2011 Highpointing Plans

2011 Highpointing Plans

March 5th, 2011, 3:49 am #1

Ok, I'll start the "what are we going to do this year" discussion...

1. Attend the Konvention in OH. (repeat the OH HP, of course)

2. Attempt Mt. Rainier, late July. Going with a buddy from the BSA climbing training staff here in MO, booked our trip with International Mountain Guides last fall, so we're set. Working on physical conditioning and starting my sun dance early.

...that'll be about it for me...

March 5th, 2011, 2:23 pm #2

Leaving for Oregon on Thursday ... hoping for a summit attempt of Hood next weekend if weather and avy conditions cooperate. If not, I'll hit the slopes for a couple of days and chill.

Looking at a big 3-week western trip in July 2012 where I hope to finish the lower 48; so if I don't get Hood this time, it'll still be there next year.

March 7th, 2011, 7:53 am #3

2. Attempt Mt. Rainier, late July. Going with a buddy from the BSA climbing training staff here in MO, booked our trip with International Mountain Guides last fall, so we're set. Working on physical conditioning and starting my sun dance early.

Things are up in the air, but i'm very eager to get Granite done so that Denali is the only technical one i'll have left. It's been a fairly low-snow year, so it might be a better year for the SW Couloir than the past couple of years have been. Anyone interested in late season? (mid-late August through September)

After a bad experience on Gannett i swore off internet hiking partners, but in grizz country i wouldn't mind having a group.

Other than that, there's a chance i could knock off Boundary while i'm in CA in July. Holding steady at 39 HPs...

March 10th, 2011, 3:18 pm #4

Well, I've already had one failure on Mt Washington in January.

I'll be on Rainier for a Denali Prep class in May. If I don't summit then I'll probably go back in August.

Half looking at doing Gannett or Granite this year also, but need a team / partner.

And of course the OH convention.

March 12th, 2011, 11:46 am #5

Plan Mt Jefferson and South Sister in May, Mt Olympus in June. May get up to NE in fall and do NJ and some others.

March 15th, 2011, 1:14 am #6

Leaving for Oregon on Thursday ... hoping for a summit attempt of Hood next weekend if weather and avy conditions cooperate. If not, I'll hit the slopes for a couple of days and chill.

Looking at a big 3-week western trip in July 2012 where I hope to finish the lower 48; so if I don't get Hood this time, it'll still be there next year.
So in a nutshell, weather and avy conditions did NOT cooperate this past weekend on Hood so my climbing trip morphed into a ski trip. I had a fun time at two different ski resorts on Hood ... Timberline on Friday, Mount Hood Meadows on Saturday. Tons of snow. Headed up to Washington and did the Mount Saint Helens thing on Sunday. Great and relaxing trip.

Timberline Mountain Guides is a cool operation. I talked to the guide I was scheduled to climb with several times over two days before we both reached the same conclusion ... avalanche conditions were a real concern in addition to the snowy weekend forecast. They gave me a full refund without hesitation even though I cancelled inside the general 7-day window.

Beyond that, I'm already rethinking my above-stated 3-week trip in 2012 and would love to spend 7-10 days JUST in the Pac NW. Hood (unguided) and Rainier (guided) would make a great combo in the early summer. Really enjoyed Oregon and Washington. Looking forward to going back.

March 15th, 2011, 11:41 am #7

We are looking forward to the 2012 Highpointers Konvention in Oregon. My 2011 plans include attending my niece's high school graduation in Plattsburgh, NY and then driving over to Katahdin and climbing it for #47. We also have secured an overnight permit to climb Mount Whitney via the Mountaineer's Route in August for #48.

Sorry to hear about the dangerous snow conditions for your Hood attempt, but skiing sounds great. Keep Klimbin'. If you want to do a repeat of Katahdin with us let me know.

March 18th, 2011, 6:17 pm #8

So in a nutshell, weather and avy conditions did NOT cooperate this past weekend on Hood so my climbing trip morphed into a ski trip. I had a fun time at two different ski resorts on Hood ... Timberline on Friday, Mount Hood Meadows on Saturday. Tons of snow. Headed up to Washington and did the Mount Saint Helens thing on Sunday. Great and relaxing trip.

Timberline Mountain Guides is a cool operation. I talked to the guide I was scheduled to climb with several times over two days before we both reached the same conclusion ... avalanche conditions were a real concern in addition to the snowy weekend forecast. They gave me a full refund without hesitation even though I cancelled inside the general 7-day window.

Beyond that, I'm already rethinking my above-stated 3-week trip in 2012 and would love to spend 7-10 days JUST in the Pac NW. Hood (unguided) and Rainier (guided) would make a great combo in the early summer. Really enjoyed Oregon and Washington. Looking forward to going back.
My first day skiing at Hood, I found out about an avalanche that had happened the previous night in the Clark/Heather Canyon area on the southeast part of the mountain. I had no idea, however, that this thing was apparently a monster ... one of the local TV stations called it a once every 10-20 years event. Started at 9,000 feet and ran approximately 2.5 miles. Fortunately, it happened in the wee hours of the morning and no one was hurt.

Here is some good blog coverage with pictures from the Mount Hood Meadows website:

http://www.skihood.com/Community-and-Ne ... -Avalanche