Days from Alabama to Georgia

Days from Alabama to Georgia

March 30th, 2005, 1:48 am #1

Just wondering what the time frame will look like doing Alabama, Georgia, SC and then Mitchell starting at Cheaha and moving on up to do the rest? Rather not drive at night. Ideas? Thanks

March 30th, 2005, 2:20 am #2

well, i left black mountain at the crack of dawn (it was still dark when i got there) and didn't get to sassafras until noon. since we drove through asheville at about 10:30, i would say that it's 2½ hours from mitchell to sassafras. we spent maybe 30 minutes at sassafras, and was on brasstown bald at about 2:30pm, and since we hiked from the parking lot (instead of taking the shuttle) and spent a little time at the top, we didn't leave until 4:00.

from from brasstown to cheaha i can only speculate, but it took a good 90 minutes to get from brasstown to the outskirts of atlanta.. and i'm guessing that cheaha is another hour or two from there - more if you get caught in atlanta's legendary traffic (as we did.. yuck)

March 30th, 2005, 3:13 am #3

Just wondering what the time frame will look like doing Alabama, Georgia, SC and then Mitchell starting at Cheaha and moving on up to do the rest? Rather not drive at night. Ideas? Thanks
From Bama to Georgia is hours away. Just that you have Atlanta in between. Traffic can be a problem but no big deal usually. Just take your time and enjoy Northern Gerogia. Helene, which is just South of Brasstown is a beautiful Bavarian town in the US.

Sassafras' area doesn't have much to offer, so you'll probably hit it and head on to Asheville.

From Asheville you'll get on to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Stop at the Folk Art Center and you will get all the information on the area that you need. The FAC is about an hour from Mitchell.

There is plenty of lodging along the way so stop and smell the roses.

Have fun and be safe.

March 30th, 2005, 4:16 am #4

I realize this is going to clash with Craig's more relaxing pace, but here are the drive times from our 9/16/03 attempt to bag GA-SC-NC-TN-VA-KY in 24 hours. We saved AL for a later trip.

- Left Brasstown Bald at 12:01 a.m.
- Arrive Sassafras 3:30 a.m.
- Arrive at locked gate on Mitchell 6:16 a.m.

Now, this was mid-week and at a low traffic volume time of day, so "your results may vary."

And no, we realized that we were going to hit Black Mountain at about 24.5 hours, so we crashed and hit it the next morning.

March 31st, 2005, 3:11 am #5

From Cheaha to Brasstown is about 2.5 hours. Go to Atlanta on I-20, 285 to the Alpharetta Autobahn (Ga 400/US 19) and thence to Brasstown via Ga 180 and spur.

To Sassafras, suggest Ga 75 to Hiawassee, US 76 to Clemson (SC), US 23 to Easley and US 176 Sassafras turnoff. This is a 3 hour drive and is not the most scenic. (That would be through Highlands and Franklin.) There really is no quick way from one to the other. Its about 3 hours, or longer, by any route.

To Mitchell take US 176 to Rosman, US 64 to Brevard and NC 280 to I-26. Go north on I-26 to Asheville and take I-40 east. Exit US 74-A south to parkway and north to Mitchell. (One cannot access the parkway from the interstates. Access from US 25, 74-A,70, Beaverdam Rd, or Town Mt Road). Its 1.5 hours to Asheville and another hour to Mitchell. The parkway is closed north of Mitchell due landslides from the hurricanes last fall.

Many places along way of interest: Helen and Dahlonega Ga, Brevard and Asheville NC. Myself, I off to Asheville Friday. Stop at Barleys Taproom, downtown Asheville on Biltmore Ave! Pizza by the slice and local microbeer