Iran put some of its radars on display

Moderators: Moderators, Administrator

November 24th, 2010, 7:15 pm #41

New fire controle system with Electro Optics:

This one is said to be a 3D National radar:

THE WORLD IS A BRIDGE, CROSS IT, BUT BUILD NO HOUSE UPON IT!
-------------------------------------------

Provost, honestly, you strike me as an intelligent being and as such, when you debate you have more or less waterproof arguments.

Thank you, Sina. Im not really all that bright, but I do know logical argument and have a pretty good BS meter.

That is why in debates such as this one, I will agree fully with you that the retoric coming out of Iran is US hostile, with or without taking translation into account.

Thats been my conclusion.

However the question here is this; Is it really enough with retorics in order to conclude that "one of Irans goals is the destruction of US". In my opinion it is not! In the case of Iran I would seperate the retoric coming out and the actual goals they have.

Well, thats what Im trying to determine, ultimately. What you are saying, as I understand it, despite, their avowing to want the destruction of America, that it is simply rhetoric not the expression of their true intentions. That is certainly possible. My problem with that, however, Sina, is that history teaches me that often rhetoric expresses intention. Anyone who has read Mein Kampf for example could hardly be surprised at the path Hitlers Germany took. Likewise, anyone who listened to Osama bin Laden in the 1990's could really be surprised about September 11th.

I will admit I dont know whether the IRIs rhetoric is just rhetoric or whether it expresses their true desires and intentions. I have said before that Im been reading about Shia eschatology. If you read the religious related statements about the desire to clear the way for the coming of the Mahdi, with the belief that the IRIs nuclear program isnt simply civilian but has a military aspect to it, their statements might make reasonable people concerned.

My take on the matter is that IRI main goal is:
1. To stay in Power!!!
That is the sole goal they have IMO.

I am certain that you are correct that this is their main goal and it might even be the sole goal. That, however, raises the question as to why they think its so important that they retain power.

To achieve this goal they will take several measures:
2. Use retorics to fool the simpleminded. Mind you, anybody with the least insight in politics, understands that what IRI says and what IRI wants/has is totally different, e.g. We have developed Iranian S-300 by modifying S-200 (BS), we have developed our own fighter jet (BS), Iran is better of now then before the revolution (BS), we have freedom of speech (BS), IRI is democratic (BS) etc etc.

Here I can agree.
3. To make sure no outside power will challenge their position they will make sure that they can defend themselves. Here where all their toy development comes into the picture.
etc etc

Their real, as opposed to show, defense seems to be more directed at internal defense as opposed to external defense. Ill admit though it is very hard for Westerners to really know how the IRIs military would really function in the defense of Iran. Ive never questioned the courage of Iranians in defending their nation but it is very hard to know how effectively that courage can be harnessed to deal with external threats by the current leadership of the IRI.

"It is hard to see how a great man can be an atheist. Without the sustaining influence of faith in a divine power we could have little faith in ourselves. We need to feel that behind us is intelligence and love. Doubters do not achieve; skeptics do not contribute; cynics do not create. Faith is the great motive power, and no man realizes his full possibilities unless he has the deep conviction that life is eternally important, and that his work, well done, is a part of an unending plan."

Calvin Coolidge

November 24th, 2010, 11:24 pm #42

Sina jan, don't waste your time with this guy. He is a little more than a joke.
A real lawyer like myself can spot him as a fake a mile off; not to mention the fact that
lawyers simply do not have this much time to waste on forums to argue with little kids.

His opinions, just like his imaginary profession, really makes no difference to the real world. I'd suggest you do as I do, and just ignore him/her.

November 25th, 2010, 3:40 am #43

I have been saying that for a while now. Anyway,why do you have Hezbollah in your sig? I am the only Muslim Iranian on this forum...And a pretty sexy one at that as well.

November 25th, 2010, 5:41 am #44

Handi why you change youre group name to Anusiya it sound little feminie. You should change to better name.

November 25th, 2010, 4:34 pm #45

More evasion of the issue. More personal animus. It's sad, really, that a person who claims two law degrees is so intellectually limited to completely eliminate any reasonable discussion of people with opposing views.

