Luke 14:27 Counting the Cost for TRUE CHRISTIANS

Luke 14:27 Counting the Cost for TRUE CHRISTIANS

March 31st, 2010, 1:44 pm #1

Count the cost

When world-renowned tenor Luciano Pavarotti was a youth, he became the pupil of a professional tenor in Italy. Later, he studied music education in college. Upon graduating, he asked his father, Shall I be a teacher or a singer?

Luciano, his father replied, if you try to sit on two chairs, you will fall between them. For life, you must choose one chair.

In Luke 14:25-35, Jesus presented a similar message to a large crowd of people who were following Him. His sermon made it clear that He wanted single-minded commitment. He wanted men and women who had truly counted the cost of discipleship and were prepared to follow Him. So He listed the DEMANDS (vv.26-27), DECISIONS (vv.28-33), and DISTINCTIVENESS (vv.34-35) of DISCIPLESHIP.

In His message, Jesus gave illustrations of two people who start a project without counting the cost. The consequences of failing to do so include shame and humiliation.

While counting the cost implies that time and thought are required when one considers becoming a disciple of Jesus, no one has the resources to follow Him on his or her own. He gives us what we need to follow Him. Counting the cost, therefore, is not about evaluating whether we have what it takes to do what He commands; rather, it indicates a real commitment to let go of anything that could come between Jesus and us. We must choose to place Him before family and possessions, and to take up our cross daily. We are then freed to follow Him fully in complete allegiance and dependence.

Its been said that there are only two ways to take a thing seriously, either reject it or risk everything for it. Discipleship begins by recognizing the high price required, and without reserve casting ourselves upon the sustaining grace and strength found in Jesus alone.
Poh Fang Chia, Our Daily Journey

Luke 14:25-35
25 Large crowds were traveling with Jesus, and turning to them he said:

DEMANDS

26 "If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters-- yes, even his own life-- he cannot be my disciple.
27 And anyone who does not carry his cross and follow me CANNOT be my disciple.

DECISIONS

28 "Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Will he not first sit down and estimate the cost to see if he has enough money to complete it?
29 For if he lays the foundation and is not able to finish it, everyone who sees it will ridicule him,
30 saying, 'This fellow began to build and was not able to finish.'
31 "Or suppose a king is about to go to war against another king. Will he not first sit down and consider whether he is able with ten thousand men to oppose the one coming against him with twenty thousand?
32 If he is not able, he will send a delegation while the other is still a long way off and will ask for terms of peace.
33 In the same way, any of you who does not give up everything he has cannot be my disciple.

DISTINCTIVENESS

34 "Salt is good, but if it loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again?
35 It is fit neither for the soil nor for the manure pile; it is thrown out. "He who has ears to hear, let him hear." (NIV)

Unless we LOVE the truth, we cannot know it ~~ Pascal

Last edited by Forerunner on March 31st, 2010, 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 31st, 2010, 1:54 pm #2

That his father...
Didn't really know...
What he was talking about.

Pavarotti Grew So Large...
That he NEEDED Two Chairs...
-- For His Oversized Butt.

-PRev1-

President Barrack Hussein Obama

-- Nobel Peace Prize, 2009 --
"War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength."
-- George Orwell, "1984" --

March 31st, 2010, 4:35 pm #3

for that assertion ........ like maybe Bible or Wikipedia?

The best I could find on Pavarotti's butt + two chairs was this ...

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1212241/e ... _2_chairs/

-Vince

March 31st, 2010, 4:41 pm #4

That his father...
Didn't really know...
What he was talking about.

Pavarotti Grew So Large...
That he NEEDED Two Chairs...
-- For His Oversized Butt.

-PRev1-

With your head up there.

March 31st, 2010, 8:10 pm #5

for that assertion ........ like maybe Bible or Wikipedia?

The best I could find on Pavarotti's butt + two chairs was this ...

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1212241/e ... _2_chairs/

-Vince
<blockquote>[#52] MadameConcorde From Antigua and Barbuda, joined Feb 2007, 5342 posts, RR: 28
Reply 52, posted Wed Jan 20 2010 12:20:33 your local time (2 months 1 week 2 days 23 hours ago) and read 4908 times:
<blockquote>Quoting CoachClass (Reply 33):
It's not an issue of being fat, but of size. I think a professional wrestler or body builder would impinge on my space just as much as Luciano Pavarotti.
</blockquote>
Each time Luciano Pavarotti flew on Concorde, which was quite frequent as he travelled between New York and London or Milano via CDG (think of the Metropolitan, Covent Garden and La Scala) he always had his agent buying two seats for himself.
-PRev1-
</blockquote>

March 31st, 2010, 8:57 pm #6

Ok then.

-Vince

JB
JB

March 31st, 2010, 11:30 pm #7

With your head up there.

REAL christians don't lie. JB

April 1st, 2010, 1:50 pm #8

With your head up there.

I'd just ask where You get YOUR Furniture.

-PRev1-

April 1st, 2010, 7:27 pm #9

You would find nothing there fitting for you.

April 1st, 2010, 8:27 pm #10

REAL christians don't lie. JB
So should I assume you never heard of the figurative. It's funny you never claim I'm lying when I say you are ignorant.

Last edited by Forerunner on April 2nd, 2010, 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.