Canadian Highpoints ?

Canadian Highpoints ?

Ken Takabe
Ken Takabe

August 21st, 2001, 3:18 pm #1

Hi,

Does anyone know if there's a site dedicated to the 13 highpoints of Canada ?

I've found a couple of sites which listed the locations of the highpoints and I've come across some sites which sell a book called "Not won in a day" which looks like an autobiography of someone who's done those climbs.

However, I've yet to come across a site which lists online directions to these highpoints.

FYI, I'll be driving from Toronto to Vancouver in a couple of weeks and I'd like to hit the highpoints in Ontario, Saskatchewan and Manitoba on the way there.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks !

PJ
PJ

August 21st, 2001, 10:15 pm #2

"Not won in a Day" is a great book. Its fun to read, and its a an OK guidebook. It gets you started, but you'd need other info to really do it all. Good luck in the Northwest Territories.

Peter Anderson
Peter Anderson

August 22nd, 2001, 12:10 pm #3

Hi,

I've found a couple of sites which listed the locations of the highpoints and I've come across some sites which sell a book called "Not won in a day" which looks like an autobiography of someone who's done those climbs.

However, I've yet to come across a site which lists online directions to these highpoints.

FYI, I'll be driving from Toronto to Vancouver in a couple of weeks and I'd like to hit the highpoints in Ontario, Saskatchewan and Manitoba on the way there.

Thanks !
I second the purchase of Jack Bennett's book: a wonderful read and great information. You should have no problem doing Manitoba, Saskatchewan's hp is a rolling tableland area (is that the highest spot, no that place, wait, no ...), however Ontario's hp requires more effort (it isn't a dayhike). Get Jack's book from the HP Bookstore or another store, read it, and enjoy exploring Canada. Anyone for Mount Logan or some of the other remote Canadian hps?

adam
adam

August 22nd, 2001, 2:57 pm #4

Hi,

Thanks !
I too have been thinking about doing some CA HPs some day. I found a site with some trip reports of climbs (Mt. Logan, Mt. Fairweather, etc):

http://bivouac.com/mtn/Main.asp?rq=Menu

Since Mt. Fairweather is on the Alaska, CA border you can get partial topo's from places like topozone.com.

Ken Takabe
Ken Takabe

August 22nd, 2001, 3:36 pm #5

I second the purchase of Jack Bennett's book: a wonderful read and great information. You should have no problem doing Manitoba, Saskatchewan's hp is a rolling tableland area (is that the highest spot, no that place, wait, no ...), however Ontario's hp requires more effort (it isn't a dayhike). Get Jack's book from the HP Bookstore or another store, read it, and enjoy exploring Canada. Anyone for Mount Logan or some of the other remote Canadian hps?
Thanks for all of the advice.

I'll try to get the book before I leave and I'll be sure to start a website upon my return. It's so sad to see that there isn't even a single web site devoted to the Canadian highpoints... considering the vast number of ridiculous/useless sites out there.

Peter Anderson
Peter Anderson

August 22nd, 2001, 8:29 pm #6

I didn't think of this during my earlier post; Roger has a Canadian page at: http://americasroof.com/canada/

Nunavut HP?
Nunavut HP?

August 24th, 2001, 1:27 am #7

Hi,

Thanks !
Has anyone even climbed Nunavut's Highpoint? It's gotta be tough, at 800 ft and 85N.

Peter Anderson
Peter Anderson

August 24th, 2001, 4:06 pm #8

The source for information about ALL of the recognized Canadian provincial and territorial highpoints is Jack Bennett's book. He has included historical and route information, plus his experiences while becoming the ONLY person known to have ascended the Canadian highpoints. His sons haven't completed them to my knowledge, but only have a few of the eastern hps to finish. The book is a great source of information and the Bennett's are wonderful people!

Ken Takabe
Ken Takabe

August 24th, 2001, 4:12 pm #9

Has anyone even climbed Nunavut's Highpoint? It's gotta be tough, at 800 ft and 85N.
I'm thinking of doing that maybe next year.

To get to that highpoint, you'll have to take an airline to Restoule (which costs around $1500 Cdn). Once there, you'll have to charter a twin otter which can carry up to 10 people and equipment for a cost of around $30,000.

I'm presently looking into the highpoint for Quebec/NF which is very hard to access.

It looks like I'll have to drive to Goose Bay, NF, take an airplane to Nain and charter a boat to Hebron and walk for a week. Doh!

Steve Gruhn
Steve Gruhn

August 27th, 2001, 7:54 pm #10

I think he was there the day Nunavut separated from the Northwest Territories.