Chester Vermont wants you!

Chester Vermont wants you!

June 13th, 2013, 4:14 pm #1

Hello, For those who have found this and do not know me, I'm Barre Pinske. I have been a professional artist for 30 years. I made this posting because in terms of the cost of living and potential income, I believe Chester VT may be one of the best places for artists in the Northeast. You can buy a building on Rte 103 starting at $109,000. The coolest thing is, Chester is a town that has not been dissected from travelers by a freeway, making Rte. 103 an old Route 66 type of roadway. Interstate 91 drops folks off at exit 6 and they head north on Rte. 103 from there. People from Manhattan and eastern NY, CT, RI, and western Mass, head to Okemo, Killington, the Southern part of Lake Champlain, lake Boomaseen, and all towns directly North go through Chester. They have no choice. They need to go through town to get to where they want to go! This means money right by the front door. Tourism in general; Skiers, maple sugaring, summer vacationers, and leaf peepers in the fall, all travel through Chester. Fairfield County in CT is the richest county in the US. Many folks from that area vacation North and own second homes in the area. I have had three different galleries on Cape Cod. I wanted a location with year round business at a reasonable price point. I have found that here in Chester. I have been here for six years now and believe Chester is undiscovered because it is a pass-through town rather than a destination. Its potential has been overlooked. I would like to see glass blowers, potters, furniture makers, and painters in our town. Not only to cull the road but to become a destination. The money is already here. We do not need to convince people to come here. They are already on their way. That is the major difference from many areas looking to the Arts for economic development. I never thought I’d see the day when the country would turn to Artists to help with economic growth. That day is here. We could fill restaurants and give Chester a better identity. Chester has economic development money available and I know from experience, people in our community want to help others become successful. Chester is like a country club. It's a a cool little town. Ball fields, a free swimming pool, good schools, and nice working class folks. I would love to see talented artists who have some success behind them, come here and open shop. You will still have the ability to do shows or what ever you normally do that gets you by. To have a live, work, sell space with people with dough right out your door is really nice. Home ownership is part of the American Dream. It’s all available to you here in Chester. You cannot get what route 103 has to offer in a mill studio or living in the woods. One set of bills for a place you own, and a river of gold out the door. You just have to pan it. Email me at barrepinske@hotmail.com We have Bankers, Lawyers, Regional economic development folks, the art council, and people in the media all on board and ready to help. You can do it! Come join us.

1377 Rte. 103
$325,000- Commercial property, built 2007
Contact Julie Lowe of Lowe's Real Estate and Property Management
(800) 277-1627 or info@lowesre.com

191 Depot St.

$439,000-1885, 3 bedroom, 3 bath, 11 rooms total home
Contact Rebecca Sanford of Walnut Hill Realty, LLC
Phone: (802) 228-5544, Email: rsanford@walnuthillrealty.net

273 Depot St.
Available for sale, but currently not listed with a realtor.

Also Available is the Laundromat directly across the street.

For information on either property pictured above contact Bill and Nancy Lindsey at (802) 376-3971 or nancyvw@comcast.net

316 Depot St.
$149,000- 1900 multi-family home, 2,773 sq. ft.
Contact Julie Lowe of Lowe's Real Estate and Property Management
(800) 277-1627 or info@lowesre.com

Depot St.
A friends property a few homes down from me. It's available for sale but not currently listed.
For information contact barrepinske@hotmail.com

455 Depot St.
$159,000- 1850, 2,800 sq. ft., 4 bedroom, 3 bath, 13 rooms total
Contact Rebecca Sanford of Walnut Hill Realty, LLC
Phone: (802) 228-5544, Email: rsanford@walnuthillrealty.net

485 Depot St.
$127,500- 21,780 sq. ft. lot with three mobile homes
Contact William Sahlman of Century 21 (603) 643-0127

534 Elm St.
$299,000- Chester's "Marsh House" 1868, 3,850 sq ft., 7 bedroom, 4 bath, 15 rooms total
Contact Philip Atwood of Barrett & Valley Associates Inc. at
(802) 843-2390 or landphil@vermontel.net

624 Depot St.
$125,000-1930, 1,225 sq ft., 2 bedroom, 1 bath
Contact Gale Alger of Barrett & Valley Associates Inc. at
(802) 843-2390 or galealger@barrettandvalley.com

Cummings Hardware Chester Depot
Built 1858, currently a hardware and country store
Not yet listed the owner is retiring soon and the complex will be available.

656 Depot St.
$109,000-1987, 2,280 sq ft., 1 bedroom, 2 bath
Contact Wilma Skovinski of Berkley & Veller Greenwood Country Realtors at
(802) 254-6400 or wilma.skovinski@berkleyveller.com

<center>

514 First Ave.
$425,000- 1803, 4,000 sq. ft., 5 bedroom, 4 bath
Contact Seth Warren Real Estate at
info@sethwarren.com or (802) 484-3000

Stone Village Rte. 103
$119,00- 1900, 2,452 sq. ft., 4 bedroom, 1 bath
Contact Gary Coger of Coldwell Banker Watson Realty at
(802) 228- 5678 or gary_coger@cbwatson.net

</center>
Last edited by 1pinske on June 13th, 2013, 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pinske

R.D. Coonrod
R.D. Coonrod

June 13th, 2013, 7:29 pm #2

You can build new around here for that. Those prices are ridiculous to a mid-west farm boy. I am always shocked at the outrageous west coast prices as well. I have never found any reason to stay for more than a visit. Not sure what the attraction is. With a much higher cost of living and selling art for the same or less money, I would say you would be better off in Minnesota.

