Arizona/Convention Reports/Comments

Arizona/Convention Reports/Comments

September 9th, 2008, 4:25 am #1

Nathan and I planned our trip to Flagstaff to give us a couple of shots at Humphreys Peak before the convention starts. Given the weather forecast for the rest of the week, that was a wise decision. Last week was beautiful...a few puffy clouds now and then, but things are going downhill fast. We hit the trail at first light just before 6 a.m. and got to the summit at 9:30. We were done with our summit photos and on our way down by 10:00, and the first clap of thunder sounded behind us about 10:15. There were still people headed up at that time and we encouraged them to punt, but some of them kept going. The storms rolled in with a vengeance about the time we got back to the Humphreys/Agassiz saddle with snow pellets and rain in addition to the lightning. It was pouring at lower elevations as we made our way back to the Snow Bowl parking lot and we were very glad to get back to the car about 12:45.

Still, the first goal of the trip was successfully checked off. Now we have a day to wander up to the Grand Canyon before the convention starts in earnest. Arizona makes 42 highpoints for me, 40 for Nathan. Full trip report to follow, of course! We'll have to talk to Jean about our pins...

September 9th, 2008, 3:33 pm #2

Congrats Alan and Nathan! Glad you were able to beat the weather.

September 13th, 2008, 4:45 am #3

Nathan and I planned our trip to Flagstaff to give us a couple of shots at Humphreys Peak before the convention starts. Given the weather forecast for the rest of the week, that was a wise decision. Last week was beautiful...a few puffy clouds now and then, but things are going downhill fast. We hit the trail at first light just before 6 a.m. and got to the summit at 9:30. We were done with our summit photos and on our way down by 10:00, and the first clap of thunder sounded behind us about 10:15. There were still people headed up at that time and we encouraged them to punt, but some of them kept going. The storms rolled in with a vengeance about the time we got back to the Humphreys/Agassiz saddle with snow pellets and rain in addition to the lightning. It was pouring at lower elevations as we made our way back to the Snow Bowl parking lot and we were very glad to get back to the car about 12:45.

Still, the first goal of the trip was successfully checked off. Now we have a day to wander up to the Grand Canyon before the convention starts in earnest. Arizona makes 42 highpoints for me, 40 for Nathan. Full trip report to follow, of course! We'll have to talk to Jean about our pins...
Enquiring minds who didn't make it to Flagstaff want to know.

Congrats on your 40 pins Alan. Jealous that you guys beat us to it--we just lack one western hp each. We repeated Guadalupe & Britton Hill though this summer.

September 13th, 2008, 5:27 am #4

The convention attendees voted for Mississippi in 2010. Convention will be in October to avoid the heat and little details like Gulf hurricanes.

September 14th, 2008, 12:54 am #5

As Roger is traveling on the road, I'm going to pass on to y'all the link to his slide show of the Knovention. As he says... more to come.

Great work Roger ole Buddy!!!

Craig "The Membership Guy" Noland

http://flickr.com/photos/americasroof/s ... 264623831/

September 15th, 2008, 3:38 pm #6

The illustrated trip report for our hike up Humphreys Peak is on my web site. I haven't quite finished polishing the summit panorama, so if the link still says "under construction" for that sub-page, please come back in a week or so and look again.

September 18th, 2008, 12:43 pm #7

I finished tweaking the summit panorama and added it to the trip report. There are two versions, the Java applet viewer version that comes up when you first click the panorama link and a larger and higher-resolution Quicktime VR .mov file linked to at the bottom of the panorama page.

You can see why we didn't linger long on the summit...that cloud overhead wasn't there at all at 9:00 a.m., had just started puffing up when we got to the summit at 9:30 and started thundering behind us on our way down by 10:15 a.m. It was another good object lesson in how quickly conditions can change in the mountains.

September 28th, 2008, 2:53 am #8

The illustrated trip report for our hike up Humphreys Peak is on my web site. I haven't quite finished polishing the summit panorama, so if the link still says "under construction" for that sub-page, please come back in a week or so and look again.
I uploaded the GPS track from my trusty old Garmin GPS II Plus and overlaid it onto the 7.5-minute USGS Humphreys Peak quad using USA Photomaps, a very useful (but sometimes difficult to use) program from Doug Cox. The full image is pretty big, about 1.4 meg, but if you want to grab a copy for reference, it's here on my web site.

October 24th, 2008, 1:23 pm #9

One of the side trips we made during our trip out to Flagstaff for the Convention was a ways east to the Petrified Forest National Monument. Fascinating place, and we were treated to thunderstorm clouds as backdrops for many of the vistas. The link above points to my web slide show of selected shots from our meandering through the area.