2011 Annual Highpoints accomplishments and 2012 dreams

2011 Annual Highpoints accomplishments and 2012 dreams

December 24th, 2011, 7:48 am #1

This place has gotten so quiet, i wonder if i didn't start this thread each year, would ANYone?

Anyway, in 2011 i actually added some highpoints after being 0 for 2010. On a business trip in early June i got away to visit Mt. Arvon, MI and Timms Hill, WI. I would re-emphasize to stop by the L'anse visitors center before going to Mt. Arvon. The logging roads change a lot. I tried finding it on my own first, but had no luck. After chatting with the lady at the visitors center, i had no problem. Both of these modest highpoints made for lovely "majority prominence" short walks of a couple of miles.

In late July, i bagged #42 by climbing Boundary Peak just ahead of some incoming weather. Maybe the clouds made it prettier, but i was surprisingly impressed by how beautiful the hike and views were. This means i now only have left: MT, OK, MN, WV, TN, GA, FL, and.....the big one. Anyone planning Denali for 2013?

Aside from state highpoints, i also added a significant county highpoint by climbing Mt. Shasta just after Boundary. I'd always wanted to climb that, and after 10 days at a festival in Mammoth Lakes (~8000') and climbing Boundary, i figured i should take advantage of the acclimation and try a one-day climb of Shasta. It worked out well that way. I'm normally slow and out of shape, but having that acclimation advantage meant i was hiking past everyone without any great effort, and i'm nearly certain i was the only dayclimber to summit that day.

For 2012 i have no definite plans. I'm toying with doing a repeat thru-hike of the PCT, and if that happens then i probably won't add any highpoints. But if not, who knows...?

To each of you on this venerable, if perhaps past its prime, forum: Merry Christmas and all the other holidays too. Or i suppose on here i should say Merry Kristmas, Happy Khannukah, Happy Kwanza, and Keep Klimbin'

December 24th, 2011, 9:46 am #2

Well, you were kind of late starting the thread this year, other Mark, and I actually thought about starting it myself. But you can't wreck good traditions. Since I know you usually start these things in the middle of the night, I had a forum alarm set up to wake me as soon as you posted so that I could be the first to respond.

Anyway, for the second year in a row, my trip out west ended with a non-attempt. In 2010, a family emergency ended my Gannett attempt before it started and in 2011, avalanche and weather conditions on Hood were non-cooperative. Still at 45.

Big plans for 2012. We'll see how it works out. After 21 years, I'm retiring from the NYSP in June and taking the summer off to do some traveling before looking for a new job in the Fall. With that in mind, I'm heading to the Pacific Northwest in the HOPES of bagging 4 of my last 5 highpoints. Already got most of it planned out/booked. Starting with a solo attempt of Hood via the South side, then I'm heading to Rainier for a guided attempt with IMG, and then to Gannett and Granite for guided attempts with JHMG.

Looking forward to hearing from everyone else. And Merry Christmas to all.

December 24th, 2011, 12:17 pm #3

This place has gotten so quiet, i wonder if i didn't start this thread each year, would ANYone?

Anyway, in 2011 i actually added some highpoints after being 0 for 2010. On a business trip in early June i got away to visit Mt. Arvon, MI and Timms Hill, WI. I would re-emphasize to stop by the L'anse visitors center before going to Mt. Arvon. The logging roads change a lot. I tried finding it on my own first, but had no luck. After chatting with the lady at the visitors center, i had no problem. Both of these modest highpoints made for lovely "majority prominence" short walks of a couple of miles.

In late July, i bagged #42 by climbing Boundary Peak just ahead of some incoming weather. Maybe the clouds made it prettier, but i was surprisingly impressed by how beautiful the hike and views were. This means i now only have left: MT, OK, MN, WV, TN, GA, FL, and.....the big one. Anyone planning Denali for 2013?

