Anybody done Marcy and Kahtadin...

Anybody done Marcy and Kahtadin...

Kevin Baker
Kevin Baker

December 17th, 2001, 4:20 am #1

in the same trip? My wife and I have set a very lofty goal of reaching 9 northeast highpoints in a twelve day period. We plan on taking the cheaters route and driving up Mt Washington, meaning the only two I am worried about are Marcy and Kahtadin. We will probably do Mansfield the day after we do Marcy, but will take the easier route. I would think Marcy and Kahtadin will be about three days apart. Any suggestions on what order to approach these? Our current order of attempting the HP's are the following after flying in to Philly:

DE,NJ,CT,MA,NY,VT,ME,NH, and RI

Chris
Chris

December 17th, 2001, 9:05 pm #2

First of all, when is this trip planned? If not in summer, you'd have to hike up Washington, so I'll assume it's next summer. Not counting sleeping time, assuming you are relatively quick hikers, and that you have no weather problems...

Philly to DE-30 min.

DE-NJ 3 hrs. (1/2 hr. on summit)

NJ-CT 5 hrs. (maybe 2-3 hrs hiking on Frissell depending which way you go)

CT-MA 1 1/2 hrs. (1/2 hr on the mountain)

MA-NY 4 hrs. (Marcy, took me 8 1/2, usually takes longer
If you're sleeping over here, I'd sugest Adirondak Loj, not exactly 5 star hotel, but you get an early start.

NY-VT 2-3 hrs. (3 hrs on the mountain)

VT-ME 8 hrs. (hike up Katahdin takes 10 hrs on a good day. If you have the time, I highly recommend the Knife Edge--an experience you'll never forget!)

ME-base of Mt. W 6 hrs. (40 min each way, plus 1/2 hour on summit)

NH-RI 5 hrs. (15 min. on Jerimoth Hill)

Back to Philly, PA--6 hrs.

These times are my best estimates, and may be off by an hour or two. You can work with this schedule depending on how much you're driving per day. I hoope this helped--and have fun climbing this wonderful group of highpoints!

Kevin Baker
Kevin Baker

December 17th, 2001, 9:35 pm #3

We will be doing the trip in the middle of July, so we should be able to drive up Washington. I don't think I would like hiking the Knife Edge, because I am afraid of heights! We plan on taking the longer Hunt Trail on the AT. The order of HP's is the same order I thought was best. Thanks for the detailed info!

David Metsky
David Metsky

December 17th, 2001, 10:24 pm #4

If possible, plan your Katahdin trip to fall on a weekday. Unless you have reservations inside the park, you need to queue up at the gate to get in. Once they have let in a pre-determined number of cars headed to each area (Roaring Brook and Abol Bridge) they close the gate.

It would be a shame to get up there and not be allowed in the park. On busy weekends people talk about getting to the gate at 4:00 and being 15th in line. If you arrive at 7:00 you may be shut out. Weekdays are much less crowded.

-dave-

December 17th, 2001, 10:54 pm #5

in the same trip? My wife and I have set a very lofty goal of reaching 9 northeast highpoints in a twelve day period. We plan on taking the cheaters route and driving up Mt Washington, meaning the only two I am worried about are Marcy and Kahtadin. We will probably do Mansfield the day after we do Marcy, but will take the easier route. I would think Marcy and Kahtadin will be about three days apart. Any suggestions on what order to approach these? Our current order of attempting the HP's are the following after flying in to Philly:

If you're planning on the actual summit of Jerimoth Hill, keep in mind that the only midsummer open access date next year is Saturday, 7/6/2002. PLEASE respect the property owner's wishes so we can continue to have organized open dates.

We're planning on much the same itinerary, but starting in Boston and doing RI/NJ/CT/MA/NY/VT/NH/ME and back to Boston. We figure to do RI/NJ on 7/6, CT/MA on 7/7, do an overnight to bag NY on 7/8-9, VT 7/10, NH 7/11, and ME 7/12, or something like that. The only disadvantage may be trying to bag ME on a Saturday if our schedule slips a day, so I may re-think and do VT/ME/NH to make sure we hit Katahdin on a weekday.

