From MD, is it best to fly into Vegas to do Humpreys Peak then Boundary Peak?

From MD, is it best to fly into Vegas to do Humpreys Peak then Boundary Peak?

January 17th, 2011, 1:38 am #1

So... I love to plan to do high points well in advance. Assuming I do ND, SD, NE, KS, OK, and NM in early August over a 9 day period, I was thinking of flying back out west in September to bang out one more trip of the 2 harder ones - hard for me at least (they would be #42 and #43 - I've already done Whitney). I was thinking of flying into Vegas, driving to Humprey's Peak and trying it one more time. The last time I tried it about 10 years ago my buddy and I failed. It was storming near the top and we lost the trail miserably in the snow and no one was around to tell us where it the peak was. We went back down in failure and beat ourself up for days over it!

I'd be doing it alone this time (or hopefully meeting one of you to do it with). So, I'd fly into Vegas in the morning, drive straight to Humphrey's Peak and camp as high as I could but not backpack - just car camping. Hike to the top on the next day leaving very early in the am (is that enough time to acclimate from sea level in Maryland?).

Then drive some of the 7 hours to Nevada's high point later that day after the hike if I was up to it and the rest of the next day to get to Boundary peak.

Hike Boundary on the 4th day. Drive back to the Airport on Day 5 and fly back home later in the day. That's not leaving an extra day for failure and trying a mountain again though if I did fail the first time due to weather ...

Any thoughts? Looking at a map, this seems to make more sense than to fly into Flagstaff and then back out of Flagstaff I think. I want to come and go from the same airport so the rental car and flights are cheapest. I think Las Vegas is a relatively cheap airport to fly in and out of.

Thanks in advance if you have any thoughts regarding this plan. I just came up with it in 45 minutes of research . I really don't want to hike either peak by myself as I get lost easily and would feel much safer doing it with someone in case I fall and get hurt. Boundary Peak is so remote, I think that might freak me out a bit doing it alone. I'm kind of a wimp when it come to doing these hikes sometimes though I did do Whitney alone. On Whitney though there was eventually always people up ahead at points. I'll reach out to the forum when time gets closer if anyone's available to do it with me, otherwise I'll just wing it and hope for the best. I can't figure out how to put these 2 peaks in Mapquest so I just Mapquest routes from the closest towns to the high points.