This isn't IMF, Hadi, where people who stand up and refute your bovine excrement are banned for your convenience. You want to ignore me, I'm fine with that. You're hardly a worthy debater anyway. Here your Hezbolli venom will be refuted every time. Good luck with your jihad, both greater and lesser. You need all the help you can get.

If I had permitted my failures, or what seemed to me at the time a lack of success, to discourage me I cannot see any way in which I would ever have made progress.
Calvin Coolidge

November 25th, 2010, 7:17 pm #46

LOL Papa... did I touch a raw nerve? You got a little touchy sweetheart.
What's the matter, a big time lawyer like you (LOL) should know better than to get so hot under the collar.

As for IMF... stopped posting there over a year ago. If you got banned from there, it's because even they can see you are a loser with nothing better to do than argue with kids over the internet, while pretending to be a lawyer! LOL

@ Irommax. No, there are plenty of Iranian Moslem here. They just cant be bothered to waste their lime arguing with little idiot kids.

@ Said. I never changed my group. I had voted for the Immortals years ago, but dont know who decided to change to this new one. Not that Id waste my time caring about these things.

November 25th, 2010, 7:53 pm #47

Hadi jan, I do have conflicting views with provost, which can at times make me upset, to be frank. The reason is of course that we are so far away on a political scale. Having said that, one has to agree that he has great debating skills. And that is one of two reasons for why I lurk around WAFF; 1. update on world matters from different perspectives, 2. debate! Debating someone sharing the same mentality is quite boring.

@ Provost

Once again you have presented pretty good, well thought over and bullet proof arguments. Lets go through them point by point.

"Well, thats what Im trying to determine, ultimately. What you are saying, as I understand it, despite, their avowing to want the destruction of America, that it is simply rhetoric not the expression of their true intentions. That is certainly possible."

Yes this is my take on the matter.

"My problem with that, however, Sina, is that history teaches me that often rhetoric expresses intention. Anyone who has read Mein Kampf for example could hardly be surprised at the path Hitlers Germany took."

Actually I haven't read Mein Kampf (would you recommend it?), so I can't argue with you regarding the content of that book as a reference. However if the point you want to make is about the extermination of jews, I believe that there are two logical views on the matter:
1. Hitler had a desire to kill them to start with.
2. Hitler wanted to have full power in Germany, in all aspect. He also wanted a clean aryan race in Germany. By stripping jews economically and politically he could achieve his firs goal, however the second goal could only come true if the jews dissapeared. They tried with deportation as a first measure. When that didn't work, they tried with ghettos, which didn't work all that well either. So the next measure was to have them working as slaves basically. When food shortage struck Germany, guess who was struck first? When some got too tiered to work they started executing them. And when that became something which they did on a daily basis, extermination wasn't a far and scary concept anymore. Tragic, but I believe a highly likely.

Honestly I don't know if Hitler had computed the faith of the jews and had prepared a master plan, or if it was a "one thing leads to another" scenario. For the germans sake I hope it was alternative 2 which occured. In either case if we could conclude that it actually wasn't something that was planned and it happened because of a series incidents, then it leads us to the point which I want to make. If Iran wants to destroy the US, it will start taking measures leading to the goal. However, so far we have only heard and not seen any measures and as long as this is the case, I wouldn't bet that they will ever try.

"Likewise, anyone who listened to Osama bin Laden in the 1990's could really be surprised about September 11th."

Also a very good point and an interesting one for that matter. The Bin Ladens, is as far as I have understood, the next imporating clan, next to the Sauds. Osama, I believe, has a greated desire for money and power, than hate for the US. What he wants ultimately is to throw out the sauds (note not necessarily the americans) from SA. It is a power struggle. By putting pressure on the protectors, he hopes he can gain greater power in his homeland. Bin Laden was not the least religious before he went into politics, got blocked from the Sauds and figured that the only way he could put pressure on them was to create an army. Here is where hi started with his rethorics for the simpleminded And what kind rethorics work on the simpleminded in ME you ask? Well, put "will of Allah" into every sentece and you have majority support, you don't even have to have knowledge about islam, only claim you have. Anybody with half of brain knows that the jibberish coming out of Osamas mouth is just that, jibberish!

