religion is a "mindset" of people who believe what others THINK they experienced

religion is a "mindset" of people who believe what others THINK they experienced

Iceman
Iceman

October 26th, 2011, 9:05 pm #1

Like a LSD trip, schizophrenia and other forms of hullucinations.

Jim Jones, David Koresh, Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson, Fred Phillips, Ted Hagard, Sun Myung Moon, Joseph Smith, Stewart Traill, Aum Shinrikyo, Claude Vorilhon, L. Ron Hubbard, Joseph D, Mombro, C. Applewhite ALL HAD GREAT EXPERIENCES. And that's juat the tip of the hullucinogenic religious iceberg. Acyually it's a friggin glacier.

edited to enter name
Last edited by Oscar50 on October 26th, 2011, 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 27th, 2011, 4:16 am #2

Religion, for me, is making connections with other people who have already experienced what I've experienced, who already believe what I believe. It's not about convincing anyone to believe what I believe -- it's about finding others who have had similar spiritual experiences to mine, and who see God the same way I do. Not that we will necessarily agree on every detail, but that there will be a common ground.

I had a few really bad church experiences, some that ultimately led to me walking away from church for years. But I still believed in God, still knew what I believed about God -- and what made me leave those churches was that they believed some things very different than I believe.

When I felt the need for spiritual community again, I looked until I found a congregation that respected and included women; that was inclusive and truly welcomed everyone; that was not racially bigoted or homophobic; that did not mandate that the Bible must be accepted as infallible and inerrant but rather that we should approach the word of God through scripture, tradition, reason, and experience; that was concerned about social justice -- feeding the hungry, helping the homeless, loving our neighbors.

Tim
Tim

October 27th, 2011, 4:18 am #3

Jim Jones, David Koresh, Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson, Fred Phillips, Ted Hagard, Sun Myung Moon, Joseph Smith, Stewart Traill, Aum Shinrikyo, Claude Vorilhon, L. Ron Hubbard, Joseph D, Mombro, C. Applewhite ALL HAD GREAT EXPERIENCES. And that's juat the tip of the hullucinogenic religious iceberg. Acyually it's a friggin glacier.

edited to enter name
This world contains all types. Illuminati, Skull and Bones, Freemasons, Catholics, Christians.... You name it, and it can be found in this world.

And of course per con artists can also be found.
Not to mention the delusional.

I can tell my personal stories, but many will think I'm delusional.

All I can really claim with certainty that others will eventually understand, is, time will tell.

And I know that doesn't lead to much conversation, but I don't know what else to say right now.

Tim

Seoc Colla
Seoc Colla

October 27th, 2011, 8:11 am #4

Religion, for me, is making connections with other people who have already experienced what I've experienced, who already believe what I believe. It's not about convincing anyone to believe what I believe -- it's about finding others who have had similar spiritual experiences to mine, and who see God the same way I do. Not that we will necessarily agree on every detail, but that there will be a common ground.

I had a few really bad church experiences, some that ultimately led to me walking away from church for years. But I still believed in God, still knew what I believed about God -- and what made me leave those churches was that they believed some things very different than I believe.

When I felt the need for spiritual community again, I looked until I found a congregation that respected and included women; that was inclusive and truly welcomed everyone; that was not racially bigoted or homophobic; that did not mandate that the Bible must be accepted as infallible and inerrant but rather that we should approach the word of God through scripture, tradition, reason, and experience; that was concerned about social justice -- feeding the hungry, helping the homeless, loving our neighbors.
""But I still believed in God"" Kate

Kate, do you consider that there might be some connection between the Churches and the Universal concept of 'God'?

October 27th, 2011, 12:56 pm #5

edited to enter name
I believe that L. Ron Hubbard was actually an atheist. Just look at some of the stuff he wrote.

I believe he saw how much $$$ religions conned out of their followers. When you sell an invisible product, you don't have to provide evidence of it's effectiveness. And, if it appears the product doesn't work, the consumers blame themselves! Religion is the perfect money making scam.

He invented Scientology as a means to make a ton of tax-free money.

He succeeded. It's not very honest, but then again, how many honest millionaire evangelists do you know of?

-----------------------------------------------
"We are each free to believe what we want, and it's my view that the simplest explanation is: There is no god. No one created the Universe, and no one directs our fate. This leads me to a profound realization; there is probably no heaven and no afterlife, either. We have this one life to appreciate the grand design of the Universe. And for that, I am extremely grateful." -- Professor Stephen Hawking, cosmologist

Tim
Tim

October 27th, 2011, 9:48 pm #6

Matthew 19:23
23 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.
24 And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

October 27th, 2011, 11:23 pm #7

It's supposed to be cable (aka large rope), not camel...

Don't trust me on that... Do your own study and homework to find out for yourself.

October 27th, 2011, 11:47 pm #8

... it was just a simple typo?

-Voince

October 28th, 2011, 12:15 am #9

I believe that L. Ron Hubbard was actually an atheist. Just look at some of the stuff he wrote.

I believe he saw how much $$$ religions conned out of their followers. When you sell an invisible product, you don't have to provide evidence of it's effectiveness. And, if it appears the product doesn't work, the consumers blame themselves! Religion is the perfect money making scam.

He invented Scientology as a means to make a ton of tax-free money.

He succeeded. It's not very honest, but then again, how many honest millionaire evangelists do you know of?

-----------------------------------------------
"We are each free to believe what we want, and it's my view that the simplest explanation is: There is no god. No one created the Universe, and no one directs our fate. This leads me to a profound realization; there is probably no heaven and no afterlife, either. We have this one life to appreciate the grand design of the Universe. And for that, I am extremely grateful." -- Professor Stephen Hawking, cosmologist
One time, at the writer's guild in NY...
He was complaining about how poorly authors were paid...
-- He was a prolific, pulp, sci-fi author...
And declared that...
-- "The only way to make any REAL Money, is to start your own Religion!"

Shortly afterwards...
-- Scientology was born.

-PRev1-

Tim
Tim

October 28th, 2011, 1:18 am #10

... it was just a simple typo?

-Voince
Strong's Ref. # 2574

Romanized kamelos