County Highpointing...I Give In

County Highpointing...I Give In

April 24th, 2006, 7:37 pm #1

OK, I have decided to join the madness and become a County Highpointer as well as State Highpointer. Is there a system set up like the state highpoints, where you send your updates to a certain person? Is there a roup online?

April 24th, 2006, 9:55 pm #2

Go to http://www.cohp.org There is a link toward the top that says "Become a member" It takes you to a yahoo group (requires login). Post your stuff there.

-hojo

April 24th, 2006, 10:08 pm #3

OK, I have decided to join the madness and become a County Highpointer as well as State Highpointer. Is there a system set up like the state highpoints, where you send your updates to a certain person? Is there a roup online?
Yes, at one time I was a committed state highpointer until I ran out of states nearby my home to do, so I broke down and became a county HPer, too. Through direct hand-to-hand combat battles (and longevity), I have risen to the role of moderator for cohp@yahoogroups, so although you need to register, it's trivial and you will be summarily approved (the screen is just to keep out the spammers).

The counties offer the same fascinating cross section of peaks and HPs just as the states do, obviously on a smaller and more localized scale. I started light - I had a few in AZ done (my home state) over the years, then realized I had most of the toughies done, so I finished the rest off over a period of a year back in 1999-2000. Like potato chips, you can't stop at one. Once it's in your system, it's consumes you. You can't go on any trip without looking up where the nearby COHPs are!

www.cohp.org houses an incredible repository of trip reports - many down to the fine detail of map minutiae. An excellent resource, as is summitpost.org.

The invitation is open to everyone! At the very least, do the half-dozen counties nearest your home, and see how you feel about the hobby afterwards.

April 25th, 2006, 12:44 am #4

"Do the half-dozen counties nearest your home, and see how you feel about the hobby afterwards."

So, I hope this isn't as infectious as the state HP bug. I'd probably go through my meager life savings (as well as my meager life itself) if I were to do the six county equivalents nearest my home.

1. Bashful Peak 8005 feet - this was a three-day climb for me.
2. Mount Torbert 11413 feet
3. Mount Hunter 14573 feet
4. Mount Bona 16550 feet
5. Mount McKinley 20320 feet - attempted, but did not summit after 26 days on the mountain.
6. Southeast ridge of Mount Neacola 9250 feet

I think I can tell you how I feel about this hobby even before delving into it too deeply. I'd be in over my head right at the start of such a quest.

April 25th, 2006, 6:33 pm #5

I have likewise begun county highpointing on a limited basis (full-time college student w/o access to a car). Though most of the counties around my home in Toledo, OH are less than spectacular, I have found the New England counties to be incredibly beautiful and diverse. I've completed CT, and am now working on VT and NH.

April 25th, 2006, 6:39 pm #6

Fortunately, I live in Colorado, so many of the HP's are excellent. I would really like to bak and do my home state of Oregon...interesting variety there.