Details of April 27 Highpointers NYC Brunch

Details of April 27 Highpointers NYC Brunch

roger
roger

March 1st, 2002, 3:20 pm #1

Here's the definite date and information for the Highpointers New York City brunch

Date: Noon, Saturday, April 27
Place: China Peace Restaurant
331 West 51st (north side of street between 8th and 9th Avenues)
New York, NY

Here's a map:
http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?BFCat= ... ap=Get+Map

Family and friends are welcome.

I moved the venue from Downtown to Midtown as it is more convenient to subways and more central to any other activities you might want to do. If you are interested in going to Ground Zero, the "E" Train will take you to the newly reopened World Trade Center stop (the stop which was just north of the towers was only slightly damaged in the collapse).

We have no formal activity but folks might want to go together to Ground Zero or up to Manhattan's Highest Point (or some other excursion we decide on).

While this dinner is aimed primarily at Highpointers in the Northeast, we have folks from Oklahoma and Colorado who say they will attend.

I consider it a dry run to see what would be involved on bringing the next Highpointers Club Convention to metro New York at either High Point and Mount Frissell when it comes back to the Northeast in 2005.

Please RSVP me so I can keep tabs. I anticipate that we will have between 25 and 50 people. My email address is [url=mailto:roger.rowlett@americasroof.com]roger.rowlett@americasroof.com[/url].

The restaurant has very good reasonably priced food (the lunch menu has several $4.95 meals including soup or egg roll and rice). We will have our own room.

I cancelled the proposed Feb. 16 brunch after several people said it would conflict with President's Holiday 3-day weekend plans. I won't cancel this time around.

I look forward to seeing you!

roger
roger

March 18th, 2002, 1:00 pm #2

It has been a bit of an obsession photographing the Tribute in Light over the past week as I've been scouting an itinerary for our Highpointers Brunch.

There is now a little used path that goes along the Hudson virtually to the front door of the WTC. For those who think that things take on more significance if you reach it by muscle power we might consider walking down it.

Check out my Flash movie of the Tribute. It's a small file (248K) and has no sound. Quite modestly I don't think I've seen anything quite like it.

http://americasroof.com/tribute-in-light/

Winglady
Winglady

March 19th, 2002, 2:52 pm #3

Roger -
Indeed, you've done a beautiful job with this! Thank you.

One suggestion/request: slow it down a little, so viewers can better "take in" the beauty and the mood of the photos (and still read the captions as well)

roger
roger

March 20th, 2002, 3:07 pm #4

Here's the definite date and information for the Highpointers New York City brunch

New York, NY

Here's a map:

I moved the venue from Downtown to Midtown as it is more convenient to subways and more central to any other activities you might want to do. If you are interested in going to Ground Zero, the "E" Train will take you to the newly reopened World Trade Center stop (the stop which was just north of the towers was only slightly damaged in the collapse).

We have no formal activity but folks might want to go together to Ground Zero or up to Manhattan's Highest Point (or some other excursion we decide on).

While this dinner is aimed primarily at Highpointers in the Northeast, we have folks from Oklahoma and Colorado who say they will attend.

I consider it a dry run to see what would be involved on bringing the next Highpointers Club Convention to metro New York at either High Point and Mount Frissell when it comes back to the Northeast in 2005.

Please RSVP me so I can keep tabs. I anticipate that we will have between 25 and 50 people. My email address is [url=mailto:roger.rowlett@americasroof.com]roger.rowlett@americasroof.com[/url].

The restaurant has very good reasonably priced food (the lunch menu has several $4.95 meals including soup or egg roll and rice). We will have our own room.

I cancelled the proposed Feb. 16 brunch after several people said it would conflict with President's Holiday 3-day weekend plans. I won't cancel this time around.

