Cerro de Punta ... who has climbed it?

Cerro de Punta ... who has climbed it?

October 6th, 2006, 5:22 pm #1

The highpoint of Puerto Rico, that is. I've been thinking about this one lately. I'm going to be in DC in February and plan on knocking off the silly Fort Reno, but PR actually has a pretty cool highpoint and I'm wondering how other highpointers feel about Cerro de Punta. Have you climbed it; do you plan on climbing it?

I would be willing to bet that within my lifetime, Puerto Rico will become a state. The last citizen vote in 1993 failed by less than 2-percent. As of now, it really shouldn't considered any differently than other US territories, but I'd rather do it in the near future than possibly completing the list of 50 and then having PR become a state when I'm 85 or something.

October 13th, 2006, 1:38 pm #2

Yes, Charlie & I "climbed" Cerro de Punta.  Since we didn't trust the brakes on our rental car, and since it was possible it might rain before we came down, and since we like walking anyway, we opted NOT to drive up the extremely steep, paved road to the top.  We "hiked" up the road, past the various maintenance buildings, and up a short flight of steps to the summit.  Great views & the rain held off until much later that afternoon.

While on top, we left some of Jack's ashes.  There's a photo of me scattering his ashes in one of the newsletters (sorry, don't remember which issue).

Since the information we had about the highpoint was slightly vague about driving distances, we actually drove up a road to a neighboring peak, and hiked to the top of it before confirming that the peak we had just passed by in our car was clearly much higher.  So, perhaps we also reached the 2nd highest point of Puerto Rico!

Diane Winger

www.HighpointAdventures.com
NEW: www.Colorado-for-Free.com

October 13th, 2006, 6:44 pm #3

Cool. I've been looking around on this site, the county highpointers site and Summit Post and can only find just a few older trip reports (including Roger's). Definitely doesn't appear to be too common of a goal although that could change in a hurry if Puerto Rico becomes a state. In researching things a bit, I was surprised to find out that Congress is pretty much ready to accept the island into the US and that it's basically up to the Puerto Rican people to apply for statehood. The next vote could do the trick.

I'm taking the wife and kiddies on a cruise in the spring and San Juan is one of the ports. We're only in port for 9 hours though, so I won't be trying to race the clock. But my wife seems cool with me flying out of NYC in the winter of 2007-2008 to give it a go. Thanks for responding.