2011 Obituaries

January 31st, 2011, 5:47 pm #2

Although Mr. LaLanne was not noted as a mountaineer or backcountry enthusiast, his commitment to fitness and nutrition helped him live a long and productive life and inspired many people to engage in more active pursuits like hiking and mountaineering. Being in great physical condition is mandatory for climbing big mountain peaks. One of the readers who commented on this article wrote, "Great inspiration to me. He started me hiking and half a century later I'm still loving mountaineering."

Click here or here to read the article.

February 28th, 2011, 8:11 pm #3

While he is not associated with mountaineering, he lived a long, adventurous life, the kind of life that I and other Highpointers aspire to live. In the article he is quoted, "I was never actually looking for adventure," he once said. "It just came to me." In addition to his service for the U.S. Army from 1917 to 1920, he worked in international shipping, and while on a trip to the Philippines in 1941 he was captured by the Japanese and spent more than three years in prison camps.

For more information about the remarkable life of Mr. Buckles, please read the following:

http://townhall.com/news/us/2011/02/28/ ... 110_in_wva

September 23rd, 2011, 6:35 am #4

ROME - Walter Bonatti, one of the world's most accomplished mountaineers and the youngest member of the Italian team that in 1954 made a first ascent of K2, the world's second-highest mountain, died on Sept. 13 at age 81. According to Sports Illustrated, controversy surrounded the excursion after Bonatti, who was 24 during the attempt, did not reach the summit, claiming that the two lead climbers moved camp and left him behind to prevent him from upstaging them. Bonatti attempted many dangerous expeditions by himself, creating new paths. The southwest pillar of the Petit Dru mountain in the Alps was nicknamed the Bonatti Pillar after his 1955 trek up the difficult new route. In 1965 he became the first person to stage a solo winter ascent of the Matterhorn's north face. He retired from climbing at 35 to become a photojournalist.