What dost it take to win Reedsport?

What dost it take to win Reedsport?

November 16th, 2014, 5:45 pm #1

Ii'm thinking about the possibility of possibly being scared for life by heading West in the Spring for the contest. What are the rules? I think if I'm going to make the trip I'm going to want to play to win. I have a new weapon up my sleeve that could change everything.

Pinske

Carrie
Carrie

November 16th, 2014, 6:11 pm #2

I think you have to beat Bob King on his home turf.
Good luck.

Carrie

cornelius thistlewaite
cornelius thistlewaite

November 16th, 2014, 6:20 pm #3

unless i'm mistaken i think a bit of talent might be a pre-requesite

November 16th, 2014, 6:48 pm #4

I beat Bob King every time I have competed against him! Ok, we only carved against each other one time. Still, undefeated against Bob!

I think the right subject matter is important. I have plenty of talent thronthistle. My ass hair has more talent than you buddy.
Pinske

cornelius thistlewaite
cornelius thistlewaite

November 16th, 2014, 8:09 pm #5

i don't doubt that your anus hair is most creative mr pinske...but the likes of you and your alter ego are very many leagues behind the pedigree of mr king and his equals

November 16th, 2014, 8:14 pm #6

I beat Bob King every time I have competed against him! Ok, we only carved against each other one time. Still, undefeated against Bob!

I think the right subject matter is important. I have plenty of talent thronthistle. My ass hair has more talent than you buddy.
bob will have 10 new saws serviced to hot saw status by factory trained technicians and all brand new equipment for the hand carving detail and home field advantage . I would rather see you invest your time into an art project that deals with current affairs and history where you could spend at least a month . cornthistler his art is so good its invisible

November 16th, 2014, 9:13 pm #7

For one!

Rumor has it "the Bob" will be in chetwyn B.C. as will some of the other big kids,Chris ,mark etc. etc.

I think it would be a grand thing for you to make the pilgrimage that all true chainsaw carver believers must make at least once in a lifetime, be sure to walk around and around the carving event in a counterclockwise way at least three times.

If you are coming to win! you should prepare yourself for crushing disappointment, if you are coming to beat me you might have a slim chance?

If you are coming to broaden your horizons, and expand the narrow view that seems to be pinning you down as you struggle with the frustrated artist, or art manufacturer, you would be absolutely astounded at what will be at your creative fingertips when you return to the thriving metropolis of Chester.

As far as I understand it the theme is open, and the wood is Sitka spruce, it averages three to four feet in diameter, and is 7 to 8 foot tall, its hard as whores heart, and has knots that are small trees in their own right.

Its a four day event with a "quick carve" each day, the quick carve wood is ceder and boards are provided, that is if you sign for one and use it in the contest{chuckle, they don't let them rascal carvers steal boards at reedsport!} their are prizes each day for the quick carve and I believe you get twenty five percent back on all quick carves , plus trinkets.

The main carve is somewhere around twenty hours over four days, the biggest decision you will face is this...... do you carve to the tune of your heart, or make that sculpture that will sell? one may win and the other will be something to haul around, never can tell which is which though, the wood is big, and heavy, so whatever you do take off some weight!

Then there is judging!! this has never went well with some folks, and never will, it has been my experience {vast} that the carver who throws a fit one year, will come back again the next year and the judging is exactly the same, and they do well, and think that everything is great!

And last but not least Barre, you are deserving of some praise in these events that are linked in many ways to the not so distant past, as far as my memory can serve me you did the first quick carve anywhere in hill city in 1986? you , me, and ray Murphy carved a half hour quick carve for the heck of it, while all the carvers looked on saying they cant do that!

and I talked to Hal Macintosh a while back and he said you were the first one to auction them off, and the highest price determined the winner!

That was tupper lake, what year was it?

At any rate if you come I will lobby the Reedsport chamber to hail you as the "father of the quick carve"!

Cant have it look like bob invented everything!

I was on fence about going next year because Its crowding my port gamble show, but if you go I will get myself down there so I can hold your hand and show you around.

November 17th, 2014, 4:44 am #8

Tickets are cheap right now I have to think about it. It wou,d be nice to get out there that's for sure. I have a few ideas for projects that I thunk could be good contest pieces. I would have to practice them though.
Pinske

November 17th, 2014, 3:57 pm #9

But it will all change when you are standing in front of the log, "Portland int " would be the closest airport , I understand you are scared of playing with the big kids, so pop a nut in your sack and get a ticket!

All of these events have life cycles, and even though I haven't heard anything negative except for the usual rumors of conspiracy, its best to treat them with what could the true fragility of events {lots of unpaid work and everyone thinks you made out big!} so act like it could be your last chance.

Remember what I said about inspiration, even without drinking beer you can shoot your mouth off, then spend a lot of time and money {often with no return} backing it up!

Makes for fine adventure.

November 19th, 2014, 4:09 pm #10

I thought you wanted to know?