June 13th, 2013, 8:50 pm #3

You are making some assumptions RD. Anything you purchase regionally for a fair price has a true value so you are not comparing apples to apples. Second there are many more people to do business with here than in an even more rural area. I would not be selling any art out of my door step in Plato MN. I have some of the wealthiest people in the country driving right by my front door and two of the biggest art markets 3.5 hours away. That's why you move to the east my friend. The opportunities are much greater.

A lot of you guys have to travel to make a buck. I'm not saying that's a bad thing just different. I have to travel from the bedroom to the bathroom to the kitchen to the studio to the gallery. It's all right here in the same building. That's what I'm trying to share with others. Help people not have to schlep their stuff around as much, have a good investment and make a fair living.

We used the forum as a web template with this one. I'm making postings in other social media and hope to add the HTML code to our towns web site pending approval from the town manager. I'm involved with economic development in our town. Government moves slow it's just the way it is safer I guess. I'm presenting what I've done at next weeks select board meeting. This is a small start to what we have in mind to promote what our town has to offer. We are hoping this leads to a more vibrant and creative community, good restaurants and better use of the properties. Many of the homes have elderly folks in them, some are rentals and many of those folks are on assistance. Fixed income and assistance dose not make for a good dining crowd, There are a lot of good people in our town. As few as 6 to 10 very talented people could give us a big shot in the arm. People would come here to see what we have to offer, stay in our town and shop and eat. That makes things better for everyone.

We should all get together and buy the whole damn road, create a lot of value then sell it all. Move back home to the Mid West and build Mansions in the middle of a fields with our own airstrips. We could fly to each others houses for dinner. Hurry up I'm getting old!
Pinske

RD Coonrod
RD Coonrod

June 13th, 2013, 9:44 pm #4

I don't want to live anywhere near that many people. I live outside of Quincy, a town of 40,000 and a shopping population of about 460,000. It is considered an agricultural hub community. Most of these people have yards that they care very much about, and spend a lot of time in them. Good customers if you are into selling carvings. Quincy is home to the founder of the society of fine arts, the Lincoln /Douglas debates, the highest view point of the mississippi river, the best whitetail deer hunting in the country, tons of lodges and outfitters. 20 miles from mark twain's home town. Also known as little Chicago, because the Chicago mafia was based here until the opening of the Eire canal. 500,000 around here will get you 10 prime acres and a brand new 6000 square foot brick home with hardwoods and granite, with a nice in ground pool. A friend af mine just bought it. Don't take this as a sales pitch, I think Chicago's corruption was perfected here before moving to Chicago. I would not recommend this place to anybody....well maybe backas, he could probably teach theses boys a thing or two about corruption...before they removed him...lol

I only have 2 more years here in Quincy. Then off to the sticks in Arkansas. Closest town 15 miles, population 202 and the cell phone don't work there, almost perfect.

June 13th, 2013, 10:05 pm #5

I need to come see you out there sometime it sounds like a cool town. You will be moving to Arkansas just about the time your teeth will fall out so good timing! Lol just kidding.

There are not many places in the East you can do a live, work, sell in a neighborhood. In Mass, where I spent 16 years, they want you to live in a residential area work in an industrial area and sell in a retail area. I did that for awhile I had three of everything. Sucked. Three electric bills three phone bills ( still had land lines then) stuff in three diffent places. Expensive. This in nice here reasonable too. We cannot draw folks like you can in a city but new people come through all the time. It's cool. I'd like to see more artists here we need a good hand full that's it. Not the whole world 5 to 10 it should not be that hard to find them.
Pinske

June 13th, 2013, 10:55 pm #6

the whole town is fer sale up there !!!! I was planning on moving to arkcansaw now it looks like costa rica teeth are optional

R.D. Coonrod
R.D. Coonrod

June 14th, 2013, 1:32 am #7

I'm way ahead of you...I have a mouth full of teeth, but only 2 left that God gave me. I was in the dentist office a couple of days ago getting fitted for a new partial. I told the dentist when they came in I want her to carve me some bubba teeth out of the old ones so I will fit in in the sticks....

June 14th, 2013, 2:16 am #8

June 14th, 2013, 3:07 am #9

I'm not responsible for what people post here. I can edit and remove posts I prefer not to. Buzz Saw lives down the road from the rail road bridge that the albino kid played the banjo on in the movie Deliverance. I'm sure knowing this helps others understand him better. To say he had a tough childhood is an understatement!
Pinske

June 14th, 2013, 1:49 pm #10

bear when they make part deux to deliverance maybe you can play a skin flute on the rail road bridge you kind of look in-breed with your rumpled foreskin eye lid and folliculey challenged head my guess you were the head janitor at 3 mile island and you worked all the overtime allowed ha ha http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km42CG26GZM