End of the year review

End of the year review

December 11th, 2007, 8:35 am #1

Another highpointing season is drawing to a close, and it's time for us to reminisce/trumpet/gloat, or at least compare notes about what highpoints we've summitted this year. And of course also what are highpointing plans are for 2008. Since i'm the dork who starts this post every year, i'll go first!

2007 was the least-productive HP year for me so far, but i couldn't care less. I summitted Gannett! Finally. From the Glacier Trail approach. Earlier in the summer i tacked on Pennsylvania and Maryland, bringing my total to 38. Unless you count AZ county highpoints Mt. Wrightson and Mt. Lemmon, that's all she wrote.

2008 is up in the air. I'm still entertaining serious thoughts of hiking the whole PCT, and if that happens then there will probably be no highpoints for me this year. But if it doesn't happen, who knows...i still have Granite Peak and the Great Lake states to do. Anybody planning MT for '08? Anybody thinking about Denali in '09???

Happy Highpointing Holidays One and All!

December 11th, 2007, 12:52 pm #2

1 state (Delaware)
13 counties
10 SE >5000
hours hiked, steps taken unknown

December 11th, 2007, 1:29 pm #3

Another highpointing season is drawing to a close, and it's time for us to reminisce/trumpet/gloat, or at least compare notes about what highpoints we've summitted this year. And of course also what are highpointing plans are for 2008. Since i'm the dork who starts this post every year, i'll go first!

2007 was the least-productive HP year for me so far, but i couldn't care less. I summitted Gannett! Finally. From the Glacier Trail approach. Earlier in the summer i tacked on Pennsylvania and Maryland, bringing my total to 38. Unless you count AZ county highpoints Mt. Wrightson and Mt. Lemmon, that's all she wrote.

2008 is up in the air. I'm still entertaining serious thoughts of hiking the whole PCT, and if that happens then there will probably be no highpoints for me this year. But if it doesn't happen, who knows...i still have Granite Peak and the Great Lake states to do. Anybody planning MT for '08? Anybody thinking about Denali in '09???

No new state highpoints (last one we did was HI in '06), but our trek through Philmont (100 miles in 11 days) took us over the top of Baldy Mountain, 12,441' and the highest peak in the Ranch.

I've lost my pack horse...Nathan is off to college and won't have time for summer highpointing trips for the next few years, at least. And just as he was becoming useful, too...

Enough new countries (no, not counties) to put my total over 100, but not really catching up to Marcia's 118. (I collect state highpoints...she collects countries on the Travelers Century Club list.)

Plans for '08? Humphreys Peak and the Konvention, for sure (with Nathan...Northwestern has a late-September start). Seriously considering a try at Hood and Rainier earlier in the summer.

Mark, you mentioned Denali in '09...let's see how Hood and Rainier go and I may just be up for Denali in '09.

41 under my boots, AK, AZ, ID, MT, NV, OR, UT, WA and WY to go.

December 11th, 2007, 3:05 pm #4

So the yearly totals are starting to get smaller but the mountains involved are getting bigger as I've begun to take on my final region ... the West.

Added 3 new highpoints this year in one most outstanding week out West. Boundary, Humphreys and Elbert brought my state HP total up to 41. I'm now tied with Alan Ritter! Woohoo! But oddly (with only 4 total western states to my credit), I still have yet to qualify for my 30-state or 40-state pin. Oh well.

Also revisited Fort Reno, DC for extra credit with the new survey marker in place. And did a re-hike of Mount Greylock with that Doug Urban/Holsti97 dude and his wife.

2008 will be another extra credit peak (probably in March) - Cerro de Punta, Puerto Rico followed by Kings and Borah probably in late July or early August.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.

December 11th, 2007, 4:09 pm #5

This past year gained me only one new summit, that being MO. But I got it in conjunction with the Jack Longacre dedication, so it was a special day. So my total is up to 36. My effort was low in large part because I was "preoccupied" with the WI 2007 Convention. Many thanks to the dozens of people who made WI (and all our conventions) so successful and enjoyable.