Steve R

McCarran International Airport (LAS) Edit
5757 Wayne Newton Blvd, Las Vegas, NV 89119 - (702) 261-5211
Online Offers: Motels in Las Vegas Las Vegas Restaurants Nevada Auto Insurance
Directions from A to B:
1. Start out going EAST on WAYNE NEWTON BLVD. 0.0 mi Map
2. Take the ramp toward I-215/RENTAL CAR RETURN/I-15/LAS VEGAS/HENDERSON. 0.4 mi Map | Avoid
3. Merge onto PARADISE RD. 1.3 mi Map | Avoid
4. Merge onto I-215 E/BRUCE WOODBURY BELT. 9.7 mi Map | Avoid
5. Merge onto US-93 S via EXIT 1 toward BOULDER CITY. 12.0 mi Map | Avoid
6. Turn LEFT to stay on US-93 S (Crossing into ARIZONA). 78.7 mi Map | Avoid
7. Merge onto I-40 E/PURPLE HEART TRL via the ramp on the LEFT toward FLAGSTAFF/PHOENIX. 145.6 mi Map | Avoid
8. Take the I-17 exit, EXIT 195, toward AZ-89A/PHOENIX/FLAGSTAFF. 0.3 mi Map | Avoid
9. Merge onto AZ-89-ALT N via the exit on the LEFT toward AZ-89A N/US-180 N/FLAGSTAFF/GRAND CANYON. 0.8 mi Map | Avoid
10. Stay STRAIGHT to go onto S MILTON RD/AZ-89A. Continue to follow S MILTON RD. 1.5 mi Map | Avoid
11. S MILTON RD becomes I-40-BL/W US-66. 0.2 mi Map | Avoid
12. Welcome to FLAGSTAFF, AZ. Map
A to B Travel Estimate: 3 hours 54 minutes / 250.48 miles
Flagstaff, AZ Edit
Online Offers: Motels in Flagstaff Flagstaff Restaurants Arizona Auto Insurance
Directions from B to C:
1. Start out going SOUTHWEST on W SANTA FE AVE/W US-66/I-40-BL/US-180 toward N HUMPHREYS ST. Continue to follow W US-66/I-40-BL. 0.7 mi Map
2. Turn RIGHT onto I-40-BL/W US-66/US-66. Continue to follow I-40-BL/W US-66. 4.4 mi Map | Avoid
3. Stay STRAIGHT to go onto I-40 W/PURPLE HEART TRL/AZ-89 S. Continue to follow I-40 W/PURPLE HEART TRL. 141.4 mi Map | Avoid
4. Take the US-93/BEALE ST exit, EXIT 48, toward AZ-68/LAS VEGAS. 0.3 mi Map | Avoid
5. Turn SLIGHT RIGHT toward AZ-68 W/BULLHEAD CITY/LAUGHLIN. 0.0 mi Map | Avoid
6. Take US-93 N (Crossing into NEVADA). 104.3 mi Map | Avoid
7. Merge onto US-95 N via the exit on the LEFT toward RENO/TONOPAH. 116.5 mi Map | Avoid
8. Turn RIGHT onto E MAIN ST/US-95. Continue to follow US-95. 51.7 mi Map | Avoid
9. Turn LEFT onto NV-266 (Crossing into CALIFORNIA). 40.0 mi Map | Avoid
10. NV-266 becomes CA-266 (Crossing into NEVADA). 12.4 mi Map | Avoid
11. CA-266 becomes NV-264. 9.0 mi Map | Avoid
12. Welcome to DYER, NV. Map
B to C Travel Estimate: 7 hours 40 minutes / 480.77 miles
Dyer, NV Edit
Online Offers: Motels in Dyer Dyer Restaurants Nevada Auto Insurance
Directions from C to D:
1. Start out going SOUTHEAST on NV-264 toward PURPLE SAGE RD (Crossing into CALIFORNIA). 9.0 mi Map
2. NV-264 becomes CA-266 (Crossing into NEVADA). 12.4 mi Map | Avoid
3. CA-266 becomes NV-266. 40.0 mi Map | Avoid
4. Turn RIGHT onto US-95. 51.7 mi Map | Avoid
5. Turn LEFT onto S 2ND ST/S US-95/US-95. Continue to follow US-95 S. 115.1 mi Map | Avoid
6. Merge onto I-15 S toward LOS ANGELES. 6.1 mi Map | Avoid
7. Take the TROPICANA AVE EAST/TROPICANA AVE WEST exit, EXIT 37, toward UNLV. 0.1 mi Map | Avoid
8. Take the EAST TROPICANA AVE ramp. 0.4 mi Map | Avoid
9. Merge onto NV-593 E. 1.6 mi Map | Avoid
10. Turn RIGHT onto PARADISE RD. 0.4 mi Map | Avoid
11. Turn SLIGHT RIGHT toward TERMINAL 1/PASSENGER PICK-UP/PARKING GARAGE/VALET/DEPARTING FLIGHTS. 0.2 mi Map | Avoid
12. Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto WAYNE NEWTON BLVD. 0.4 mi Map | Avoid
13. Go STRAIGHT toward DEPARTING FLIGHTS. 0.2 mi Map | Avoid
14. Turn SLIGHT LEFT onto WAYNE NEWTON BLVD. 0.0 mi Map | Avoid
15. 5757 WAYNE NEWTON BLVD. Map
C to D Travel Estimate: 4 hours 2 minutes / 237.70 miles
Total Travel Estimate: 15 hours 38 minutes / 968.95 miles Fuel Cost: $120.69 at 25 MPG edit

January 17th, 2011, 11:01 pm #2

AZ and NV are almost a "you can't get there from here" pair. Lots of driving between them no matter whether you fly into Lost Wages or Flagstaff. If the airfare is comparable (cheap flights abound into Las Vegas, so maybe not), I'd think it better to fly to Flagstaff. You're less than an hour from the trailhead for Humphreys Peak and there is a convenient (and reasonably cheap in the summer) motel at the bottom of the hill. You'll be at 7,000' anyway, so coming from sea level, that'll be a decent first step. The "Ski Lift Lodge" is right on Highway 180 out of Flag, directly across from the Snow Bowl road that leads up to the ski resort proper and the trailhead for Humphreys (across the ski run from the lower parking lot at the Snow Bowl).

