2014 Year-End Highpointing Accomplishments

2014 Year-End Highpointing Accomplishments

November 28th, 2014, 8:27 am #1

HaHA! All (four) of you assumed i'd only remember to start this thread around December 15th, but this year i'm on it early.

Tell us what 2014 highpoints you reached and how, or which ones you will do in the next 34 days, along with your plans/dreams for 2015. As long as there are a few of us old fogeys and some crickets, we want to know!

I'll go first. I summitted my #45 this year, the lofty pinnacle of Black Mesa, OK. I had business in Louisville and lived in Tucson. Only to a highpointer does that mean a car trip instead of a flight. It's not like i'd ever have any better itinerary for including the panhandle of Oklahoma. The Merc was closed when i was there, but the b&b there was very nice, comfy, and friendly, the hike was actually pretty kewl (especially if you go past the highpoint to the edge of the mesa), and it felt good to make some actual progress towards #50. That's the only state highpoint i did this year, but i did climb Mt. Mcloughlin, OR which i'm pretty sure is a county highpoint. I also moved to San Francisco and am doing lots of hiking around here and in the Sierra.

For 2015 who knows. I may do half of the Continental Divide Trail. There is a tiny, minute chance i'll decide soon to make a go at Denali in June. But most likely at this point 49 will be my limit. We'll see. I still have MT, WV, MN, and FL to go. All very out of the way.

How about you?

p.s. One of these days we'll get spellcheck to accept "highpointing" as a word...

Happy Thanksgiving, Hannukah, Christmas, and whatever other holidays matter to you, and an early Happy Highpointing New Year 2015.

-markv

November 28th, 2014, 5:38 pm #2

Nice job grabbing #45, other Mark. 3 out of remaining 5 will fall easily enough. You're getting close!

Still at 49 for me but am deep into planning for Denali with American Alpine Institue from June 7-27. Already got the trip and flight booked and have been training for three months already. Feeling "Rocky" strong.

Did a few day hikes in Vermont this year but nothing too hardcore. Left finishing the New England Highest Hundred for another year. Focused mostly on family stuff in 2014.

Perhaps my greatest accomplishment for the year was getting myself thrown off SummitPost by SCOTT PATTERSON after trolling him pretty bad.

Happy Holidays to all!

Except Scott.

November 29th, 2014, 1:57 pm #3

HaHA! All (four) of you assumed i'd only remember to start this thread around December 15th, but this year i'm on it early.

Tell us what 2014 highpoints you reached and how, or which ones you will do in the next 34 days, along with your plans/dreams for 2015. As long as there are a few of us old fogeys and some crickets, we want to know!

I'll go first. I summitted my #45 this year, the lofty pinnacle of Black Mesa, OK. I had business in Louisville and lived in Tucson. Only to a highpointer does that mean a car trip instead of a flight. It's not like i'd ever have any better itinerary for including the panhandle of Oklahoma. The Merc was closed when i was there, but the b&b there was very nice, comfy, and friendly, the hike was actually pretty kewl (especially if you go past the highpoint to the edge of the mesa), and it felt good to make some actual progress towards #50. That's the only state highpoint i did this year, but i did climb Mt. Mcloughlin, OR which i'm pretty sure is a county highpoint. I also moved to San Francisco and am doing lots of hiking around here and in the Sierra.

For 2015 who knows. I may do half of the Continental Divide Trail. There is a tiny, minute chance i'll decide soon to make a go at Denali in June. But most likely at this point 49 will be my limit. We'll see. I still have MT, WV, MN, and FL to go. All very out of the way.

How about you?

p.s. One of these days we'll get spellcheck to accept "highpointing" as a word...

Happy Thanksgiving, Hannukah, Christmas, and whatever other holidays matter to you, and an early Happy Highpointing New Year 2015.

-markv
I've been at 36 for the 14th year in a row, but I still plan to finish. We have Denali, Mt Hood and a whole lot of Midwestern high points left.

My wife and I are just starting to do serious hiking trips again as the kids get older. We did Telescope Peak from Shorty's Well in Death Valley last month. It's the kind of hike a highpointer would love. Start at almost the lowest point in North America--250 feet below sea level--and hike to over 11,000 feet and back in the same day. A true nut would start at Badwater, which is across the Valley and 30 ft lower, but we didn't want to add five miles of hiking on salt flats to the trip.

