

January 10th, 2004, 2:29 pm #4

Now, fellow Louisville Officers Charlie Newman and Eric Culver will head up to the highest point in the Andes Mountains to climb in Eddie Mundo’s memory. The pair departs for Aconcagua this Sunday and will be climbing as part of the Cops on Top program, which “plans annual expeditions to the world’s most respected mountains raise public awareness about the dangers, stress and life-altering effects on the average police officer. A fallen officer’s memory serves as our banner and a memorial is placed on each summit attempted.”

Cops on Top is a group of volunteer climbers, who are primarily self-funded law enforcement officers from around the country. It was founded in 1998 by Sergeant Keith McPheeters of the Farmington New Mexico Police Department in memory of Officer Dale Claxton.

http://www.mounteverest.net/story/Kentu ... 2004.shtml

January 8th, 2005, 3:57 am #5

press release on the business wire says Cops On Top have gotten sponsorship for a bid for the cops to visit the 7 summits. 2005 plan directs expeditions on behalf of fallen comrades to three of the world’s Seven Summits: Mount Kilimanjaro, Denali and Mount Elbrus. Since its inaugural climb, the Dale Claxton Denali Memorial Expedition in 1999, Cops on Top has had a three-fold commitment - to provide tangible aid for the grieving and healing process of those who have lost a loved one, to support organizations dedicated to this cause, and to project a positive image of law enforcement officers. The Cops on Top team is comprised of largely self-funded law enforcement officer volunteer climbers. The sponsors is VF Corporation through its Horace Small and North Face Brands.

http://americasroof.com/wp/archives/200 ... ummits-bid/

January 18th, 2005, 1:02 am #6

Cops on Top Expedition had gotten notice of the ultimate geek site slashdot.org because of its use of its audio blog via satellite phone (you can listen via mp3) of its expedition up Kilimanjaro. There’s an interesting debate there on the use of blogs for outdoor events. The technolgy interest may be underscored because of San Francisco involvement.

There are links on the blog entry (and you will note the nifty blog feature that comments from my site are automatically inserted into the cops site via trackback and ping).
http://americasroof.com/wp/archives/200 ... t-slashdot/

January 18th, 2005, 5:29 pm #7

Someone out there should do a writeup about this Cops On Top thing. We'll publish it in the HP Club magazine with a gaudy reference to the author.

Please.

April 10th, 2005, 11:32 am #8

John -

There was a small story on Cops on Top (10-12 inches) in this month's American Police Beat. If you want, I can forward it to you. Maybe they'd let you reprint it.