Check my 2008 AZ report for more details. Since that trip was in conjunction with the Konvention in '08, we stayed in town instead of out at the Ski Lift Lodge, but we stayed in one of their cabins the first time we tried (and got stormed off before we summitted).

Also, which approach are you planning for Boundary Peak? The Queen Canyon approach is preferred by some folks (myself included). We had car troubles on that trip and never got to the trailhead for Boundary Peak in 2001. Still have to go back out there and bag Boundary one of these days.

Good luck with the trip...my highpointing plans for 2011 are to head out to Seattle and try Mt. Rainier (with IMG, not RMI). We'll see how that goes...I need up up my training regimen a bit and get these old bones limbered up for Rainier.

January 18th, 2011, 1:32 pm #3

In October 2005 we flew into Vegas and rented a Ford Expedition. We drove to Benton Hot Springs, CA and stayed at a charming Bed & Breakfast called the Inn at Benton which featured natural hot springs. We climbed Boundary Peak via the Queens Mine route the next day and then drove to Lone Pine and got a motel. We did a 2-day climb of Mount Whitney and then drove back to Vegas as one member of our party needed to go home for work. (This was a hassle and I would not recommend it.) We then stayed in Vegas one night and then drove to Flagstaff the next day. We stayed in Flagstaff and then got an alpine start and climbed Humphreys Peak. I recommend a visit to the Beaver Street Brew Pub in Flagstaff. We flew home out of Vegas the next day.

I usually fly into Vegas for climbing trips, to visit the Grand Canyon, and for Phoenix area spring training baseball trips since the rates are usually cheaper and I enjoy the scenic drive from Vegas to Flagstaff to Sedona to Phoenix anyway.

January 19th, 2011, 4:32 am #4

I'll have to research flights then but Vegas is starting to look pretty good as it's exactly 1/2 way between the 2 high points. It's good to know about that accommodation very near to Humphrey's Peak. That seems like the most logical place to stay to be near the trailhead though the rooms look a little crusty. I wonder if I stayed in Flagstaff that day before the hike if it would matter much, travel time wise to get to the trailhead. It seems that the altitude is about the same at Flagstaff vs just staying right near the trailhead at that Ski Lodge hotel.

Regards,
Steve

January 19th, 2011, 1:58 pm #5

In October 2005 we flew into Vegas and rented a Ford Expedition. We drove to Benton Hot Springs, CA and stayed at a charming Bed & Breakfast called the Inn at Benton which featured natural hot springs. We climbed Boundary Peak via the Queens Mine route the next day and then drove to Lone Pine and got a motel. We did a 2-day climb of Mount Whitney and then drove back to Vegas as one member of our party needed to go home for work. (This was a hassle and I would not recommend it.) We then stayed in Vegas one night and then drove to Flagstaff the next day. We stayed in Flagstaff and then got an alpine start and climbed Humphreys Peak. I recommend a visit to the Beaver Street Brew Pub in Flagstaff. We flew home out of Vegas the next day.

I usually fly into Vegas for climbing trips, to visit the Grand Canyon, and for Phoenix area spring training baseball trips since the rates are usually cheaper and I enjoy the scenic drive from Vegas to Flagstaff to Sedona to Phoenix anyway.
From places in Flagstaff, proper, you're less than 30 minutes from where the Ski Lift Lodge is, and from there it's maybe 10-15 minutes up the Snow Bowl Road to the trailhead, so it really isn't a big deal. The second time we were out there in 2008, we stayed in Flag because of the Konvention. Had to get up a half-hour earlier to be at the trailhead at first light, not a big deal. Altitude difference is minor between Flag and the base of the hill, too.

