Did any of you folks think of fellow highpointer Jim Nasti on the 4th of July?

Did any of you folks think of fellow highpointer Jim Nasti on the 4th of July?

July 8th, 2009, 8:28 pm #1

Jim passed away on the very summit of Denali a year ago. He is one of a handful of highpointers to be known to have perished while in the act of highpointing. This somewhat controversial NY Times editorial article discusses his death. Following it are 250 posts by people with comments on it. Thoroughly fascinating reading, sure to keep you immersed for hours. The eloquence of the NY Times readership becomes apparent immediately, compared to the dregs of society who post blog comments on every article I read in the Denver Post online, or at Yahoo News, etc....

What many folks fail to consider is that this in an editorial, not a news article, much less an obituary, and that the writer is free to draw conclusions, make conjectures, lay blame, whatever he feels like, and not simply report the news at it happened.

The response is about 50/50 between "he died doing what he loved, more power to him!" and "he shouldn't have done such a risky thing given that he had family, or could have caused his rescuers harm and expense...".

http://egan.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/07/0 ... /#comments

As highpointers, I'm sure you all will feel compelled to read on, each comment being more powerful than the last.

On a completely unrelated note, I purchased a SPOT GPS/911 device last week, so I can stay in touch with loved ones on climbs. I have seen it used in anger on Orizaba to great effect this past January, and I have witnessed it's tracking capabilities during friend's quests for Denali and Rainier this past month. I will post in a month or two with feedback.

www.findmespot.com

Dave

August 19th, 2009, 2:40 am #2

The fourth of july being my birthday, i will probably think of him every year it comes around, and wish it had not happened. I did'nt know him, but i thought of him on the 4th as i was counting my blessings. ( 1 year shy of 50, it's much better to count your blessings than the candles on the cake, especially when you've attempted Denali yourself)