Some big plans for this year: I hope to pick up WA, ID, CO and UT this summer and fall, and perhaps revisit OK and NM, prior to the AZ 2008 convention. If successful, that will leave me with "only" MT and AK for the big western states, and also put me into the "Over-the-Hill Gang". We shall see how it goes.

I also am interested in Denali in 2009. Let's talk.

Good climbing to all! Happy Holidays! JES

December 11th, 2007, 6:46 pm #6

I only visited one state highpoint this year and it was a repeat - WI. I'm still holding steady at 49, with only my home state remaining. My last new highpoint was IL in 2005.

But I did some neat (non-highpoint) climbs in the Chugach and Kenai Mountains and I'm making some headway toward climbing all 120 peaks in Chugach State Park - I have 18 remaining.

December 11th, 2007, 8:29 pm #7

The repeat was Mt. Washington, which I did twice--once with a group carrying a 40-pound canoe to the summit, and once during a presi traverse. Both times were in summer.

Late September, I finally got my first Western highpoint: Humphreys Peak. Normally, would not have been too bad a hike, except:

1. I'd gotten a total of 3 hours sleep in the two nights prior
2. I went from Phoenix to the top in about 7 hours time (that's 11500' difference...ugh...)
3. I'd just injured my leg badly on a county highpoint a week and a half before, and
4. Was with my mother, who'd had a heart attack and had to take things slowly

Don't know if the coming year will bring any new state highpoints, but I can only hope...

December 11th, 2007, 11:47 pm #8

Our first HP adventure involved a trip to Iowa to the Field of Dreams followed by the 'feedbunk in the sky" Hawkeye Point. We then drove to South Dakota and did all of the touristy things and camped at Custer State park and climbed Harney Peak, followed by a trip to Devils Tower and then a lonely drive to White Butte in North Dakota.

In July I attempted Gannett Peak in Wyoming, but turned around at 12,300 feet when my hiking partner injured his leg and turned back. I didn't think it was wise to go solo so I went back with him. Still questioning my decision since it took a lot of time, money, and energy to get to that point. I may consider hiring pack horses to carry my gear the next time I attempt Gannett.

I attended my first Highpointers Convention in my home state of Wisconsin and climbed Timms Hill for the first time. Enjoyed meeting fellow Highpointers from all over the United States and also did several county highpoints that week.

In October my wife and I flew to Burlington, VT and I climbed Mansfield for the 2nd time, and also did New York, Massachusetts with frequent America's Roof contributor Mark S and his Dad, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Jersey, and Delaware. Ebright Azimuth was my 30th Highpoint including at least 5 in each region.

Since I'm not getting any younger and have 8 Western Highpoints left, I am going to concentrate on climbing those in the next 2 years (excluding Denali and Hawaii). My plans for 2008 are to do Mount Hood, Borah Peak, and Granite Peak for sure. Possibly Ohio and Indiana as time allows.

Merry Christmas everybody. Keep Klimbin'.

December 12th, 2007, 5:24 am #9

It's been a very successful year! Completed Texas in the Spring, Wyoming in July. That completed my lower 48. In October completed Hawaii with beautiful skies and no wind.

I'm looking at completing the 50 by doing Denali in 2009. Let's talk. Been there in 1990 to 16200' on West Buttress route I want to try Denali again!

December 13th, 2007, 1:46 pm #10

including my first "big" one that actually required some level of fitness to hike - Humphrey's.

More significant is the weight-loss that has allowed me to bag arizona and will allow me to bag the rest of the more difficult highpoints. I started out the year at about 340lbs (estimate) and as of this morning I'm 269.8. In the arizona picture above (in May), I was about 300.

By comparison, when I visited the South in 2004, I was at least 360 lbs.