Borah Peak

Borah Peak

Dave Bobel
Dave Bobel

June 21st, 2002, 3:07 pm #1

I'm planning on climbing Borah Peak solo on July 10th. Anyone want to join me for my 37th HP? If so call me at 765-473-4534 or send e-mail to dbobel@insightbb.com

Jeffrey Cook
Jeffrey Cook

June 21st, 2002, 10:30 pm #2

I've already booked my tickets, so I'll be soloing on July 20.

I guess there's not much chance of us running into each other on the hill!

Anyone else planning to try Borah on the 20th?

Jared
Jared

June 26th, 2002, 12:40 am #3

If I can get the time off work I may be in the area around that time. If it looks like I'll be going I'll post on this site to say hi, but it's unsure at this point. Jared

Tom
Tom

July 4th, 2002, 11:25 pm #4

I'm planning on climbing Borah Peak solo on July 10th. Anyone want to join me for my 37th HP? If so call me at 765-473-4534 or send e-mail to dbobel@insightbb.com
You won't have any problem finding people to climb (hike) with you. There are usually several people at the trailhead each morning that make the hike. It really isn't much of a challange but a great workout.

John Grant
John Grant

July 7th, 2002, 5:17 pm #5

I climbed Borah on July 3. There were eight hikers to try it that day, four made the summit. It was my 24th HP. Unlike one of the responses below, I found Borah to be more than just a hike. The loose scree and exposure made it a challenging adventure. I want to stress that this is not an easy hike for the average guy. Be prepared with good boots, crampons and ice axe.

Jeffrey Cook
Jeffrey Cook

July 8th, 2002, 2:17 am #6

I was figuring on bringing my ice ax, but will crampons really be necessary? Do you happen to have any pictures of the trail worn through the snowfield?

Dan
Dan

July 8th, 2002, 3:37 am #7

I would not expect crampons to be necessary. An axe might be of use, but probably not required. I didn't take either, or regret that I didn't when I climbed Borah.

John Grant
John Grant

July 8th, 2002, 5:27 pm #8

I would rather err on the side of safety than become a statistic. When I crossed the snow bridge with my son, a park ranger at Grand Teton, we both felt that it was important to wear the crampons. There were one set of footprints crossing the bridge from the previous day, they were indented no more than 3-4 inches. The snow was soft and I postholed one time. Other than that, the crossing was uneventful, but after watching us cross on our way back, two parties decided not to cross because of lack of equipment.

Jeffrey Cook
Jeffrey Cook

July 9th, 2002, 2:29 am #9

Thanks to those above who offered their advice on the need for axe and crampons on Borah's snowfield. Unfortunately, as is often the case, different experiences and skill levels lead to answers that are totally divergent yet equally true!

Does anyone have a good picture of the snowfield? That will be the easiest way for me to judge whether I need the equipment.

Thanks!

John M
John M

July 9th, 2002, 3:32 pm #10

issue 54

lots of photos of COR and snowbridge