Colorado Republican Reaches New Low

Colorado Republican Reaches New Low

roger
roger

April 28th, 2000, 4:47 pm #1

doug_vanderiet@hermanmiller.com has pointed out that the North Fork of the Republican River near Laird appears at least 10 feet lower than where the Arkansas River leaves near Holly (which is listed on my lowest points page). Looking at the maps I think he is correct. Colorado still has the highest low state low point. Opinions?

Arkansas River (closest contour 3,350)
http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=38. ... ize=s&s=25

Republican River (closest contour 3,340?)
http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=40. ... =25&size=s

John G
John G

April 29th, 2000, 1:34 am #2

Above

Fred
Fred

April 29th, 2000, 2:43 am #3

doug_vanderiet@hermanmiller.com has pointed out that the North Fork of the Republican River near Laird appears at least 10 feet lower than where the Arkansas River leaves near Holly (which is listed on my lowest points page). Looking at the maps I think he is correct. Colorado still has the highest low state low point. Opinions?

I think I found an even lower point where the Arikaree crosses into Kansas. The closest contour is 3320 feet. It's at about 39.98 N and 102.05 W.

Since I found it, can I name it Anderson Point? Just Kidding

Bob
Bob

April 29th, 2000, 2:48 pm #4

The lowest contours shown on the Topozone maps are 3350 for both the Arkansas and Republican Rivers, although the width is much greater at the Republican. Since there is an official publication (Elevations and distances in the United States by the USGS), I think we should stick with the Arkansas for now. It should be possible for someone to visit both points with a GPS. Any local takers (I am in Arkansas and don't have a GPS anyway!)?
However, Fred is correct that the Arikaree is even lower. There is a contour at 3330 and a point at 3321. This should be GPS'ed as well.
Thanks for a great job.

Bob

wise guy
wise guy

April 30th, 2000, 5:46 pm #5

I think I found an even lower point where the Arikaree crosses into Kansas. The closest contour is 3320 feet. It's at about 39.98 N and 102.05 W.

Since I found it, can I name it Anderson Point? Just Kidding
Your proposal sounds fine but only if you`re a politician. They seem to need all the hype they can get!!

John M
John M

May 2nd, 2000, 4:52 pm #6

The legendary Jack Parsell sent me the following email after I sent him the recent posts regarding the new lowpoint of Colorado. - John Mitchler

John

Thanks for sending the latest input on the CO low point. Also I really like the topo map
site, Topozone. I spent a lot of time yesterday checking all three of the rivers. Here is
what I found:

Arkansas River at the CO-KS line: N38.030, W102.045; map scale 1:25000.
The 3350 ft. contour crosses the river 0.45 mile into CO.
The 3340 ft. contour crosses the river 0.9 mile into KS.
By interpolation, and assuming uniform gradient in the river bed, elevation at the
border is estimated at 3347 ft. Same location with the 1:100000 map lists actual
elevation at the border 1020 meters which converts to 3346 ft. Good agreement.

North Branch Republican River at the CO-NE line: N40.070, W102.052; 1:25000 map.
The 3340 ft. contour crosses the river 1/4 mile into CO.
The 3330 ft. contour crosses the river 1 mile into NE.
Again on the 1:25000 map this gives an estimated elevation at the border of 3338 ft.
On the 1:100000 map it comes out to 1017 meters or 3337 feet. That makes the
Republican 9 ft. lower than the Arkansas.

Arikaree River at the CO-KS kine: N39.978, W102.052; map scale 1:25000.
The 3320 contour crosses the river 1/4 mile into CO.
The 3310 contour crosses the river 3/8 mile into KS.
On the 1:25000 map this gives an estimated elevation at the border of 3316 feet.
On the 1:100000 map the 1010 meter contour crosses the river just into Ks about
0.1 mile. Estimate at the border is 1010.07 meters which eqals 3314 feet. So the
Arikaree is definitely the lowest if the maps are accurate.

When I get a chance I'll write to the US Geologic Survey to see if they will look into this.