I do suggest getting a very early start on Humphreys. Starting at first light, we made it to the summit before any storms blew up but the clouds started to build while we were taking our summit photos and there was lightning behind us before we got back to the Humphreys/Agassiz saddle and the trail down into the forest. The weather changes quickly and when you're on the summit, you're a good mile away from the first available cover if t-storms pop up. Pretty typical of a lot of the "walk-up" western peaks. Wheeler (NM) and Elbert (CO) are pretty much the same...fairly long exposed ridges where you do not want to be in a t-storm. Whitney (CA) is even worse...about 2 miles just to get back to Trail Crest and then you have the 97 switchbacks before you're down into the rocks around Trail Camp.

There is a webcam pointed at Humphreys from somewhere around Flag. You can't actually see Humphreys...Agassiz is closer and hides the taller peak, but if you watch the weather pattern on the web cam for a few days before your planned climb, you can get an idea of what time the storms start to blow up before you head up the hill.

January 19th, 2011, 8:23 pm #6

So... I love to plan to do high points well in advance. Assuming I do ND, SD, NE, KS, OK, and NM in early August over a 9 day period, I was thinking of flying back out west in September to bang out one more trip of the 2 harder ones - hard for me at least (they would be #42 and #43 - I've already done Whitney). I was thinking of flying into Vegas, driving to Humprey's Peak and trying it one more time. The last time I tried it about 10 years ago my buddy and I failed. It was storming near the top and we lost the trail miserably in the snow and no one was around to tell us where it the peak was. We went back down in failure and beat ourself up for days over it!

I'd be doing it alone this time (or hopefully meeting one of you to do it with). So, I'd fly into Vegas in the morning, drive straight to Humphrey's Peak and camp as high as I could but not backpack - just car camping. Hike to the top on the next day leaving very early in the am (is that enough time to acclimate from sea level in Maryland?).

Then drive some of the 7 hours to Nevada's high point later that day after the hike if I was up to it and the rest of the next day to get to Boundary peak.

Hike Boundary on the 4th day. Drive back to the Airport on Day 5 and fly back home later in the day. That's not leaving an extra day for failure and trying a mountain again though if I did fail the first time due to weather ...

Any thoughts? Looking at a map, this seems to make more sense than to fly into Flagstaff and then back out of Flagstaff I think. I want to come and go from the same airport so the rental car and flights are cheapest. I think Las Vegas is a relatively cheap airport to fly in and out of.

Thanks in advance if you have any thoughts regarding this plan. I just came up with it in 45 minutes of research . I really don't want to hike either peak by myself as I get lost easily and would feel much safer doing it with someone in case I fall and get hurt. Boundary Peak is so remote, I think that might freak me out a bit doing it alone. I'm kind of a wimp when it come to doing these hikes sometimes though I did do Whitney alone. On Whitney though there was eventually always people up ahead at points. I'll reach out to the forum when time gets closer if anyone's available to do it with me, otherwise I'll just wing it and hope for the best. I can't figure out how to put these 2 peaks in Mapquest so I just Mapquest routes from the closest towns to the high points.