Aside from state highpoints, i also added a significant county highpoint by climbing Mt. Shasta just after Boundary. I'd always wanted to climb that, and after 10 days at a festival in Mammoth Lakes (~8000') and climbing Boundary, i figured i should take advantage of the acclimation and try a one-day climb of Shasta. It worked out well that way. I'm normally slow and out of shape, but having that acclimation advantage meant i was hiking past everyone without any great effort, and i'm nearly certain i was the only dayclimber to summit that day.

For 2012 i have no definite plans. I'm toying with doing a repeat thru-hike of the PCT, and if that happens then i probably won't add any highpoints. But if not, who knows...?

To each of you on this venerable, if perhaps past its prime, forum: Merry Christmas and all the other holidays too. Or i suppose on here i should say Merry Kristmas, Happy Khannukah, Happy Kwanza, and Keep Klimbin'

I'm not sure how it happened but I started the year needing state highpoints on the opposite ends of the country...Maine and California. Climbed Katahdin on June 28 via the Abol Slide Trail. Met many interesting people including a man who had climbed Katahdin for the 46th time. A clear day with great views. The black flies were brutal. In August we flew to Vegas and climbed Telescope Peak in Death Valley. Camped at Mahogany Flats and hiked to the summit with friend Ed and niece Megan as a warm-up climb for Mount Whitney Mountaineer's Route. Pleasant day with great views of Badwater and Mount Whitney. We had the mountain to ourselves. 74 degrees driving back down service road and 114 degrees in Stovepipe Wells just a few miles away. We then spent a day exploring Lone Pine and the Alabama Hills and then climbed Mount Whitney via the Mountaineer's Route. Hiked up to Iceberg Lake and slept under the stars. Had to break ice on lake in the morning to get water for coffee. Classic scramble up the chute and to the summit. Climbed with Tracy Foutz from Henderson Nevada, Ed, and Megan. Tracy had climbed Whitney 38 years earlier at 11 years old and Whitney was my 48th United States Highpoint. Tracy was pictured in the last A to Z. Great way to finish my quest. Here is a link to photos of our Whitney climb:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 49b2029531

2012 plans include attending the Konvention in Oregon and joining Bob Bolton on some county highpoints and also climbing Mount Saint Helens. I am looking forward to meeting numerous Highpointers I have read about in the newsletter or on these forums.

It has been a few years since I have gone canoeing in the Boundary Waters and Quetico (Highpointing got in the way). My wife and I hope to do a week long canoe trip in July or August with friends.

Future plans include Hawaii, Denali(??), Canadian Province highpoints, county highpoints with some prominence, and more canoe trips to the Boundary Waters.

Keep Klimbin'.

December 25th, 2011, 9:06 pm #4

A buddy from St. Louis asked in September 2010 if I were interested in climbing Mt. Rainier in 2011. Well, duh! So we signed up with International Mountain Guides and both made it successfully to the top of Washington State in July. We picked a beautiful weather window and were treated to a spectacular sunrise at about 14,000' on Rainier, hopping over the crater rim a little later at 6:09 a.m. before meandering across the crater and up to the summit, proper, shortly thereafter. Highpoint #43 for me.

Next summer, Mt. Hood is on the "to-do" list since the Konvention will be out there. Looking forward to that one, too...hope the weather cooperates as well as it did on Rainier!

One of these years, I'll actually retire and be able to take several weeks that summer and knock off most of the remaining six (after Hood): UI, ID, MT, WY, NV and (eventually) AK.

January 1st, 2012, 3:18 am #5

Hey Mark, I always look forward to you posting this at the end of the year. It's a chance to review and reboot. This Forum certainly had a heyday of activity back in the 90's and until a few years ago. It was a great place to share info with other Highpointers but I suppose email, Facebook and Google searches etc. might have overshadowed this site. Out of habit though I still check in almost everyday.

As for Did This: I wandered around This past year revisiting 18 states and Did a total of 29 repeats from GA to MN. This brings my total of standing on a state highpoint to 291.