Sounds like a plan, anyway...

Alan Ritter
http://www.mtritter.org

Chris
Chris

December 17th, 2001, 10:57 pm #6

If possible, plan your Katahdin trip to fall on a weekday. Unless you have reservations inside the park, you need to queue up at the gate to get in. Once they have let in a pre-determined number of cars headed to each area (Roaring Brook and Abol Bridge) they close the gate.

It would be a shame to get up there and not be allowed in the park. On busy weekends people talk about getting to the gate at 4:00 and being 15th in line. If you arrive at 7:00 you may be shut out. Weekdays are much less crowded.

-dave-
I climbed Baxter on Aug. 2, a spectacular cloudless day. It was also a Thursday. We arrived around 3:30 AM at the park gates, and lo and behold--we were the first ones there!

A note on getting to the park from Millinocket: just stay on the main route through the center of town, until you spot signs for the park. Just follow these; even though you won't see any street signs, it's the right road.

Kevin Baker
Kevin Baker

December 18th, 2001, 3:45 pm #7

If you're planning on the actual summit of Jerimoth Hill, keep in mind that the only midsummer open access date next year is Saturday, 7/6/2002. PLEASE respect the property owner's wishes so we can continue to have organized open dates.

We're planning on much the same itinerary, but starting in Boston and doing RI/NJ/CT/MA/NY/VT/NH/ME and back to Boston. We figure to do RI/NJ on 7/6, CT/MA on 7/7, do an overnight to bag NY on 7/8-9, VT 7/10, NH 7/11, and ME 7/12, or something like that. The only disadvantage may be trying to bag ME on a Saturday if our schedule slips a day, so I may re-think and do VT/ME/NH to make sure we hit Katahdin on a weekday.

Sounds like a plan, anyway...

Alan Ritter
http://www.mtritter.org
We will have to settle for the sign at Jerimoth Hill, because my work schedule will not allow me to be there on the July open access date. Maybe we will run across each other at some of the HP's, Alan. The tentative dates for us are July 9-18.

Peter Anderson
Peter Anderson

December 18th, 2001, 5:30 pm #8

... VT - ME - NH {DE,NJ,CT,MA,NY,VT,ME,NH, and RI} and not VT - NH - ME? As you travel from northern VT to northern ME, if driving US 2 (from my recollections), you pass very near Mount Washington. Your plan has you pass this area and then come back to it. During summer, the North Conway-Conway area is very busy. If you want to miss this "tourist trap," visiting Mount Washington from the north will bypass the congestion of the North Conway-Conway area. A thought.

Kevin Baker
Kevin Baker

December 19th, 2001, 1:27 am #9

Peter:

My original inclination for doing Kahtadin before Washington was that we would know whether or not we could bite off hiking up Marcy, Kahtadin, and Washington in the same trip. We are from KC and only do one or two serious hikes per year, so I am worried about fatigue. If we do Kahtadin first, we will know whether or not our bodies can handle Washington as well. Thanks for the advice!

Jack
Jack

December 21st, 2001, 1:30 am #10

I did a trip similar to yours last fall. The planned trip went in this sequence: CT, MA, NY, VT, NH, RI, NJ, DE. What actually happened was that we took an extra day in Lake Placid and cut out VT & NH so in 8 days we actually achived:

CT, MA, NY, RI, NJ

I would think that after VT, you should proceed directly to Mt Washington (NH), then to ME. That lets you leave the state of Maine directly down I-95, thru Boston, Providence and on to the RI HP.

Also, you may want to schedule the RI (open date) at the beginning of the trip so as to allow a more flexable schedule for the rest of the trip. In that case this order might work:

RI, ME, NH, VT, NY, NJ, DE.

You could also drop NJ &/or DE if time was tight (is it ever not?) w/o missing any "hikes". It also gives you a little extra time between the 2 full day hikes for your bodies to recover.