Regarding the others who are interested in this,
"bob" mentioned using a GPS to check the elevations. Unfortunately a hand held GPS
does not give very accurate elevations. If we were loking at differences of 100 feet then
the GPS might be helpful. However, I just heard that President Clinton signed a bill
removing the selective availability from civilian use of GPS devices. This was effective
as of 8 PM EDT on May 1. This will improve position location but probably won't help
much on elevation.

When Joyce & I, together with Clark Hall, went to the CO-NE-KS tristate corner we crossed
the Aricaree and when we hit the CO-KS line we were only 1/2 mile north of the low point.
The tripoint is about 3 1/2 miles N of the low point. Now we'll have to go out there again.
Looks like another fun project !

Jack

Fred
Fred

May 3rd, 2000, 1:55 am #7

Well done Jack. Thanks!

Carol Martinez
Carol Martinez

June 15th, 2002, 4:11 am #8

The legendary Jack Parsell sent me the following email after I sent him the recent posts regarding the new lowpoint of Colorado. - John Mitchler

John

Thanks for sending the latest input on the CO low point. Also I really like the topo map
site, Topozone. I spent a lot of time yesterday checking all three of the rivers. Here is
what I found:

Arkansas River at the CO-KS line: N38.030, W102.045; map scale 1:25000.
The 3350 ft. contour crosses the river 0.45 mile into CO.
The 3340 ft. contour crosses the river 0.9 mile into KS.
By interpolation, and assuming uniform gradient in the river bed, elevation at the
border is estimated at 3347 ft. Same location with the 1:100000 map lists actual
elevation at the border 1020 meters which converts to 3346 ft. Good agreement.

North Branch Republican River at the CO-NE line: N40.070, W102.052; 1:25000 map.
The 3340 ft. contour crosses the river 1/4 mile into CO.
The 3330 ft. contour crosses the river 1 mile into NE.
Again on the 1:25000 map this gives an estimated elevation at the border of 3338 ft.
On the 1:100000 map it comes out to 1017 meters or 3337 feet. That makes the
Republican 9 ft. lower than the Arkansas.

Arikaree River at the CO-KS kine: N39.978, W102.052; map scale 1:25000.
The 3320 contour crosses the river 1/4 mile into CO.
The 3310 contour crosses the river 3/8 mile into KS.
On the 1:25000 map this gives an estimated elevation at the border of 3316 feet.
On the 1:100000 map the 1010 meter contour crosses the river just into Ks about
0.1 mile. Estimate at the border is 1010.07 meters which eqals 3314 feet. So the
Arikaree is definitely the lowest if the maps are accurate.

When I get a chance I'll write to the US Geologic Survey to see if they will look into this.

Regarding the others who are interested in this,
"bob" mentioned using a GPS to check the elevations. Unfortunately a hand held GPS
does not give very accurate elevations. If we were loking at differences of 100 feet then
the GPS might be helpful. However, I just heard that President Clinton signed a bill
removing the selective availability from civilian use of GPS devices. This was effective
as of 8 PM EDT on May 1. This will improve position location but probably won't help
much on elevation.

When Joyce & I, together with Clark Hall, went to the CO-NE-KS tristate corner we crossed
the Aricaree and when we hit the CO-KS line we were only 1/2 mile north of the low point.
The tripoint is about 3 1/2 miles N of the low point. Now we'll have to go out there again.
Looks like another fun project !

Jack
I am glad that I finally found a web site that will help me find differet places on the web, but now I will have to get a trop. map. I need to move to a lower elevation and need to find them. Please help me with this problem. I would like to find the cities that are at least 4500 to 2000 or lower in Colorado, Utah, Ariz, New Mexico, Neveda, Idaho, Wyoming,

patrick
patrick

June 16th, 2002, 1:00 am #9

Above
the low point of NC is Jesse Helms, and the previous low point of NC is the Atlantic Ocean, then how low is Jesse? (Or the corollary, How low is Hayul??)
Is there a lowness scale for politicians? Who is the lowest??