Is becoming like God good or evil?

July 5th, 2012, 7:29 pm #1

I would like to restrict giving God any other attribute except for knowing good and evil in this thread. Just for simplicity.

I have two quotes I would like you to consider.

Behold, the man has become like one of Us, to know good and evil.

Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Knowing good and evil is the same as developing or gaining a moral sense. This is something that all governments and religions wish to develop in us and seems like a good idea to me.

If being perfect like God means that we must have the knowledge of good and evil, then Adam and Eve had to eat of the tree of knowledge ---- if they were to accomplish what most seem to think is a worthy goal. Morals. As God says in Eden, such is to have your eyes opened. A good thing IOW.

In the Jewish view, A & E did the right thing and they name it our elevation. In the Christian view, they did the wrong thing and call it our fall.

Is becoming as Gods, in the moral sense, good or evil?

If evil, please explain what is evil about developing a moral sense and following scriptures that tell us to be as Gods.

Regards
DL

JVH

July 5th, 2012, 10:00 pm #2

That's like asking is being able to breath a good or a bad thing.

The point is not, of course, whether it is one or the other, "the point" is you already are.

<p align="center">just because you do not realize you are immortal doesn't mean you are not

rejected and denied by many, accepted and embraced by few : falsifiability
- it is not what we (think we) know that matters, it is what we can show true that does
as the maxim demands; truth is demonstrably fact and fact is demonstrably true
everything else ... mere BS -

New!! Improved!! Now With CDEH-Formula!!

CD: short for inevitability

July 5th, 2012, 11:29 pm #3

I would like to restrict giving God any other attribute except for knowing good and evil in this thread. Just for simplicity.

Knowing good and evil is the same as developing or gaining a moral sense. This is something that all governments and religions wish to develop in us and seems like a good idea to me.

If being perfect like God means that we must have the knowledge of good and evil, then Adam and Eve had to eat of the tree of knowledge ---- if they were to accomplish what most seem to think is a worthy goal. Morals. As God says in Eden, such is to have your eyes opened. A good thing IOW.

In the Jewish view, A & E did the right thing and they name it our elevation. In the Christian view, they did the wrong thing and call it our fall.

If evil, please explain what is evil about developing a moral sense and following scriptures that tell us to be as Gods.

Regards
DL
There is no such thing as Good and Evil, only our perception regarding something.

My perception of knowing my perception of Good and Evil? Good.

July 6th, 2012, 2:37 am #4

Regards
DL
RE:If being perfect like God means that we must have the knowledge of good and evil, then Adam and Eve had to eat of the tree of knowledge ----

Adam and Eve were perfect and sinless before they ate of the fruit. It is because of their disobedience that they became imperfect. The text stating that they have become like us refers to the ability they have taken upon themselves to decide for themselves what is right and wrong instead of subjecting themselves to God's decrees.
Since mankind was not created with the ability to decide for themselves what is right and wrong they also became sinners because to "sin" in Bible terminology means to miss the mark, in this case, missing the mark of obedience to God.
People today of course have many different opinions about this, but according to the Bible having a perfect moral sense means accepting God's standards instead of chosing our own.
(Romans 10:3) . . ., because of not knowing the righteousness of God but seeking to establish their own, they did not subject themselves to the righteousness of God. . .

Although the Bible does say that we are of divine nature or Gods (Psalm 82:6) 6 I myself have said, you are gods, And all of you are sons of the Most High.
(John 10:34) . . .Jesus answered them: Is it not written in your Law, I said: YOU are gods?

Nonetheless nowhere are we encouraged to strive to be God's but rather to reflect his quality, thus the reference that we are made in his "image". Image being a reflection of the original.
Even Jesus did not presume to take Gods place. (Philippians 2:6) . . .although he was existing in Gods form, gave no consideration to a seizure, namely, that he should be equal to God. . .

All the best

Tim
Tim

July 6th, 2012, 6:48 am #5

Regards
DL
We have the freedom from GOD to be Hitler or Gandhi.

And without the experience what would you conclude your knowledge would be about good and evil? You wouldn't have a clue, but maybe only ideas.

GOD has allowed us to experience the fully blossomed thorns of life and also the love of life, so we know the difference.

If you were GOD what would you do for your children?

If you have children or if you did, would you let them experience pain from heat of the stove, and sunburn, and working, and all the things involved in life?

