Does it count?

Does it count?

November 14th, 2004, 11:15 pm #1

Back in September I drove up Spruce Knob in West Virginia during the storm which was the remnants of Hurricane Francis.When I got to the parking lot the wind was howling and the rain was pouring down.I jumped out of the car and took a picture of the sign "Spruce Knob.Highest elevation in West Virginia".I got back in the car and drove down the mountain.About a month later I relized that there is a path to a tower.My question is,Does the parking lot count as the highpoint or should I do it over?

Jeff

November 15th, 2004, 12:09 am #2

...only YOU can decide, searching deep into your soul.

(And if you're soul doesn't tell you to go back and touch the real high point, you're soul is a weenie. hehe)

November 15th, 2004, 12:15 am #3

Thanks for setting me straight.I don't know what I was thinking.

November 15th, 2004, 2:11 am #4

...only YOU can decide, searching deep into your soul.

(And if you're soul doesn't tell you to go back and touch the real high point, you're soul is a weenie. hehe)
i was going to say the same thing.. i just didn't know how to put it into words..

i know that if it were me, my noodle-ly little brain wouldn't let me sleep until i went back and touched the actual highpoint.
and if you don't have such a mindset, i envy you. seriously.

anyway. who am i to tell you that you didn't do it?

November 15th, 2004, 3:34 pm #5

Back in September I drove up Spruce Knob in West Virginia during the storm which was the remnants of Hurricane Francis.When I got to the parking lot the wind was howling and the rain was pouring down.I jumped out of the car and took a picture of the sign "Spruce Knob.Highest elevation in West Virginia".I got back in the car and drove down the mountain.About a month later I relized that there is a path to a tower.My question is,Does the parking lot count as the highpoint or should I do it over?

Jeff
Just so you know, the Club's list of completers is a simple compilation of people who claim to have visited the highest point of all 50 states. I do not make any attempt to verify the claim (how could I?). It's enough work just to track the names and try to get a writeup for the Club newsletter. To order a Club achievement award (pin, patch, plaque), Jean requires some information such as dates/states. Submitting a your qualifying list of states/dates is nice. - John M.

November 16th, 2004, 1:55 am #6

i was going to say the same thing.. i just didn't know how to put it into words..

i know that if it were me, my noodle-ly little brain wouldn't let me sleep until i went back and touched the actual highpoint.
and if you don't have such a mindset, i envy you. seriously.

anyway. who am i to tell you that you didn't do it?
To be honest since I found out I didn't make it I've been planning to go back.And it does eat at you!Earlier this year I missed Mt mansfield by about 100 feet.Went back a month later and did it right.Strange hobby we've got going here isn't it?

November 16th, 2004, 5:47 am #7

Another reason to go back would be because the weather really prevented you from seeing anything. I was able touch the actual summit of Mt. Washington last February, but did so in zero visibility. There is that gnawing feeling inside my gut that makes me want to return to see some type of view and to actually see the mountain from below for the first time.

November 16th, 2004, 2:27 pm #8

To be honest since I found out I didn't make it I've been planning to go back.And it does eat at you!Earlier this year I missed Mt mansfield by about 100 feet.Went back a month later and did it right.Strange hobby we've got going here isn't it?
My Spruce Knob experience was similar: very heavy rain and just the quickest run out to the lookout and rocks to call it good. But not satisfying. My wife's folks live about two hours from there so we'll be back for certain, hopefully under better conditions.

Heck, visiting a HP more than once just makes it all the more fun!

November 16th, 2004, 2:48 pm #9

Jeff
Spruce Knob, while not the most impressive of highpoints, has it's share of breathtaking vistas. I was fortunate enough to make the summit at the end of a clear day as the sun was setting. Check out the pics to see what I mean at http://www.geocities.com/higherground50 ... a_page.htm. Hope this adds fuel to the fire of your wish to return!

December 22nd, 2004, 9:01 am #10

Jeff
I went there at night and walked around the summit area a bit. However, a gas station attendant later told me there was a 6' high rock marking the actual summit. I did, however, shoot a picture of the sign:

http://lonewacko.com/blog/archives/000772.html

Is that the actual summit or is there really such a rock? If the latter, I'll probably try to do it again. (The link includes pics of the view from Spruce Knob and the smallest church in MD.)