"I will admit I dont know whether the IRIs rhetoric is just rhetoric or whether it expresses their true desires and intentions. I have said before that Im been reading about Shia eschatology. If you read the religious related statements about the desire to clear the way for the coming of the Mahdi, with the belief that the IRIs nuclear program isnt simply civilian but has a military aspect to it, their statements might make reasonable people concerned. "

I am not following you on this one. If you please could elaborate, then I could comment on it. More specifically how Mahdis return is connected to the military nauture of their nuclear program.

"Their real, as opposed to show, defense seems to be more directed at internal defense as opposed to external defense. Ill admit though it is very hard for Westerners to really know how the IRIs military would really function in the defense of Iran. Ive never questioned the courage of Iranians in defending their nation but it is very hard to know how effectively that courage can be harnessed to deal with external threats by the current leadership of the IRI."

Agree!

November 26th, 2010, 3:28 pm #48

LOL Papa... did I touch a raw nerve? You got a little touchy sweetheart.
What's the matter, a big time lawyer like you (LOL) should know better than to get so hot under the collar.

Yes, Hadi, I'm crushed. Fencing with you here is far too intimidating for me. LOL.

If I had permitted my failures, or what seemed to me at the time a lack of success, to discourage me I cannot see any way in which I would ever have made progress.
Calvin Coolidge

November 26th, 2010, 4:09 pm #49

Yes this is my take on the matter.

You might well be right, Sina. I, frankly, hope you are.

Actually I haven't read Mein Kampf (would you recommend it?), so I can't argue with you regarding the content of that book as a reference. However if the point you want to make is about the extermination of jews, I believe that there are two logical views on the matter:
1. Hitler had a desire to kill them to start with.
2. Hitler wanted to have full power in Germany, in all aspect. He also wanted a clean aryan race in Germany. By stripping jews economically and politically he could achieve his firs goal, however the second goal could only come true if the jews dissapeared. They tried with deportation as a first measure. When that didn't work, they tried with ghettos, which didn't work all that well either. So the next measure was to have them working as slaves basically. When food shortage struck Germany, guess who was struck first? When some got too tiered to work they started executing them. And when that became something which they did on a daily basis, extermination wasn't a far and scary concept anymore. Tragic, but I believe a highly likely.

I read Mein Kampf while I was in college as part of a comparative ideologies class but havent read it in some years. I only mentioned it, not to lead to a substantive discussion of Nazi policies but to demonstrate that sometimes peoples rhetoric actually signals their intentions.

Honestly I don't know if Hitler had computed the faith of the jews and had prepared a master plan, or if it was a "one thing leads to another" scenario. For the germans sake I hope it was alternative 2 which occured. In either case if we could conclude that it actually wasn't something that was planned and it happened because of a series incidents, then it leads us to the point which I want to make.

Well, I wasnt going to recommend that you read it, but based upon these statements, you might find Mein Kampf very instructive. One cannot see the Final Solution as it was without knowing whats its architect intended.

If Iran wants to destroy the US, it will start taking measures leading to the goal. However, so far we have only heard and not seen any measures and as long as this is the case, I wouldn't bet that they will ever try.

Well, I guess that leads us back to interpreting current events. Some might view Irans nuclear program and its push to develop ballistic missiles as doing just that. It touting that its ballistic missiles are capable of hitting Europe and its continuing quest to develop ICBMs lend credence to the view that their nuclear program might not be as civilian as claimed.

Also a very good point and an interesting one for that matter. The Bin Ladens, is as far as I have understood, the next imporating clan, next to the Sauds. Osama, I believe, has a greated desire for money and power, than hate for the US. What he wants ultimately is to throw out the sauds (note not necessarily the americans) from SA. It is a power struggle. By putting pressure on the protectors, he hopes he can gain greater power in his homeland. Bin Laden was not the least religious before he went into politics, got blocked from the Sauds and figured that the only way he could put pressure on them was to create an army. Here is where hi started with his rethorics for the simpleminded And what kind rethorics work on the simpleminded in ME you ask? Well, put "will of Allah" into every sentece and you have majority support, you don't even have to have knowledge about islam, only claim you have. Anybody with half of brain knows that the jibberish coming out of Osamas mouth is just that, jibberish!

