Global Warming News

Global Warming News

Don Bethel
Don Bethel

June 17th, 2001, 10:04 pm #1

I am NOT attempting to resurrect the previous thread on global warming (as much fun as it was). I make no comment, but simply pass on this link to an enlightening press release by the Ohio State University.

Don Bethel
Don Bethel

June 17th, 2001, 10:05 pm #2

roger
roger

April 22nd, 2002, 2:46 pm #3

I am NOT attempting to resurrect the previous thread on global warming (as much fun as it was). I make no comment, but simply pass on this link to an enlightening press release by the Ohio State University.
Melting glaciers are filling Himalayan mountain lakes too quickly, threatening tens of thousands of lives with colossal floods. Rising temperatures linked to global climate change are thought to be the cause of this accelerated melting.
Scientists from the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development (ICIMOD) have studied topographical maps, aerial photographs and satellite images since 1999. They have revealed that at least 44 glacial lakes in Nepal and Bhutan are growing in size so rapidly that they could burst their banks within as little as five years’ time.
Research is showing that glaciers are melting more and more rapidly and consequently the lakes that are fed by glaciers are growing in size. Combined with this is an associated increase in air temperature. Long-term monitoring in Nepal has shown an average air temperature increase of 1°C since the 1970’s.

http://www.edie.net/gf.cfm?L=left_frame ... e/5438.cfm