Steve R

Directions from A to B:
1. Start out going EAST on WAYNE NEWTON BLVD. 0.0 mi Map
2. Take the ramp toward I-215/RENTAL CAR RETURN/I-15/LAS VEGAS/HENDERSON. 0.4 mi Map | Avoid
3. Merge onto PARADISE RD. 1.3 mi Map | Avoid
4. Merge onto I-215 E/BRUCE WOODBURY BELT. 9.7 mi Map | Avoid
5. Merge onto US-93 S via EXIT 1 toward BOULDER CITY. 12.0 mi Map | Avoid
6. Turn LEFT to stay on US-93 S (Crossing into ARIZONA). 78.7 mi Map | Avoid
7. Merge onto I-40 E/PURPLE HEART TRL via the ramp on the LEFT toward FLAGSTAFF/PHOENIX. 145.6 mi Map | Avoid
8. Take the I-17 exit, EXIT 195, toward AZ-89A/PHOENIX/FLAGSTAFF. 0.3 mi Map | Avoid
9. Merge onto AZ-89-ALT N via the exit on the LEFT toward AZ-89A N/US-180 N/FLAGSTAFF/GRAND CANYON. 0.8 mi Map | Avoid
10. Stay STRAIGHT to go onto S MILTON RD/AZ-89A. Continue to follow S MILTON RD. 1.5 mi Map | Avoid
11. S MILTON RD becomes I-40-BL/W US-66. 0.2 mi Map | Avoid
12. Welcome to FLAGSTAFF, AZ. Map
A to B Travel Estimate: 3 hours 54 minutes / 250.48 miles
Flagstaff, AZ Edit
Online Offers: Motels in Flagstaff Flagstaff Restaurants Arizona Auto Insurance
Directions from B to C:
1. Start out going SOUTHWEST on W SANTA FE AVE/W US-66/I-40-BL/US-180 toward N HUMPHREYS ST. Continue to follow W US-66/I-40-BL. 0.7 mi Map
2. Turn RIGHT onto I-40-BL/W US-66/US-66. Continue to follow I-40-BL/W US-66. 4.4 mi Map | Avoid
3. Stay STRAIGHT to go onto I-40 W/PURPLE HEART TRL/AZ-89 S. Continue to follow I-40 W/PURPLE HEART TRL. 141.4 mi Map | Avoid
4. Take the US-93/BEALE ST exit, EXIT 48, toward AZ-68/LAS VEGAS. 0.3 mi Map | Avoid
5. Turn SLIGHT RIGHT toward AZ-68 W/BULLHEAD CITY/LAUGHLIN. 0.0 mi Map | Avoid
6. Take US-93 N (Crossing into NEVADA). 104.3 mi Map | Avoid
7. Merge onto US-95 N via the exit on the LEFT toward RENO/TONOPAH. 116.5 mi Map | Avoid
8. Turn RIGHT onto E MAIN ST/US-95. Continue to follow US-95. 51.7 mi Map | Avoid
9. Turn LEFT onto NV-266 (Crossing into CALIFORNIA). 40.0 mi Map | Avoid
10. NV-266 becomes CA-266 (Crossing into NEVADA). 12.4 mi Map | Avoid
11. CA-266 becomes NV-264. 9.0 mi Map | Avoid
12. Welcome to DYER, NV. Map
B to C Travel Estimate: 7 hours 40 minutes / 480.77 miles
Dyer, NV Edit
Online Offers: Motels in Dyer Dyer Restaurants Nevada Auto Insurance
Directions from C to D:
1. Start out going SOUTHEAST on NV-264 toward PURPLE SAGE RD (Crossing into CALIFORNIA). 9.0 mi Map
2. NV-264 becomes CA-266 (Crossing into NEVADA). 12.4 mi Map | Avoid
3. CA-266 becomes NV-266. 40.0 mi Map | Avoid
4. Turn RIGHT onto US-95. 51.7 mi Map | Avoid
5. Turn LEFT onto S 2ND ST/S US-95/US-95. Continue to follow US-95 S. 115.1 mi Map | Avoid
6. Merge onto I-15 S toward LOS ANGELES. 6.1 mi Map | Avoid
7. Take the TROPICANA AVE EAST/TROPICANA AVE WEST exit, EXIT 37, toward UNLV. 0.1 mi Map | Avoid
8. Take the EAST TROPICANA AVE ramp. 0.4 mi Map | Avoid
9. Merge onto NV-593 E. 1.6 mi Map | Avoid
10. Turn RIGHT onto PARADISE RD. 0.4 mi Map | Avoid
11. Turn SLIGHT RIGHT toward TERMINAL 1/PASSENGER PICK-UP/PARKING GARAGE/VALET/DEPARTING FLIGHTS. 0.2 mi Map | Avoid
12. Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto WAYNE NEWTON BLVD. 0.4 mi Map | Avoid
13. Go STRAIGHT toward DEPARTING FLIGHTS. 0.2 mi Map | Avoid
14. Turn SLIGHT LEFT onto WAYNE NEWTON BLVD. 0.0 mi Map | Avoid
15. 5757 WAYNE NEWTON BLVD. Map
C to D Travel Estimate: 4 hours 2 minutes / 237.70 miles
Total Travel Estimate: 15 hours 38 minutes / 968.95 miles Fuel Cost: $120.69 at 25 MPG edit
When I did Boundry I flew into Vegas, drove up to the mine and camped there. It was a pretty nice campsite. Expect it to be empty. When I was there in May there was too much snow to drive up further but if you can drive all the way to the TH and camp there you should consider it although I think the campsite at the mine was much nicer from an asthetic point of view.

