Jesus was a Jew, yes?

Jesus was a Jew, yes?

November 6th, 2010, 7:55 pm #1

Question:

How did a religion spring up allegedly from a Jew who would not have heard of Original Sin?

Thks.

Why do I ask? I have just read an article about Jews for Jesus.

Jews for Jesus claims that Jews must put faith in Jesus as their savior from sin. Original sin is an inherently Christian belief and, according to Judaism, sin is an act, not a state of being (Jews for Judaism). The Torah does not teach that humans are born with sin, but that individual repentance is necessary when a person strays from the commandments of God. In other words, Jews do not believe that one person (namely, Jesus) is capable of repenting for all of humanity's sins through his death.

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jso ... Jesus.html

Love
Jackie

Seoc Colla
Seoc Colla

November 6th, 2010, 9:00 pm #2

Of course, there is no 'sin' - original or otherwise.
The Christian notion of original sin is a theological construct, attempting to put their victims on the back foot and induce feelings of guilt over vicarious suffering. If successful, it makes the victim feel dependent on clergy to 'save' them.

Instead of the vulgar idea of 'sin', consider 'error' as a more accurate representation of the human condition - but as we must correct or own errors such an approach weakens carefully cultivated 'religious' mental bonds.

We will make many errors as we journey through life - we must try our best to learn from them and the onus must be on us to do so.

November 6th, 2010, 9:09 pm #3

Although, not "original sin".
Important Beliefs of Zoroastrianism

8. Belief in sin and expiation of sin. Zoroastrians believe that
life upon earth is fraught with dangers because of the presence of
evil. People can commit sin by not following the religious
instructions of God, by not practicing the three commandments declared
by Zoroaster, namely good thoughts, good words and good deeds, by
indulging in sinful activities such as adultery, sodomy, theft,
pollution of elements, practicing other faiths, not disposing of the
dead according to the prescribed method, touching the dead matter, not
offering prayers and rituals to God, performing sacrificial rituals
for the daevas or evil spirits, not wearing kusti, the sacred thread
and kadre, the upper garment in the prescribed manner, doing business
with malicious intention or evil thoughts, not marrying according to
the instructions given in the scriptures and so on. The scriptures
also prescribe procedures to be followed for the expiation of certain
sins, while for certain mortal sins death is recommended penalty.
Heinous sins are listed in some Zoroastrian texts such as the Menog-i Khrad

November 6th, 2010, 10:03 pm #4

The Christian notion of original sin is a theological construct, attempting to put their victims on the back foot and induce feelings of guilt over vicarious suffering. If successful, it makes the victim feel dependent on clergy to 'save' them.

Instead of the vulgar idea of 'sin', consider 'error' as a more accurate representation of the human condition - but as we must correct or own errors such an approach weakens carefully cultivated 'religious' mental bonds.

We will make many errors as we journey through life - we must try our best to learn from them and the onus must be on us to do so.
I don't believe sin introduces guilt - I believe guilt introduces sin.

No guilt = no sin.

(my never humble opinion)

"Error does not become Truth because it is widely accepted; Truth does not become error, even when it stands alone!"
(Thanks Kristy)

November 6th, 2010, 10:05 pm #5

The definition of sin is "missing the mark" and that's all.

I find it rather amusing and amazing at the same time, that Christians and theologians so EASILY wrap up this commodity of "sin" and sell it like some kind of fake derivative, to each other!~

You ask them for a DEFINITION of sin and ... it's always "breaking God's law." But then you ask WHICH law or laws specifically and the answer is "all of them."~~ Then you ask whether Christians -with their belief in Jesus as savior- do any LESS sinning than an unbeliever and the answer is "no, no one is perfect."

So like ... it becomes totally POINTLESS in a any kind of useful terms, to define WHAT the sacrifice of Jesus actually ACCOMPLISHED for the betterment of humanity! It didn't CHANGE anything ... except that (in the Christian's mind) ... God did something to give himself some kind of sadistic satisfaction.

-Vince

November 6th, 2010, 10:07 pm #6

Although, not "original sin".
Important Beliefs of Zoroastrianism

8. Belief in sin and expiation of sin. Zoroastrians believe that
life upon earth is fraught with dangers because of the presence of
evil. People can commit sin by not following the religious
instructions of God, by not practicing the three commandments declared
by Zoroaster, namely good thoughts, good words and good deeds, by
indulging in sinful activities such as adultery, sodomy, theft,
pollution of elements, practicing other faiths, not disposing of the
dead according to the prescribed method, touching the dead matter, not
offering prayers and rituals to God, performing sacrificial rituals
for the daevas or evil spirits, not wearing kusti, the sacred thread
and kadre, the upper garment in the prescribed manner, doing business
with malicious intention or evil thoughts, not marrying according to
the instructions given in the scriptures and so on. The scriptures
also prescribe procedures to be followed for the expiation of certain
sins, while for certain mortal sins death is recommended penalty.
Heinous sins are listed in some Zoroastrian texts such as the Menog-i Khrad
Now you're getting into the dangerous area of WORKS for righteousness!!

-Vince

November 6th, 2010, 10:09 pm #7

I don't believe sin introduces guilt - I believe guilt introduces sin.

No guilt = no sin.

(my never humble opinion)

"Error does not become Truth because it is widely accepted; Truth does not become error, even when it stands alone!"
(Thanks Kristy)
in the White House! As long as they feel no guilt for screwing the economy ... they have no sin! (??)

-Vince

lox
lox

November 6th, 2010, 10:28 pm #8

Question:

How did a religion spring up allegedly from a Jew who would not have heard of Original Sin?

Thks.

Why do I ask? I have just read an article about Jews for Jesus.

Jews for Jesus claims that Jews must put faith in Jesus as their savior from sin. Original sin is an inherently Christian belief and, according to Judaism, sin is an act, not a state of being (Jews for Judaism). The Torah does not teach that humans are born with sin, but that individual repentance is necessary when a person strays from the commandments of God. In other words, Jews do not believe that one person (namely, Jesus) is capable of repenting for all of humanity's sins through his death.

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jso ... Jesus.html

Love
Jackie
Impossible for man is Possible with God!

November 6th, 2010, 10:28 pm #9

in the White House! As long as they feel no guilt for screwing the economy ... they have no sin! (??)

-Vince
If no guilt, then yes - no guilt = no sin. How can it be sin if one sees no wrong in it? Being mistaken is not being sinful.

Like the psychopath - no guilt = no sin.

"Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth."

(Thanks Kristy)

lox
lox

November 6th, 2010, 10:33 pm #10

Impossible for man is Possible with God!
For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:

Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth:

If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee [shall be] his desire, and thou shalt rule over him.

Look what is got Sodom and Gomorrah!

And the LORD said, Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grievous;

I will go down now, and see whether they have done altogether according to the cry of it, which is come unto me; and if not, I will know.

And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear you, when ye depart thence, shake off the dust under your feet for a testimony against them. Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for that city.