We've done a long day hike that in the fall the last few years. We did the Grand Canyon rim to rim to rim (twice) and Cactus to the Clouds in 2011-2013. I think I can sell my wife on a trip to Arkansas this winter-spring to run the 20 mile trail on Magazine Mountain. That would be a good way to finally get back to high pointing. Has anyone done that trail?

December 1st, 2014, 12:31 am #4

How about you?

-markv
Mark, I'm keeping pace with you. Summitted Kings Peak, Utah on my fourth attempt. This time, we picked a very good weather window in August. A few afternoon showers at our base camp (11,200' just below Gunsight Pass) and a beautiful day for the summit. We'd have been stormed off one day later...big t-storm blew up over the area as we hiked out but we were in the car and driving away, so no problems.

That leaves AK, OR, MT, WY and NV for me. Plans for 2015 are to do Hood in May. Looking ahead, I hope to sandwich the 2016 MT Konvention with MT and WY, making it a month-long trip, more or less. Then decide whether to make one attempt at Denali in 2017 or call it good at 49 (and a 48 list finish) on Boundary Peak. Whichever way I go, Boundary will be my finish because there are some folks, not least of whom is my son, Nathan, whom I want around for the final peak.

Looking forward to seeing everyone at the IA Konvention next summer...

December 4th, 2014, 8:43 am #5

Maybe we should rename this the Elderly Shooting for Denali Forum???

Sounds great everyone. It's hard to believe it was some 13 years ago i found this forum, and that you are all still checking it. I fully expect to run into each of you on one of these mountains sometime in the future.

December 5th, 2014, 1:30 pm #6

Looks like it's been just about exactly 13 years for me as well. The first "Mark S" post I could find was in February, 2002 ... I can actually remember when Mohamed Elozy suggested this forum to me on one of the Northeast boards.

In one of my early posts, I make reference to having 11 HPs. Ah, so many good mountains were in front of me at the time. This forum has been along for the whole ride and I haven't been kicked off once ... even though roger did once tell me "sign the damn waiver or don't go" regarding Kentcuky.

December 14th, 2014, 3:43 pm #7

How about you?

-markv
I hope to do Mauna Kea in late March and continue my assault on Wisconsin county highpoints. Contemplating the Iowa Konvention. Good luck to all on their plans. Especially Catamount on Denali. Maybe Summitpost will allow you back in if you summit that one....and behave yourself!!

December 14th, 2014, 6:09 pm #8

I'm really excited for you on Mauna Kea. It's a great hike from the Visitor's Center if you decide to take the trail. Looking forward to hearing about it.

Don't look for me back on SP. It's really over this time. Couldn't have scripted a better ending to my time there. Oh wait, I did script it.

If I summit Denali, I will be posting my trip report on CascadeClimbers. Opened an account there this week and have been quietly posting some pics from my Northwest travels. Uber-psyched about the trip. Been posting about my training and gear acquisitions in the "Members Only" Dungeon section of MountainsNStuff.

December 16th, 2014, 7:04 am #9

I hope to do Mauna Kea in late March and continue my assault on Wisconsin county highpoints. Contemplating the Iowa Konvention. Good luck to all on their plans. Especially Catamount on Denali. Maybe Summitpost will allow you back in if you summit that one....and behave yourself!!
Dang it, now i'm finding myself up nights reading about Denali...

December 18th, 2014, 5:53 am #10

I've been at 36 for the 14th year in a row, but I still plan to finish. We have Denali, Mt Hood and a whole lot of Midwestern high points left.

My wife and I are just starting to do serious hiking trips again as the kids get older. We did Telescope Peak from Shorty's Well in Death Valley last month. It's the kind of hike a highpointer would love. Start at almost the lowest point in North America--250 feet below sea level--and hike to over 11,000 feet and back in the same day. A true nut would start at Badwater, which is across the Valley and 30 ft lower, but we didn't want to add five miles of hiking on salt flats to the trip.

We've done a long day hike that in the fall the last few years. We did the Grand Canyon rim to rim to rim (twice) and Cactus to the Clouds in 2011-2013. I think I can sell my wife on a trip to Arkansas this winter-spring to run the 20 mile trail on Magazine Mountain. That would be a good way to finally get back to high pointing. Has anyone done that trail?
Like your style, PJ. I can't say i've done the whole 20-mile on Magazine, but i did hook up with it from a spur trailhead about 5 miles from the summit to do part of your route. It's nothing to write home about, but it's a hike, it feels wild-ish, and definitely worthwhile. If you do more, i'd be interested to hear about your route.

In the internet age, honing in on the simplest route is very attainable, so at least for me it's interesting to hear about people going for a longer or different route.