As for Hope to do That: I Hope to attend the OR Konvention and repeat a few more states in the NE, Midwest and Southern Regions along with 2 remaining counties in VT. All That would put me at over 300 state summits with at least 4 repeats in 3 Regions, another state county completion and well over 350,000 miles on my 1998 Jeep (CynthiaRose).

Happy New Year to All. Happy Trails & Safe Climbs
Stony

January 4th, 2012, 1:10 am #6

I'm not sure how it happened but I started the year needing state highpoints on the opposite ends of the country...Maine and California. Climbed Katahdin on June 28 via the Abol Slide Trail. Met many interesting people including a man who had climbed Katahdin for the 46th time. A clear day with great views. The black flies were brutal. In August we flew to Vegas and climbed Telescope Peak in Death Valley. Camped at Mahogany Flats and hiked to the summit with friend Ed and niece Megan as a warm-up climb for Mount Whitney Mountaineer's Route. Pleasant day with great views of Badwater and Mount Whitney. We had the mountain to ourselves. 74 degrees driving back down service road and 114 degrees in Stovepipe Wells just a few miles away. We then spent a day exploring Lone Pine and the Alabama Hills and then climbed Mount Whitney via the Mountaineer's Route. Hiked up to Iceberg Lake and slept under the stars. Had to break ice on lake in the morning to get water for coffee. Classic scramble up the chute and to the summit. Climbed with Tracy Foutz from Henderson Nevada, Ed, and Megan. Tracy had climbed Whitney 38 years earlier at 11 years old and Whitney was my 48th United States Highpoint. Tracy was pictured in the last A to Z. Great way to finish my quest. Here is a link to photos of our Whitney climb:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 49b2029531

2012 plans include attending the Konvention in Oregon and joining Bob Bolton on some county highpoints and also climbing Mount Saint Helens. I am looking forward to meeting numerous Highpointers I have read about in the newsletter or on these forums.

It has been a few years since I have gone canoeing in the Boundary Waters and Quetico (Highpointing got in the way). My wife and I hope to do a week long canoe trip in July or August with friends.

Future plans include Hawaii, Denali(??), Canadian Province highpoints, county highpoints with some prominence, and more canoe trips to the Boundary Waters.

Keep Klimbin'.
I'd also like to hike Helens before the OR-12 convention. Rick Craycraft and I were blown off this peak in early October by gale winds at 6,000'. Rick may plan a group climb.

There's a couple national park points I still need here in the USA, plus I want to continue progress on the city highpoints and former state highpoints (anyone care to climb Fremont in WY and South Kings in UT?).

I also have a train ticket to use before Labor Day on the Durango-Silverton line which gives access to the Chicago Basin in southwest Colorado (Fourteeners).

No fractured femurs allowed this year . . .

Happy 2012!
- John M.

January 19th, 2012, 2:24 pm #7

I've got only one highpoint planned, but it's a doozie. I'll be there during the Kon though which kinda sucks. Denali is sucking up all my vacation time this year, and sucked up most of it from last year since I needed to save up. But man am I looking forward to it. I'm heading there with Alpine Ascents.

January 21st, 2012, 1:18 am #8

but do not plan on summiting Hood.

We have a new dog and want her to get some hp's under her belt. Hard to decide which one first. Most likely Black Mesa since it's a special place.
Anyone know if Kenton Kabins are still operating?

January 24th, 2012, 3:00 pm #9

Looking to cimb Mt Baker, NJ maybe only state HP.

January 28th, 2012, 8:25 am #10

I've got only one highpoint planned, but it's a doozie. I'll be there during the Kon though which kinda sucks. Denali is sucking up all my vacation time this year, and sucked up most of it from last year since I needed to save up. But man am I looking forward to it. I'm heading there with Alpine Ascents.
Hey Eric, you'll be consumed by the situation, but wanna do the old americasroof forum people a favor? Write some about what you encounter on your Denali trip, ok? I'm surely not the only one who is weighing whether or not to try it, and if so, to use AA or not. I'd love to read anything you've got to write about it, summit or not.

good luck and stay safe...