Im not in a position to argue about bin Ladens ultimate goals or his true religiosity. I freely admit my ignorance. The problem is that since the rise of al Qeada in the 1990's, he, and it, have proclaimed the right and duty to attack Americans anywhere and anytime. Since then there have been a series of attacks, purportedly carried out by al Qeada at bin Ladens direction doing just that. My point was that sometimes rhetoric isnt empty but really states exactly what the speaker seeks and intends.

I am not following you on this one. If you please could elaborate, then I could comment on it. More specifically how Mahdis return is connected to the military nauture of their nuclear program.

That wasnt very clear, my apologies. As I understand Shia eschatology, it is believed that the Mahdi will come to establish an earthly kingdom of justice and peace. That return is to be paved by the destruction of the Jews and Christians who refuse to accept Islam based upon Jesus coming at the Madhis side. This is, of course, a much simplified version but if it truly reflects ones belief then the development of nuclear weapons to be used to strike both Israel and the US, to pave the way for the Madhis coming makes perfect sense. In fact, the development and use of these weapons, regardless of the consequences, in such an ideology or belief structure makes perfect sense. If this were to be the ideology or mind set of the IRIs leaders, that would make the IRI a serious threat to the US, not because I believe they could, in fact, destroy the US, but because of the willingness to use nuclear weapons to spark a war that they believe would pave the way for extending their Islamic Republic throughout the world as a modern caliphate ruled by the Madhi.

Why this is viewed as so dangerous by those that believe it is the ideology of the IRIs leaders is that it makes nuclear exchange not only conceivable, but even desirable. Many think that the West triumphed over the Soviets because ultimately Soviet leaders were rational and did not desire to see the world destroyed. If, on the other hand, you are dealing with an ideology that sees the worlds destruction as a gateway to heaven on earth, one can never hope to dissuade them from developing nuclear weapons and having made them, from using them. This is the reason the IRI is viewed by some as such a threat to peace.

Again, I am just trying to educate myself and figure our what the truth really is. I appreciate your insights.

Calvin Coolidge

November 26th, 2010, 5:45 pm #50

"I read Mein Kampf while I was in college as part of a comparative ideologies class but havent read it in some years. I only mentioned it, not to lead to a substantive discussion of Nazi policies but to demonstrate that sometimes peoples rhetoric actually signals their intentions. "

Point taken!

"Well, I wasnt going to recommend that you read it, but based upon these statements, you might find Mein Kampf very instructive. One cannot see the Final Solution as it was without knowing whats its architect intended. "

I think I'll be looking into it someday.

"Im not in a position to argue about bin Ladens ultimate goals or his true religiosity. I freely admit my ignorance. The problem is that since the rise of al Qeada in the 1990's, he, and it, have proclaimed the right and duty to attack Americans anywhere and anytime. Since then there have been a series of attacks, purportedly carried out by al Qeada at bin Ladens direction doing just that. My point was that sometimes rhetoric isnt empty but really states exactly what the speaker seeks and intends. "

Your point is well taken. We should however note that in the case of Osama and talibans, their rethorics match their actions. This is true when it comes to killing americans, shia muslims and iranians alike. Also we should note that all three groups are strategic enemies to them and stand in their way to expand their power and influence in the region. My opinion is that they use religion in order to gain more power and not the other way around. However, I can't really prove it.

"Well, I guess that leads us back to interpreting current events. Some might view Irans nuclear program and its push to develop ballistic missiles as doing just that. It touting that its ballistic missiles are capable of hitting Europe and its continuing quest to develop ICBMs lend credence to the view that their nuclear program might not be as civilian as claimed. "

That could very well be the case. We can only speculate IMO.

