Gannett Peak or Granite Peak partners?

Gannett Peak or Granite Peak partners?

March 8th, 2007, 3:34 pm #1

I would like to climb Gannett or Granite right before the Highpointers Convention in July or early in August. I have 20 state highpoints done including Rainier, Boundary Peak, Humphreys, Kings Peak, Elbert, and Mount Washington. I am 47 years old and in good condition. Would like to do these climbs in 4-5 days and maybe do some fishing as well. I would like to join other experienced highpointers/climbers on one of these peaks this summer. Please contact me if you have room in your group or if interested in putting together a group.

March 30th, 2007, 10:31 pm #2

I live in Casper, Wyoming and summited on Gannett last year on July 27th. We had great weather for 5 days until the last two hours when it lightly rained on us for two hours near the end of the trail. Since I live in Casper and am only 3 hours drive from Gannett, I plan to climb this mountain every year is possible. I am 54 years old and in general good shape.

This year we have a party of 5 people going to Gannett to start our trip around 6 am on the 25th of August. It takes two whole days to walk in to high camp at 22 miles from the trail head. Usual time to climb Gannett is 11-13 hours depending on physical condition.

Two of our party memembers will be riding horses and carry most of our weight to high camp in duffel bags on panniers on their spare horse. Since we will basically be carrying empty packs from the car park to the high meadows where the horses will be pickeded we should make good time and have time to fish one night on the way in and one night on the way old.

There is a good chance we might have to do some rock climbing as the usual snow bridge will most likely be gone so late in the year.

If you are interested in this late season climb with a round trip walk of 44 miles plus 6 miles up and down Gannett get back to me as one of the team has dropped out to get married overseas.

Steven

March 7th, 2011, 1:22 am #3

I would like to climb Gannett or Granite right before the Highpointers Convention in July or early in August. I have 20 state highpoints done including Rainier, Boundary Peak, Humphreys, Kings Peak, Elbert, and Mount Washington. I am 47 years old and in good condition. Would like to do these climbs in 4-5 days and maybe do some fishing as well. I would like to join other experienced highpointers/climbers on one of these peaks this summer. Please contact me if you have room in your group or if interested in putting together a group.
I am planning to attempt Montana's Granite Peak in early July (the week encompassing the 4th). I am currently discussing options with a horse-pack outfitter to take me to Froze to Death Plateau thus greatly reducing the effort to 10,000 feet.

I am also talking to Jackson Hole Moutaing Guides for the trip.

I don't have the technical experience for what I understand to be required for the summit.

May 24th, 2011, 10:41 pm #4

Did you ever get this scheduled? I'm
currently planning on going into Gannett
from the East-North Dubois approach
on 8/7/11. If interested in joining in
drop me a note. In any case, climb on! Jerry K.
irishyak@yahoo.com

May 27th, 2011, 4:28 am #5

Just in case any of you aren't yet aware, the northern Rockies have received record snowfall amounts this year, including late storms and a lack of significant spring melting. Whatever conditions are typically on Granite and Gannett in early July are likely to be what you'll experience this year in early August. The Gannett approaches could be largely on snow well into July this year.

I don't necessarily think this is bad news, especially on Gannett. The snowbridge is likely to stay good much later than usual.

This is a useful website: http://postholer.com/postholer/index.php showing snow water equivalent relative to normal. Right now the Elkhart Park TH (Gannett) is over 300% of normal.

July 25th, 2011, 4:52 pm #6

I live in Casper, Wyoming and summited on Gannett last year on July 27th. We had great weather for 5 days until the last two hours when it lightly rained on us for two hours near the end of the trail. Since I live in Casper and am only 3 hours drive from Gannett, I plan to climb this mountain every year is possible. I am 54 years old and in general good shape.

This year we have a party of 5 people going to Gannett to start our trip around 6 am on the 25th of August. It takes two whole days to walk in to high camp at 22 miles from the trail head. Usual time to climb Gannett is 11-13 hours depending on physical condition.

Two of our party memembers will be riding horses and carry most of our weight to high camp in duffel bags on panniers on their spare horse. Since we will basically be carrying empty packs from the car park to the high meadows where the horses will be pickeded we should make good time and have time to fish one night on the way in and one night on the way old.

There is a good chance we might have to do some rock climbing as the usual snow bridge will most likely be gone so late in the year.

If you are interested in this late season climb with a round trip walk of 44 miles plus 6 miles up and down Gannett get back to me as one of the team has dropped out to get married overseas.

Steven
Are you still looking for trip participants?

I did Ganett 15 years ago coming in from the west and would like to do it again.

Completed Granite last year.

July 25th, 2011, 5:00 pm #7

I am planning to attempt Montana's Granite Peak in early July (the week encompassing the 4th). I am currently discussing options with a horse-pack outfitter to take me to Froze to Death Plateau thus greatly reducing the effort to 10,000 feet.

I am also talking to Jackson Hole Moutaing Guides for the trip.

I don't have the technical experience for what I understand to be required for the summit.
Did you ever get this scheduled?

I did Granite two years ago in late July with my daughter and would like to do it again but in August.

There was a lot more snow in July than August making an August trip easier.

The technical parts are not difficult, 100' snow bridge section and some short sections 5.5 climbing.

I normally would not set up a belay but did for my daughter because she has a little problem with the exposure.

It took us two days to get to high camp with a tough 4000' first day to the plateau, one day for the peak and two days out because of weather.