Let's stir the pot with "the truth".

Let's stir the pot with "the truth".

February 9th, 2010, 12:57 am #1

Aging effects the brain - including memory and cognitive abilities. This, a demonstrated medical and biological fact.

So then... Why does it seem then that the elderly are the first to argue that they are right above all others, and even demand respect of their views regardless of their validity?

February 9th, 2010, 1:38 am #2

so what validates the elderly to my 6 yr old grandaughter you are elderly...

February 9th, 2010, 2:02 am #3

Like so many things, it would seem that there is a bell-curve of sorts where the prime cognitive years of "growing & learning" would be 0 to 25. The prime years of experience from 25-40. Cognitive decline from 40 to 50. And cognitive degeneration from 50+.

Searching around the Internet, you'll find sources that mark the shrinking of the brain and notable decline of cognitive abilities to begin somewhere from 50 to 70 years of age.

And for this discussion rather than the "relative scale" of elderly, the absolute scale would be more applicable. So anyone in the 70+ age would be considered elderly.

February 9th, 2010, 2:03 am #4

so what validates the elderly to my 6 yr old grandaughter you are elderly...
What is "The Truth"?

As an aside, whose "The Truth" is it?

Sea

~~~

February 9th, 2010, 2:07 am #5

Like so many things, it would seem that there is a bell-curve of sorts where the prime cognitive years of "growing & learning" would be 0 to 25. The prime years of experience from 25-40. Cognitive decline from 40 to 50. And cognitive degeneration from 50+.

Searching around the Internet, you'll find sources that mark the shrinking of the brain and notable decline of cognitive abilities to begin somewhere from 50 to 70 years of age.

And for this discussion rather than the "relative scale" of elderly, the absolute scale would be more applicable. So anyone in the 70+ age would be considered elderly.
I can agree with that but one must also consider there are many things that can be done to slow aging and even reverse some of its negative effects. I is sorta nice to start some of this process at a young age as well. Health is somewhat in our hands no...

February 9th, 2010, 2:09 am #6

What is "The Truth"?

Sea

~~~
For this discussion it would work to consider "the truth" to be the current understanding & accepted fact as established by experience, observation, and corroborated by scientific study.

If others have a proposition that shows that aging does not effect cognitive abilities, they can bring forth their argument and logic for review.
Last edited by ever-a-newbie on February 9th, 2010, 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 9th, 2010, 2:12 am #7

I can agree with that but one must also consider there are many things that can be done to slow aging and even reverse some of its negative effects. I is sorta nice to start some of this process at a young age as well. Health is somewhat in our hands no...
It doesn't address the point though... What about elderly folks that have lost their cognitive abilities? They deserve respect for the lives they've lived and the difference they've made in the world & people around them, without question.

However, are their viewpoints, and logic & reasoning to be accepted, knowing that the source is faulty?

February 9th, 2010, 2:13 am #8

What is "The Truth"?

Sea

~~~
Is an answer.

Sea

~~~

February 9th, 2010, 2:17 am #9

For this discussion it would work to consider "the truth" to be the current understanding & accepted fact as established by experience, observation, and corroborated by scientific study.

If others have a proposition that shows that aging does not effect cognitive abilities, they can bring forth their argument and logic for review.
Ever consider proof is in the living...age in many cases is just a number...wisdom seems to come with age in most cases. I think one can see many changes in taking care of the mind and body today in many effective ways.

February 9th, 2010, 2:20 am #10

And understandable... It really avoids confronting the question, though. Which seems to be the real-root-cause of the problem with the question - those that are candidates that might be effected by it don't want to accept the reality of the question. It seem one of those situation that people always see happening to others yet deny that it will happen, or is happening, to them.