"That wasnt very clear, my apologies. As I understand Shia eschatology, it is believed that the Mahdi will come to establish an earthly kingdom of justice and peace. That return is to be paved by the destruction of the Jews and Christians who refuse to accept Islam based upon Jesus coming at the Madhis side. This is, of course, a much simplified version but if it truly reflects ones belief then the development of nuclear weapons to be used to strike both Israel and the US, to pave the way for the Madhis coming makes perfect sense. In fact, the development and use of these weapons, regardless of the consequences, in such an ideology or belief structure makes perfect sense. If this were to be the ideology or mind set of the IRIs leaders, that would make the IRI a serious threat to the US, not because I believe they could, in fact, destroy the US, but because of the willingness to use nuclear weapons to spark a war that they believe would pave the way for extending their Islamic Republic throughout the world as a modern caliphate ruled by the Madhi. "

I was almost sure that this was the point that you wanted to make, but I wasn't certain. Yes, I have heard about this as well. It sounds crazy. Do they really believe that? How could we know? If we look at this matter from a historical point of view, we can see that some people have allways been convinced of another world besides this one and therefore been willing to put their own lives on stake. In modern times we have extreme believers who are even willing to blow themsleves up for the sake of their beliefs. However, those who talk about these scenarios, the likes of Khomeini, Khamenei, Ahmadinejad, Bin Laden, Urban II and all other european leaders from the middle ages for that matter, do/did they also believe in the fairytales they proclaimed or was it only a tool for them to achieve something else, namely power?

The pope Urban II has said the following:
"I, or rather the Lord, beseech you as Christ's heralds to publish this everywhere and to pers­e all people of whatever rank, foot-soldiers and knights, poor and rich, to carry aid promptly to those Christians and to destroy that vile race from the lands of our friends. I say this to those who are present, it meant also for those who are absent. Moreover, Christ commands it."

Compare this speach with Bin Ladens speaches, the resemblance is striking don't you think? Also the situation Europe was in at that time, is quite alike to the Middle East today. Europe was in a real bad shape, economically and socially, with immense internal wars and struggles. Middle East on the other hand was blooming in all aspects and was increasing its influence over Europe. Many historians believe that Urban II real intentions was to save a dying world and not as he procclaimed to kill all muslims.

Last edited by SINA-1 on November 26th, 2010, 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 27th, 2010, 3:43 pm #51

Your point is well taken. We should however note that in the case of Osama and talibans, their rethorics match their actions. This is true when it comes to killing americans, shia muslims and iranians alike. Also we should note that all three groups are strategic enemies to them and stand in their way to expand their power and influence in the region. My opinion is that they use religion in order to gain more power and not the other way around. However, I can't really prove it.

Very true, Sina, al Qeada is as opposed to the IRI and Shias in general as they are to anyone else. I tend to agree with your assessment of the depth of their religious belief.

That could very well be the case. We can only speculate IMO.

Yes, none of us know.

I was almost sure that this was the point that you wanted to make, but I wasn't certain. Yes, I have heard about this as well. It sounds crazy. Do they really believe that? How could we know?

Yes, very crazy. Also true, we dont know, we simply know what they say.

If we look at this matter from a historical point of view, we can see that some people have allways been convinced of another world besides this one and therefore been willing to put their own lives on stake. In modern times we have extreme believers who are even willing to blow themsleves up for the sake of their beliefs. However, those who talk about these scenarios, the likes of Khomeini, Khamenei, Ahmadinejad, Bin Laden, Urban II and all other european leaders from the middle ages for that matter, do/did they also believe in the fairytales they proclaimed or was it only a tool for them to achieve something else, namely power?

There is no way to know.

Compare this speach with Bin Ladens speaches, the resemblance is striking don't you think? Also the situation Europe was in at that time, is quite alike to the Middle East today. Europe was in a real bad shape, economically and socially, with immense internal wars and struggles. Middle East on the other hand was blooming in all aspects and was increasing its influence over Europe. Many historians believe that Urban II real intentions was to save a dying world and not as he procclaimed to kill all muslims.

They are similar, yes. You might be right about Urbans intentions. Urban, however, almost 1000 years ago, so Im not sure that I agree with your analogy of Europe circa 1095 with the Middle East circa 2010. Maybe you could flesh that out for me.