Fresh Kills is supposed to be higher than New York City's highest natural point (Todt Hill which is also on Staten Island)
http://americasroof.com/nyc-highest.shtml

Here's Forum postings on Todt Hill:
For Forum postings on Todt Hill
http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/sea ... hterm=Todt

----------------------
BRODHEAD--Applied Ecological Services served as ecological consultant on an international design team that will develop plans for the redevelopment of Fresh Kills Landfill on Staten Island in New York City.

The team won the design competition in December with an entry called Lifescape, company spokesman Jack Broughton said in a news release.

Fresh Kills is the largest landfill in the world, covering 2,200 acres. It has operated since 1948. It was closed in 2001 and was partially re-opened in September to receive wreckage from the World Trade Center, which was destroyed in the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, Broughton said.

Most of the site will be restored to native vegetation communities such as savannas, prairies and wetlands, said William Stoll, Applied Ecological Systems ecologist and project manager. The design also includes recreation fields, a sports center, an environmental educa tion center and displays, a nesting island for migrating birds, an equestrian center, miles of hiking and biking trails, canoeing facilities, commercial greenhouses and a memorial to the victims of Sept. 11.

http://www.gazetteextra.com/appliedecoserv031902.html

roger
roger

March 20th, 2002, 3:19 pm #5

Roger -
Indeed, you've done a beautiful job with this! Thank you.

One suggestion/request: slow it down a little, so viewers can better "take in" the beauty and the mood of the photos (and still read the captions as well)
Thanks Diane for your comments. I've incorporated some of the changes. This took longer than expected but was a joy. It's been become something of a cult thing on the Internet as thousands of folks are visiting my the movie:

http://americasroof.com/tribute-in-light/

roger
roger

April 1st, 2002, 3:28 pm #6

New York, NY

Here's a map:

There's no conspiracy here. I scouted the Manhattan Highpoint (New York County) in Bennett Park over the weekend and was surprised to see that the boulders are blocked off by a fence.

Residents told me this is an effort to convert the dirt field surrounding it into grass. The plan was to take the fence down last fall however the drought has led to the fence being up longer than expected.

If you are interested in visiting this highpoint during our brunch please let me know as I will make arrangements with the city (the fence is easily jumpable however having a formal group I should go through channels).

Also, by coincidence, the weekly newspaper in northern Manhattan which saw my website on Manhattan's highest point says they may want to cover our brunch.

http://americasroof.com/nyc-manhattan.shtml

roger
roger

April 5th, 2002, 11:00 pm #7

New York, NY

Here's a map:

We're getting a bigger crowd than I expected. This Brunch is quite the social event of the season. Please RSVP!

roger
roger

April 11th, 2002, 4:24 pm #8

New York, NY

Here's a map:

Even though I made reservations at a restaurant three doors from my apartment and it is one of the cheapest good lunches you can find, folks from all over the world are RSVP'ing.

Folks from the Oklahoma and Colorado and even the Netherlands have RSVP'd.

All for a $4.95 lunch!

Be sure to RSVP to me!

roger
roger

April 12th, 2002, 8:06 pm #9

New York, NY

Here's a map:

I have probably 50 or so confirmations for the brunch.

One of the stated possible destinations was the viewing area at Ground Zero. Most of the people responding are from the metro NYC area and so have already had their own relationship with Ground Zero and do not necessarily want to go again.

I think everybody should see it (even if it's just a hole in the ground now). I dare you to keep a dry eye when you see the spontaneous memorials.

There is a viewing platform elevated above the ground. You can get tickets at the South Street Seaport but I cannot reserve them in advance.

Here are the details:
http://www.southstreetseaport.com/info/visitor.cfm#wtc

roger
roger

April 23rd, 2002, 4:23 pm #10

New York, NY

Here's a map:

The other night on Garrison Keeler I heard them talking about New York jokes. One was that in NYC you could get the world's best cheap meal or the world's worst expensive meal. Hopefully you will find that our brunch will qualify in the former category.

Please RSVP me if you plan to attend. The brunch is this Saturday!