beer from all 50 states

beer from all 50 states

July 5th, 2007, 5:14 am #1

Ok, I know this is still a long way away, but I started tossing around the idea of celebrating that big #50. My current plan is to bring a beer from every state to the top of Hawaii, and drinking (or at least having a sip) of each on the summit. Does anybody know if it is possible to order beer though mail? Or even better, is there such a thing as a collection of beers from all 50 states?

As a side note, what are some other ways people have celebrated the completion?

July 5th, 2007, 1:24 pm #2

I live in a state where I can't order alcohol through the mail, so I've run into this before when visiting wineries, etc. You need to research your own state's laws to see if you can get delivery.

If you're looking for a recommendation from Indiana, check out the Upland Brewery (great name for highpointers too): http://www.uplandbeer.com/

-adam

July 5th, 2007, 1:38 pm #3

Ok, I know this is still a long way away, but I started tossing around the idea of celebrating that big #50. My current plan is to bring a beer from every state to the top of Hawaii, and drinking (or at least having a sip) of each on the summit. Does anybody know if it is possible to order beer though mail? Or even better, is there such a thing as a collection of beers from all 50 states?

I'm trying to picture this.  OK, so you manage to obtain 50 bottles of beer from the 50 states.  You fly to Hawaii with your heavy, breakable cargo (or do you live there??), rent a vehicle at Harpers, and drive from sea level up a bumpy road nearly 14,000' in elevation to the observatories.  Are you now going to haul 50 bottles of beer down the hill and up to the summit, or will you open all the beers by the car, pour a little from each into a film cannister (in honor of Jakk's ashes??), and just carry those over to the highpoint? 

Or, since they've been well shaken on the trip up, plus have the difference in air pressure, are you just going to open them up and enjoy the spectacle of foam spraying into the air?

So, now you have 50 opened bottles of beer.  Will you throw a party for the scientists working on the summit?  Try to drive back down the volcano with beer sloshing around the car?

Maybe I'm just not being creative enough here, but I'm thinking you may have more complicated problems than figuring out if you can order beer through the mail.

Diane Winger

www.HighpointAdventures.com
NEW: www.Colorado-for-Free.com

July 5th, 2007, 5:13 pm #4

Seeing that I carried a couple beers up Mt Massive last weekend (14,421ft) in my backpack I think I can say that it probably won't be that bad. Massive is higher than Hawaii's HP and the SE ridge route we went up didn't shake the beers too badly. There was some foaming on the summit, but it was minimal.

Photo:
http://mcfarren.info/adam/outdoor/mount ... age19.html

-adam

July 6th, 2007, 8:19 pm #5

This would make a great photo for the newsletter, although any photo of any completion would be great.

I've seen a guidebook to visiting breweries in every state. And I've visited a winery in 49 states, and hope to go to Montana soon to finish that. But I had the wine in the tasting room and not on the summit. www.allamericanwineries.com

For something less demanding than drinking 50 beers, try enjoying a beer from your home state while reading out loud the motto of all 50 states.

July 7th, 2007, 2:14 am #6

Hey Lubos-

Why don't you come to the Wisconsin Highpointers Konvention instead and tour the Point Brewery on Friday night, July 27? There will be a guided tour of the brewery, plus tasting of dozens of their different brews. You get to keep your sampling glass and will also receive a uniquely labeled bottle of beer commerating the 2007 Highpointers Convention. Good luck carrying all of that beer to the summit.

July 7th, 2007, 2:00 pm #7

This would make a great photo for the newsletter, although any photo of any completion would be great.

I've seen a guidebook to visiting breweries in every state. And I've visited a winery in 49 states, and hope to go to Montana soon to finish that. But I had the wine in the tasting room and not on the summit. www.allamericanwineries.com

For something less demanding than drinking 50 beers, try enjoying a beer from your home state while reading out loud the motto of all 50 states.
John and others,

Although there are good wineries throughout Montana, I could recommend the Mission Mountain Winery ... located in Dayton on the western shore of Flathead Lake. There are also several very good breweries in western Montana as well. I would recommend Flathead Lake Brewery in Woods Bay, also on Flathead Lake, but the eastern shore. Enjoy your trip!

July 23rd, 2007, 11:20 am #8

I'm trying to picture this.  OK, so you manage to obtain 50 bottles of beer from the 50 states.  You fly to Hawaii with your heavy, breakable cargo (or do you live there??), rent a vehicle at Harpers, and drive from sea level up a bumpy road nearly 14,000' in elevation to the observatories.  Are you now going to haul 50 bottles of beer down the hill and up to the summit, or will you open all the beers by the car, pour a little from each into a film cannister (in honor of Jakk's ashes??), and just carry those over to the highpoint? 

Or, since they've been well shaken on the trip up, plus have the difference in air pressure, are you just going to open them up and enjoy the spectacle of foam spraying into the air?

So, now you have 50 opened bottles of beer.  Will you throw a party for the scientists working on the summit?  Try to drive back down the volcano with beer sloshing around the car?

Maybe I'm just not being creative enough here, but I'm thinking you may have more complicated problems than figuring out if you can order beer through the mail.

Diane Winger

www.HighpointAdventures.com
NEW: www.Colorado-for-Free.com
Phew! I agree w/Diane - too complicated. While the hp-ers are a rather eccentric bunch, the 50-beer blitz is really way out there. After achieving a new hp, we seek out a local brew pub and celebrate with a microbrew. On completing the big 5-Oh, I think a 3-day binge on Konas in Hilo would work. Bottoms up!!! http://www.konabrewingco.com/

July 24th, 2007, 1:43 am #9

http://www.mehana.com/

their Mauna Kea Pale Ale might be appropriate for the summit!

August 2nd, 2007, 4:13 pm #10

Check out:
http://www.ramsteinbeer.com/index.html

Its brewed at the High Point Brewery in New Jersey and even uses the tower for its logo!

Unfortunately they brand the beer "Ramstein"