Knowledge comes, but wisdom lingers. It may not be difficult to store up in the mind a vast quantity of face within a comparatively short time, but the ability to form judgments requires the severe discipline of hard work and the tempering heat of experience and maturity.
Calvin Coolidge

November 28th, 2010, 5:29 pm #52

"They are similar, yes. You might be right about Urbans intentions. Urban, however, almost 1000 years ago, so Im not sure that I agree with your analogy of Europe circa 1095 with the Middle East circa 2010. Maybe you could flesh that out for me."

I apologize for not being specific. My intentions was to give an analogy between Middle East supremacy over Europe during the dark ages and Europes supremacy over Middle East in modern times.
What we can observe today is that Europe and the West has been dominating in every field over Middle East, be it science or trade. Also there has been immense colonization or puppet regime intallments in that region by western powers. That the west controls much of middle east today is a fact which one cannot dismiss. Moreover, the great difference in living standards cannot be dismissed either. That a great majority of muslims live in poverty and missery is a bitter reality for the inhabitants of the region. It is this bitternes in the population which the likes of Bin Laden use as fuel in order to serve their interests. You can be rest assured that if the people of Middle East would have been content with their lives, they would disregard extremist rethorics.
There are voices of extremism in Europe and the west as well, however because of the fact that the majority is content, only a few which live in missery invite this kind of rethorics, more specifically fascist and nazist groups, outsiders which are not content with their lives.
However if we look back to the Middle Ages the situation in Europe was much different and people in general weren't pleased with theur lives. After the fall of the Roman empire the social structure fell to pieces and the economies of regions went back to the times before the Roman empire. Pax romana was no more and war and struggkes devestated Europe. This coincided with the expansion of the Islamic empire in the East. There is no question that all for scientific research and development accured in the East during this time. The trade which was so vital during the Roman empire, now exclusively belonged to the new empire in east. By conolizing northern Africa, southern Italy and spain, the Islamic empire now controlled the entire mediterranean, what the Romans called mare nostrum "our ocean". These where all himulateíng defeats for former lords of the world and the bitternes rose in poor and nobles alike, just as we can witness in the Islamic world today.

Basically this is the analogy I wanted to make. Based on this historic observation I conclude that rethorics designed for a population in pain and missery, hides the real intentions of those in power.

November 29th, 2010, 8:33 pm #53

I can see your analogy, Sina, and can't dispute it. The difference though, I suppose, lies in the possibility of those who feel oppressed and dispossessed resorting to the use of nuclear weapons to assuage those feelings. I honestly don't know how rational the leaders of the IRI are, but I hope they're rational enough to see that devastation would be wrought on a much wider scale than simply Israel if they decided that nuclear weapons are a way to rid themselves of the "cancer" in the MidEast. Once the nukes start flying it will be had to stop them and wide swaths of the area will be uninhabitable for years.

Knowledge comes, but wisdom lingers. It may not be difficult to store up in the mind a vast quantity of face within a comparatively short time, but the ability to form judgments requires the severe discipline of hard work and the tempering heat of experience and maturity.
Calvin Coolidge

November 29th, 2010, 11:04 pm #54

"I can see your analogy, Sina, and can't dispute it. The difference though, I suppose, lies in the possibility of those who feel oppressed and dispossessed resorting to the use of nuclear weapons to assuage those feelings."

I believe that only in time of total desperation any country would think about using mass destruction weapon, just as Saddam did to stop the Iranian invasion, and not when he first tried to conquer Abadan.

"I honestly don't know how rational the leaders of the IRI are, but I hope they're rational enough to see that devastation would be wrought on a much wider scale than simply Israel if they decided that nuclear weapons are a way to rid themselves of the "cancer" in the MidEast."

I hope they are rational enough as well. Hopefully they will become even more rational soon enough to understand that Iran only has a few natural allies in the region, namely; Turkey, Syria, Lebanon and Israel. I am convinced that the homogen arab sunni countries want nothing less than to destroy/weaken the mentioned states though these countries threaten their aspiration for region dominance.

"Once the nukes start flying it will be had to stop them and wide swaths of the area will be uninhabitable for years."

Let us also hope that the "worried" countries do not take any pre-emptive meassures to calm their nerves. "A person often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it." Jean de La Fontaine

Last edited by SINA-1 on November 29th, 2010, 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.