I'd opt for camping on Boundry...all the nearby towns looked pretty sketchy.

January 21st, 2011, 4:06 am #7

From places in Flagstaff, proper, you're less than 30 minutes from where the Ski Lift Lodge is, and from there it's maybe 10-15 minutes up the Snow Bowl Road to the trailhead, so it really isn't a big deal. The second time we were out there in 2008, we stayed in Flag because of the Konvention. Had to get up a half-hour earlier to be at the trailhead at first light, not a big deal. Altitude difference is minor between Flag and the base of the hill, too.

I do suggest getting a very early start on Humphreys. Starting at first light, we made it to the summit before any storms blew up but the clouds started to build while we were taking our summit photos and there was lightning behind us before we got back to the Humphreys/Agassiz saddle and the trail down into the forest. The weather changes quickly and when you're on the summit, you're a good mile away from the first available cover if t-storms pop up. Pretty typical of a lot of the "walk-up" western peaks. Wheeler (NM) and Elbert (CO) are pretty much the same...fairly long exposed ridges where you do not want to be in a t-storm. Whitney (CA) is even worse...about 2 miles just to get back to Trail Crest and then you have the 97 switchbacks before you're down into the rocks around Trail Camp.

There is a webcam pointed at Humphreys from somewhere around Flag. You can't actually see Humphreys...Agassiz is closer and hides the taller peak, but if you watch the weather pattern on the web cam for a few days before your planned climb, you can get an idea of what time the storms start to blow up before you head up the hill.
I don't mind getting up a little earlier and have a bit nicer hotel for the same money as Snowbowl. It's so odd as an east coaster why these storm build up almost every day on these peaks. I don't get that... don't they know guys like me are trying to climb them and it messes with my plans?

Yeeeesh!

January 21st, 2011, 4:07 am #8

When I did Boundry I flew into Vegas, drove up to the mine and camped there. It was a pretty nice campsite. Expect it to be empty. When I was there in May there was too much snow to drive up further but if you can drive all the way to the TH and camp there you should consider it although I think the campsite at the mine was much nicer from an asthetic point of view.

I'd opt for camping on Boundry...all the nearby towns looked pretty sketchy.
since I actually used it! Thanks.

January 21st, 2011, 4:21 am #9

I don't mind getting up a little earlier and have a bit nicer hotel for the same money as Snowbowl. It's so odd as an east coaster why these storm build up almost every day on these peaks. I don't get that... don't they know guys like me are trying to climb them and it messes with my plans?

Yeeeesh!
You're exactly right...Mother Nature and the weather people have absolutely no respect for us climbers!!

One other comment since you're planning on camping at the Queen Mine on the way up to Boundary Peak...that will be a dry camp, so plan on hauling plenty of water with you in the car. If you hike up to the Kennedy Pass saddle to camp, you'll need to double up on your normal load of water so you have enough for the evening plus the whole climb and back down to your car. Not impossible by any means, especially since it's just a one-night stand but the last chance for water will be Benton or some other little town before you get to the Queen Canyon Road.

Speaking of no respect for climbers (or hikers!), it takes four 7.5-minute USGS quadrangles to cover the approach and summit of Boundary Peak. Why on earth do all these trails have to meander around the very corner of a map where you need not just one or two, but all four to figure out where you are??? Of course, you can do what I did and cut/paste the corners together from the .pdf maps you can download from the USGS store. I'll be happy to put that merged map fragment back on my web site and post the link if you'd like.

January 21st, 2011, 10:01 pm #10

I agree, the maps for Boundary were a pain. Like you I did the cut-and-paste thing, but unlike you I did it the hard way: Printing everything out and then going crazy with scissors and tape!

Were you using a special program to merge the maps, or just a drawing program of some sort?