"LIFE" is the KEY word DL.

We are the superior LIFE in our known universe DL.
Don't you try and tell me we came from a giant Fire Cracker.
How about a Giant Bottle Rocket!!!! Ya that must be where we are from....

DL, there is a reason why the words "BONE HEAD" was invented.

Keep learning DL
Tim

July 7th, 2012, 12:05 pm #6

That's like asking is being able to breath a good or a bad thing.

The point is not, of course, whether it is one or the other, "the point" is you already are.

<p align="center">just because you do not realize you are immortal doesn't mean you are not

rejected and denied by many, accepted and embraced by few : falsifiability
- it is not what we (think we) know that matters, it is what we can show true that does
as the maxim demands; truth is demonstrably fact and fact is demonstrably true
everything else ... mere BS -

New!! Improved!! Now With CDEH-Formula!!

CD: short for inevitability
I am already what?
Are we all?

What is your theology?

Regards
DL

July 7th, 2012, 12:07 pm #7

There is no such thing as Good and Evil, only our perception regarding something.

My perception of knowing my perception of Good and Evil? Good.
Good.

Why do you think God thought it evil and punished A & E?
Was he right to do so?

Regards
DL

July 7th, 2012, 12:13 pm #8

RE:If being perfect like God means that we must have the knowledge of good and evil, then Adam and Eve had to eat of the tree of knowledge ----

Adam and Eve were perfect and sinless before they ate of the fruit. It is because of their disobedience that they became imperfect. The text stating that they have become like us refers to the ability they have taken upon themselves to decide for themselves what is right and wrong instead of subjecting themselves to God's decrees.
Since mankind was not created with the ability to decide for themselves what is right and wrong they also became sinners because to "sin" in Bible terminology means to miss the mark, in this case, missing the mark of obedience to God.
People today of course have many different opinions about this, but according to the Bible having a perfect moral sense means accepting God's standards instead of chosing our own.
(Romans 10:3) . . ., because of not knowing the righteousness of God but seeking to establish their own, they did not subject themselves to the righteousness of God. . .

Although the Bible does say that we are of divine nature or Gods (Psalm 82:6) 6 I myself have said, you are gods, And all of you are sons of the Most High.
(John 10:34) . . .Jesus answered them: Is it not written in your Law, I said: YOU are gods?

Nonetheless nowhere are we encouraged to strive to be God's but rather to reflect his quality, thus the reference that we are made in his "image". Image being a reflection of the original.
Even Jesus did not presume to take Gods place. (Philippians 2:6) . . .although he was existing in Gods form, gave no consideration to a seizure, namely, that he should be equal to God. . .

All the best
Too much wrong to deal with everything so let's see if we can chat on one issue at a time.

"Adam and Eve were perfect and sinless before they ate of the fruit."

Perfect is as perfect does so if perfect, God would not have to command them to do or not do anything. Right?

If God is perfect and knows good and evil, then A & E would, if perfect as you say they were, then they too would have already known good and evil before eating of that tree. Right?

Regards
DL

July 7th, 2012, 12:16 pm #9

We have the freedom from GOD to be Hitler or Gandhi.

And without the experience what would you conclude your knowledge would be about good and evil? You wouldn't have a clue, but maybe only ideas.

GOD has allowed us to experience the fully blossomed thorns of life and also the love of life, so we know the difference.

If you were GOD what would you do for your children?

If you have children or if you did, would you let them experience pain from heat of the stove, and sunburn, and working, and all the things involved in life?

"LIFE" is the KEY word DL.

We are the superior LIFE in our known universe DL.
Don't you try and tell me we came from a giant Fire Cracker.
How about a Giant Bottle Rocket!!!! Ya that must be where we are from....

DL, there is a reason why the words "BONE HEAD" was invented.

Keep learning DL
Tim

Thanks for the Christian response and not talking to the issue.

And you want people to be like you and your God. LOL.

Regards
DL

July 7th, 2012, 1:10 pm #10

Good.

Why do you think God thought it evil and punished A & E?
Was he right to do so?

Regards
DL
Why do YOU think "God" had anything to do with it...?
Do you actually believe the tales of Genesis...
-- Are meant to be taken Literally...?
And, If You DO...
Then...
Why on Earth Would YOU Believe...
-- Such Sheer and Utter Nonsense...?

-PRev1-